Daylight Savings and Embarking on Sunday

trihawks1

My daughter and her husband are going on their honeymoon leaving on the Breeze out of Galveston on Sunday, Nov 6. Our question is since daylight savings time changes at 2:00 am on Sunday morning, we are wondering if the ship will also be on daylight savings time. Sorry if this is a silly question but they want to avoid getting there at the wrong time

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Really depends on the Captain. When we sailed during daylight saving time, we didn't adjust our time until after we had our first sea day after leaving all the ports, since none observed DST.

If we had changed the time, we would have been in one port at 6am.

Edited by BuckeyeCruiseGuy

My daughter and her husband are going on their honeymoon leaving on the Breeze out of Galveston on Sunday, Nov 6. Our question is since daylight savings time changes at 2:00 am on Sunday morning, we are wondering if the ship will also be on daylight savings time. Sorry if this is a silly question but they want to avoid getting there at the wrong time

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes it will be.

The ship will be on DST as it uses local time.

Thanks everyone. I had read multiple posts where various ships changed a day or more ahead. They just don't want to arrive at their designated time and be told they have to wait because they are an hour early.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Never read posts about such time changes occurring as you've stated. Boarding times are on whatever time is current. Carnival doesn't make up fictitious times. If it's say 2 o'clock, it's 2 o'clock, not 1 o'clock.

You are mixing up boarding time at the port where you start and changing time during the cruise.

The time you embark on the ship at your starting port will ALWAYS be the same time as every clock in that city.

The same thing with airline flights and train time tables.

They follow the time of the city in which they are located so folks know what time to be at the dock,train station or airport.

After that it is up to the captain once on the ocean.

Thanks everyone. I had read multiple posts where various ships changed a day or more ahead. They just don't want to arrive at their designated time and be told they have to wait because they are an hour early.

That will only happen if the time change occurs while ON the cruise.

When we cruised a couple of years ago our last sea day (Sat) was the night the clocks would 'spring ahead' an hour. The captain changed the ship time one hour ahead on Friday night instead, so we were already on daylight savings time Saturday instead of waiting until debarkation day Sunday.

He said this makes it easier for everyone, but especially the crew. They get that last sea day to make the time adjustment so they can be as rested as possible for turn around day.

I've ready blogs written by folks on long cruises that cross multiple time zones over the course of a week or so, and the captain would change the clocks maybe 1/2 hour at a time, and make the changes in the middle of the day instead of at night. Its all designed to ease the change for everyone, but again...that only happens while the ship is out to sea. When its embarkation/debarkation day, the ship is always on local time.

This is only when the time changes during the cruise. Last year we were on the Dream, set to get back the Sunday that the clocks were supposed to change, and onboard they ended up changing the time on Saturday instead. Probably so people wouldn't be screwed up Sunday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app