Adding a child to cabin 2 weeks before cruise date

EBONI325

My cousin has a inside cabin booked on the sunshine. Her 7 ear old was to stay with a grandparent but now she can't keep him, does anyone know if he could be added to the cabin at this late date.it's her and her husband in the cabin now.

Her travel agent said they can't contact carnival until Monday morning and she's very nervous about this.

Anyone have any feedback on this? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks

Several things will determine if the third person can be added.

The stateroom must be classed or rated for three. (Not likely but possible)

The ship can not have reach capacity.

There will also be the issue of rate. I would normally say it might depend on the rate of the original purchase but at two weeks before sailing I am not sure. At the very least the third person will be charged the current rate.

Your cousin might want to look at what staterooms are available so at least that is done.

What I don't understand if why the TA say they have to wait to call. The call center is open 24/7. Can TA's only deal with certain individuals at Carnival?

I hope your cousin is able to add the little one without problems. Sailing with kids is different but still a wonderful vacation.

it depends on a few things.

first - is the ship sold out? if by 2 weeks from now you mean the nov 11th cruise, they have interior, balcony and suites (no ov) available. in fact, all the sunshine sailings i see in november have availability at this time.

ETA: if this is indeed the nov 11 sailing, i just checked and no there are no interiors that *i see* on the website for 3, they are sold out. balconies are still available but are of course more expensive.

second - can a third passenger be accommodated in the room they have booked? i can't tell you this without knowing the room number. many cabins can accommodate a 3rd passenger with pull down bunks, couches (but interiors do not have these), and sunshine is one of the older ships that should still accommodate a trundle / rollaway bed. if the room they have booked cannot have 3, then you need to see if there is a room that DOES. further, it also depends on what the lifeboat capacity is in those sections. even if there are rooms that can accommodate 3 or more, if the lifeboats are to maximum capacity, then they cannot book more into those sections and those berths have to sail empty. lots of variables here, carnival will have to advise.

so there's the answer to the question of whether it will be possible or not.

as for not being able to talk to carnival until monday i'm inclined to call BS on that one. if your cousin was booked with carnival direct, she could call them RIGHT NOW or any day 24/7 at the 800 number and ask these kind of questions / make changes. granted maybe the TA is waiting for her own inside sales rep, but i would be very surprised if a TA couldn't contact carnival just like i can when i'm in control of my own booking (booked direct - via PVP or the 800 number - even if a PVP isn't available you can still talk to the CVS at the 800 number about stuff like this). this is why i book direct.

good luck :)

Edited by falkcor

It looks like it may be the Sunshine Nov 11 sailing because you are going on that one to?

The bad news is there doesn't seem to be any triple or quad inside rooms available.

The good news is there are in balconies-----

Thats the worse case scenario she would have to upgrade to a balcony.

I am thinking your agent may be asking customer service if she can attach child to her INSIDE room, since there is the sailing is not closed.

I would think it would need a bunk?

I have been on a ship where they made a bunk on the floor/? It was like a low cot?

They wanted a adult to sleep in it and it was only 4 feet long?

GOOD LUCK

Thanks so much for the quick replies, I also couldn't understand why they have to wait until Monday. I know there's 24/7 service.

I also told her about the cabin only holding a certain amount, this being her first cruise she thought she could just put him in the bed with her and hubby. I also told her it depended on whether the ship was at capacity.

I really think she may be disappointed, but i'm praying it'll all work for them, they were so looking forward to this cruise.

My cousin has a inside cabin booked on the sunshine. Her 7 ear old was to stay with a grandparent but now she can't keep him, does anyone know if he could be added to the cabin at this late date.it's her and her husband in the cabin now.

Her travel agent said they can't contact carnival until Monday morning and she's very nervous about this.

Translation:Travel agent has other plans this weekend.

Since there are so many TRIPLE balconies left it wouldn't be a issue to upgrade to a balcony- unfortunately that would cost about 1000 more including the child( third passenger fee)- then a inside.

That's the worse case-

I am wondering if agent is waiting to talk to customer service to see if she can do anything to get the child in the inside cabin?? I doubt its a triple cabin

( with pull down bunk)but as I said I have been on a ship where there had a cot? We were not pleased---because it was too small for a adult but a child would do just fine!

After final payment there is a slim change a triple inside would open up- that would be there perfect scenario--because the third passenger would only cost about 300 to add to that room and the child would have a blast with the waterslides and kids group!

I am just doing educated guesses here with pricing lol

Keep us posted and good luck

Customer service is open today- There were 10 triples in balconies last night and only 1 today as of 9 this morning. This cant wait until Monday.

Call and explain ASAP that she cannot get hold of agent and she will not be able to go if she cannot get a reservation for her son-

If someone in your family and has a triple or quad room maybe he would be able to go into theirs but they must have an available triple on board to make room for him.

Hopefully this balcony will be available when they call today-

Contact customer service explain everything - they may help if they knew that you may need to cancel reservation due to delemia--

Now if someone just put their reservation on a 12 hour hold without a down payment maybe another cabin will become available if they decide not to go but as of now there is only 1 triple left on ship- who lnows how long that will last

Call carnival ASAP

A few thoughts...

Yes, she can add the child; she will pay whatever the prevailing rate is though for a third person. This is almost always much less than the rates for the first two people though.

The travel agent flat out lied saying that they can't contact Carnival until Monday. My travel agent had zero issues working with Carnival late on a Saturday night in order to fix an error with our upcoming cruise. That's a lazy travel agent who didn't want to work weekends or deal with the problem.

Your cousin MAY need to change stateroom locations, some staterooms ONLY hold two people, some only hold three, and some hold four or five. If they are in a stateroom that is only for two, then they will be moved. Carnival will HAPPILY do this, even if there are doubles booked in triples. On our currently booked cruise we have two doubles booked into two triple rooms and have been warned repeatedly that we could be moved in order for a triple to receive our room if need be.

Well everyone it's a done deal, my cousin was able to get her son in the cabin, it was a 3 person cabin. $300 more.

The travel agent is a relative and we have a very large group. Had to speak to the agent handling the group.

Thanks to all who gave feedback, it's much appreciated.