Verizon Users: Texting Aboard Getaway

My wife and I are boarding Getaway on Sunday. While on ship and in port in Central America, we would like to text each other (just text, no images) and send occasional text updates to family in the U.S.

Based on our conversations last night with two Verizon CS agents, we are NOT purchasing the iConcierge app, Verizon's international package, or NCL's data plan.

Long talk short, the Verizon agents assured us that we will be able to send texts to each other, both at sea and in port, as well as to text family in the U.S., using our standard Verizon mobile service. The cost is 50 cents outgoing and 5 cents incoming. Verizon explained that its text signals piggyback off NCL's telecom system, per a longstanding agreement.

I would like to verify with actual cruisers, as Verizon's CS team has sometimes given us contradictory information.

Thank you!

For communicating with each other on the ship, you want to use the iConcierge service. The Verizon agent is a moron to tell you anything different. For $9.99/device, you can send unlimited messages to each other on board, place calls, etc.

I use Verizon and I've never used it on a ship, Getaway or otherwise. When messaging family at home, I use iMessage when connected to wifi at ports. If it's an emergency and I need to contact someone from the ship, I call back home via the iConcierge app for $.79/minute.

My phone stays in airplane mode but connected to wifi. I have data turned off. If yours is turned on in order to receive texts, you might also get various other notices from other apps, and find yourself with a nice hefty data bill from Verizon when you get home.

Edited by LrgPizza

I agree with LrgPizza however to answer your question that specifically says you will NOT be purchasing anything extra:

Verizon is "Pay As You Go" on NCL ships:

$1.79/minute

$0.50/message sent

$0.05/message received

$0.25/MMS message sent

$0.25/MMS message received

$0.002 per KB or $2.05 per MB

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/trip-planner-tool/

Edited by esm54687

Verizon has a international travel pass. It costs ten dollars per day per line. You tell them the county/port you are going to be in and it will get turned on. If you don't use it they don't charge you. I had it when I went to Bermuda and I was able to use my phone, text and internet. This plan is only good when you are in port.

Verizon has a international travel pass. It costs ten dollars per day per line. You tell them the county/port you are going to be in and it will get turned on. If you don't use it they don't charge you. I had it when I went to Bermuda and I was able to use my phone, text and internet. This plan is only good when you are in port.

I just activated this travel pass for our cruise in Nov. Do you also suggest getting the NCL I concierge?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just activated this travel pass for our cruise in Nov. Do you also suggest getting the NCL I concierge?

If you want to be able to text on the ship when you are at sea with the people you are with I would do it. It is recommended that you download I concierge before you board.

My phone stays in airplane mode but connected to wifi. I have data turned off. If yours is turned on in order to receive texts, you might also get various other notices from other apps, and find yourself with a nice hefty data bill from Verizon when you get home.

Good grief. Verizon last night told me--and I wrote this word for word--that we can still receive texts (on ship or in port), but told us to turn Mobile Data OFF and *not* activate Airplane Mode. He said texts do not need data.

You're saying this is wrong, correct?

Edited by chesapeake2atlantic

Good grief. Verizon last night told me--and I wrote this word for word--that we can still receive texts (on ship or in port), but told us to turn Mobile Data OFF and *not* activate Airplane Mode. He said texts do not need data.

Your rep is correct in his directions.

A normal SMS text will not use data.

sent using Forums mobile app

Edited by esm54687

No, what he told you is correct. I was explaining a different way of doing things, and I see how it was confusing.

Being a Verizon customer, I don't like to pay that much. 99% of the people will recommend iConcierge for messaging on the ship, but if that Verizon guy (who has probably never even used it) tells you otherwise, then by all means...

I guess it depends how much messaging you will be doing with folks back home vs. those on the ship. That's where your math will come into play. Good luck!

Edited by LrgPizza

We just came back from Getaway in early October and are Verizon customers. We were told about the Pay As You Go plan and were told that was the only option with the new plan structure. The rates were as stated in previous posts. As we have done on every cruise, we disabled our data ( in settings) but did not put the phone into airplane mode. (this would prevent texts or calls) If you do receive a call but don't answer it, there are no fees involved.

As we came into our first port (Roatan), I rec'd a text message that did not identify itself as Verizon that offered the $10/day pass for data, calls and texts. Another passenger assured me that he had been told about the plan by Verizon before he left. I was skeptical but I tried it. The pass is valid for 24 hours (or until you leave the range of the port) When we reached Costa Maya, we rec'd the same email offering the plan for $2/day for Mexican ports. Worked like a charm and ended up better than the Pay As You Go. Our bill for the entire cruise was $22. Awesome!

Hope that helps! Enjoy your cruise!

The Other Tom:

The OP indicated "just text no images" so I didn't bother elaborating on MMS or iMessages or FaceTime or Duo or Insta Direct or Twitter DM or Snapchat Chat or Periscope or Skype etc....

but your understanding is correct.. MMS and everything I listed involve data

:)

We just came back from Getaway in early October and are Verizon customers. We were told about the Pay As You Go plan and were told that was the only option with the new plan structure. The rates were as stated in previous posts. As we have done on every cruise, we disabled our data ( in settings) but did not put the phone into airplane mode. (this would prevent texts or calls) If you do receive a call but don't answer it, there are no fees involved.

As we came into our first port (Roatan), I rec'd a text message that did not identify itself as Verizon that offered the $10/day pass for data, calls and texts. Another passenger assured me that he had been told about the plan by Verizon before he left. I was skeptical but I tried it. The pass is valid for 24 hours (or until you leave the range of the port) When we reached Costa Maya, we rec'd the same email offering the plan for $2/day for Mexican ports. Worked like a charm and ended up better than the Pay As You Go. Our bill for the entire cruise was $22. Awesome!

Hope that helps! Enjoy your cruise!

I have to look into this for my upcoming Panama Canal Cruise at the end of January. I got the same texts on the Getaway cruise a couple weeks ago, but didn't really pay attention to them.

So to enable my head to wrap around this. For $10 in Roatan, you had data calls and texts? Was there a limit on the Data? Did the data use go toward your monthly data usage, or was it separate? I don't use that much data, but just checking to be clear.

Thanks

I have to look into this for my upcoming Panama Canal Cruise at the end of January. I got the same texts on the Getaway cruise a couple weeks ago, but didn't really pay attention to them.

So to enable my head to wrap around this. For $10 in Roatan, you had data calls and texts? Was there a limit on the Data? Did the data use go toward your monthly data usage, or was it separate? I don't use that much data, but just checking to be clear.

Thanks

I have used the travel pass in Europe. What is does for $10 a day ($2 in Mexico and Canada) is puts your plan in effect for 24 hours. You must be in port. You have use of data, calls and text. I would call Verizon before I leave home to make sure you have the travel pass listed on your plan. If you don't you might get charged roaming fees.

When I've added Verizon travel plans to my phone before trips, I use the live chat function on their website. This is good because I can ask all my questions, they can make the changes right then, but then I have an actual written transcript of the entire conversation and change in case there is a problem later on with a bill. (For the record, I've never had a problem, but I do this just in case.) I'd suggest doing this.

Edited by LrgPizza

Thanks

We have this plan for trips to the UK. It includes 100 texts, 100 minutes, per day, plus your regular data plan. You only get charged if you use your phone that day.

Travel Pass will give you access to your existing plans..... so if you have the "L" plan, that's what you will be using (text, calls and data use your plan as if you were home)

Go back to post #3 where I included a link to Verizon Travel Tool..... it's important to look at that because not every country is covered (whether it's technology or something else)..... I'm heading to The Bahamas in two weeks and The Bahamas are not included in Travel Pass.

You can have Travel Pass added to your account today without any charge so you don't have to wait for those texts.

We have this plan for trips to the UK. It includes 100 texts, 100 minutes, per day, plus your regular data plan. You only get charged if you use your phone that day.

I had the plan you are describing last year and was told it was not available this fall. That may be based on where I was going. Maybe it is still an option for the UK. I would have loved to have known about the Travel Pass before I left. I called Verizon and specifically asked if I had any other options instead of Pay As You Go and was told no. Just like anything, it depends on who you are lucky enough to speak to. lol.

Here is a link to the details from Verizon's site.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/international-travel/

This should tell you everything you need. Whatever plan you decide to use, I would activate it through a chat session. You can print all the details what the representative tells you about the plan and answers to any questions you have. I did this so I had written reminders of exactly how I should set my phone up once I got to the ship. I just need to do this because I getting too old to remember squat.

Edited by kickbutt10

I had the plan you are describing last year and was told it was not available this fall. That may be based on where I was going. Maybe it is still an option for the UK. I would have loved to have known about the Travel Pass before I left. I called Verizon and specifically asked if I had any other options instead of Pay As You Go and was told no. Just like anything, it depends on who you are lucky enough to speak to. lol.

Here is a link to the details from Verizon's site.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/international-travel/

This should tell you everything you need. Whatever plan you decide to use, I would activate it through a chat session. You can print all the details what the representative tells you about the plan and answers to any questions you have. I did this so I had written reminders of exactly how I should set my phone up once I got to the ship. I just need to do this because I getting too old to remember squat.

I checked my account online, and it appears it's still there (I don't cancel it, because I'm only charged when the phone is used overseas). It looks like it's still available in Ireland.

I have used the travel pass in Europe. What is does for $10 a day ($2 in Mexico and Canada) is puts your plan in effect for 24 hours. You must be in port. You have use of data, calls and text. I would call Verizon before I leave home to make sure you have the travel pass listed on your plan. If you don't you might get charged roaming fees.

When I've added Verizon travel plans to my phone before trips, I use the live chat function on their website. This is good because I can ask all my questions, they can make the changes right then, but then I have an actual written transcript of the entire conversation and change in case there is a problem later on with a bill. (For the record, I've never had a problem, but I do this just in case.) I'd suggest doing this.

Thanks for the INFO EVERYONE. I will now go to the verizon website and see what it says. LrgPizza, I love the idea of the online chat. I've used that with other companies and copied the chats "just in case"

wow! that sucks that travel pass isnt available in the Bahamas!! It worked so well in Bermuda and Turks ! I wonder if its because there are SO many Bahama Islands

I agree [emoji30]

and with GSC closed and an extra day in Nassau (zero complaints about this), I just have to suffer and go to Dunkin Donuts for WiFi of needed. 😁 😁

In case people missed my humor...... I love DD so it's really not a hardship

Edited by esm54687

Thanks for the information, folks.

I *did* use Verizon service on two days of our last cruise, but of the approx. 10 texts I sent to my wife or family back in the U.S., perhaps half arrived several hours after I sent them or never arrived at all.

While iConcierge looks great on paper, there are many complaints on this message board. Futhermore, it's rates only 3.1 out of 5 at Google Play Store, with complaints similar to those re: Verizon. Perhaps any ship's telecom network gets so overloaded with texts (SMS and MMS), and emails, that they throttle down on them at peak periods, giving priority to ship communications.

We might send 6 SMS texts a day. Luddite Mode.