Cost per day to upgrade from classic to prem drinks package

dx052

Going on the Eclipse in a few weeks with the classic package on a 14 night cruise and would like to know the cost per day to upgrade to the Premium package. We don't have any OBC.

$10 pp + 18% gratuity = 11.80 per person, per day.

Robert

Wait until you are onboard.

On the first night of our recent Millennium cruise, the sommelier offered us a 2 for 1 upgrade to premium - an offer we couldn't refuse.

I have never heard of anyone getting that big a discount for upgrading. Have any others had that experience?

Robert

Wait until you are onboard.

On the first night of our recent Millennium cruise, the sommelier offered us a 2 for 1 upgrade to premium - an offer we couldn't refuse.

Where was the sailing? Our last 3 have all been in the Carribean and nary a discount could be found! ☹️

Going on the Eclipse in a few weeks with the classic package on a 14 night cruise and would like to know the cost per day to upgrade to the Premium package. We don't have any OBC.

If you are on the Go big promotion with free classic beverage package, give your TA or Celebrity a call and enquire about the cost of upgrading to the Go best promotion. With this promotion you get included gratuities, 150 pp OBC, free unlimited internet and the premium beverage package. We got this upgrade for less than the value of gratuities and OBC so we basically got internet and the premium beverage package upgrade for free.

Where was the sailing? Our last 3 have all been in the Carribean and nary a discount could be found! ☹️

Our sailing was from Yokohama to Shanghai in September. I had read on cc about others getting that offer, so we waited until we were actually on the ship. (If we didn't get the offer, we planned to upgrade for the last 5 days of our cruise.)

We are also on the Eclipse for 14 nighter (13/11). I have recently upgraded to premium and I did it by calling Celebrity UK direct and it cost me £251 for the 2 of us. For less than £9 each per night, I consider it money well spent.

I have never known any on-board discount for this. That is why I've always done it beforehand.

Don't know if this is any help?

We are also on the Eclipse for 14 nighter (13/11). I have recently upgraded to premium and I did it by calling Celebrity UK direct and it cost me £251 for the 2 of us. For less than £9 each per night, I consider it money well spent.

I have never known any on-board discount for this. That is why I've always done it beforehand.

Don't know if this is any help?

Hi

Is there any advantage of upgrading before you get on board or is it the same price

Thanks Terry

Hi

Is there any advantage of upgrading before you get on board or is it the same price

Thanks Terry

I'm going to do it before we sail in March. Only $300 OBC and I have plans for that. 😁 Want all these incidentals done before we board.

Carol

Hi

Thanks Terry

Disregarding any discounts that might be available on that particular sailing, there is no difference in cost between booking before hand or while on board.

A couple of things to think about: (1) You can "try out" the classic package and see if you are happy with it first. Then if you decide that you want to upgrade, you can do so on the spot, and if that happens to be one or two days later, then you've saved the upgrade cost for the days that you didn't upgrade. (2) If you did have a lot of On Board Credit, you could use that credit by upgrading on board the ship. (3 and this is the criteria I use) If you pay ahead of time, there's a good likelihood that you've forgotten the pain of paying for it already, and it feels almost free.

Anyway you do it, Terry, you'll enjoy the cruise. Oh, and in my opinion, the best reason to upgrade is that you may want to drink a drink that is more than what is covered by either package. An after dinner port, some of the better wines served in the Specialty Restaurants, even a couple of World Class Bar drinks cost more than either of the packages. In that case, someone who has the Classic pays the total cost of that drink, while someone who has the Premium pays only the difference between the package max and the cost of the drink.

Here's another consideration when upgrading on the ship. Depending upon your embarkation port, some require the ship to charge local sales tax. Any purchases made before you get to international waters will be charged that tax which goes to the local port's municipality. Ask the bartender or look for table tents that point out the tax. In Ft Lauderdale earlier this year, it cost me an extra $5.85 cents sales tax.

So wait until you're underway to upgrade if you're going to do it the first night without sales tax. Keep in mind that if you do upgrade the first night, you're paying the full price for only a few hours. If the premium call is worth it to you then the previous won't matter. :D

Edited by ChucktownSteve

In Ft Lauderdale earlier this year, it cost me an extra $5.85 cents sales tax.

:D

Ft Lauderdale? That's the first time I've heard that. I've heard that was true in Barcelona. I've never sailed from Spain. But I've never had to pay additional at any port in Florida, and when I prepaid my upgrade for my December cruise from Port Everglades, there was no additional tax. This must be new.

Ft Lauderdale? That's the first time I've heard that. I've heard that was true in Barcelona. I've never sailed from Spain. But I've never had to pay additional at any port in Florida, and when I prepaid my upgrade for my December cruise from Port Everglades, there was no additional tax. This must be new.

You don't pay the tax if you prepay the upgrade before the cruise. We were on the Connie in February when it happened in Ft. Lauderdale. I upgraded at the sunset bar before we left the dock. I didn't see the little plastic holders about 6" high that pointed out the local tax. Next time you embark there, see if the bars don't have them.

We are sailing from Barcelona funny enough.so will we pay more tax?

Thanks terry

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

If you are sailing from Barcelona on an itinerary that does not leave the EU, you will be charged VAT. What is your itinerary?

Monte Carlo qualifies as a non EU for tax purposes. If you include a non EU port, you'll only be charged Spanish tax while you are in their waters. Otherwise I would pre-purchase the drinks and restaurant packages before embarkation.

If you are sailing from Barcelona on an itinerary that does not leave the EU, you will be charged VAT. What is your itinerary?

26th may 2017 france spain Adriatic coast includes monaco

Here's another consideration when upgrading on the ship. Depending upon your embarkation port, some require the ship to charge local sales tax. Any purchases made before you get to international waters will be charged that tax which goes to the local port's municipality. Ask the bartender or look for table tents that point out the tax. In Ft Lauderdale earlier this year, it cost me an extra $5.85 cents sales tax.

So wait until you're underway to upgrade if you're going to do it the first night without sales tax. Keep in mind that if you do upgrade the first night, you're paying the full price for only a few hours. If the premium call is worth it to you then the previous won't matter. :D

Our last 3 Celebrity cruises have been in Nov from Miami, and 2 from Port Everglades in Ft Lauderdale. We have upgraded all 3 sailings, and never paid any tax. Sounds like you got snookered! :D