Substitute for Luggage Valet???

Luvcrusn

We're sailing in Dec. from Miami and I have made clear on this site how disappointed we are that the Luggage Valet program is gone.. We've called and emailed X and encouraged others missing the program to do the same. Anyone know of a workaround that doesn't involve getting up at dawn and leaving the ship first off with your own luggage or entering the terminal in a cattle stampede of hassled fellow passengers to claim luggage, then proceed through customs? I checked and as of yet the Mobile Passport App is not available in cruise ports at this time. We did apply for TSA Pre-check, but that only helps at the airport.:confused::mad:

We're sailing in Dec. from Miami and I have made clear on this site how disappointed we are that the Luggage Valet program is gone.. We've called and emailed X and encouraged others missing the program to do the same. Anyone know of a workaround that doesn't involve getting up at dawn and leaving the ship first off with your own luggage or entering the terminal in a cattle stampede of hassled fellow passengers to claim luggage, then proceed through customs? I checked and as of yet the Mobile Passport App is not available in cruise ports at this time. We did apply for TSA Pre-check, but that only helps at the airport.:confused::mad:

I actually got a call from customer service Celebrity after emailing them....very impressive customer service, actually!! He told me that it was a lack of people using this as the reason for canceling it. Now, don't jump on me for this response ... I am only the messenger. I even mentioned that everyone I spoke to onboard loved this service.

He did say that other services were available although not allowed, as a Celebrity CS rep, to mention specifics. I am sure if something went awry, you could go back and blame it on Celebrity if they recommended it. I am thinking it is luggage forward as I did mention that during our conversation. I was trying to read his reaction ... I got a feeling that I was right on the money but cannot say he verified my guess. This is from their website:

Have Luggage Delivered Back Home After Your Vacation

You don't want to end your vacation by carrying heavy bags through the airport and waiting at the baggage carousel when you just want to get home. Luggage Forward solves this problem by picking up your luggage at your hotel or other vacation spot and sending your bags back to your home. We offer multiple cost-effective, non-expedited services that are perfect for sending luggage home.

It still sounds like you would have to either carry your luggage off the ship or tag it and go through customs / border control to me. I sure loved the luggage valet service and hopefully somebody can post something more informative than my post on how to duplicate that same service.

Mobile Passport is available in Port Everglades in all terminals by mid-November.

Mobile Passport is available in Port Everglades in all terminals by mid-November.

Do you know anything about Miami? How did you find this out? I emailed and called CBP on Friday and they said it was only in airports as of then, I also called Miami port and they knew nothing about it. I guess I'll download the app beforehand just in case...can't hurt!

I actually got a call from customer service Celebrity after emailing them....very impressive customer service, actually!! He told me that it was a lack of people using this as the reason for canceling it. Now, don't jump on me for this response ... I am only the messenger. I even mentioned that everyone I spoke to onboard loved this service.

He did say that other services were available although not allowed, as a Celebrity CS rep, to mention specifics. I am sure if something went awry, you could go back and blame it on Celebrity if they recommended it. I am thinking it is luggage forward as I did mention that during our conversation. I was trying to read his reaction ... I got a feeling that I was right on the money but cannot say he verified my guess. This is from their website:

Have Luggage Delivered Back Home After Your Vacation

You don't want to end your vacation by carrying heavy bags through the airport and waiting at the baggage carousel when you just want to get home. Luggage Forward solves this problem by picking up your luggage at your hotel or other vacation spot and sending your bags back to your home. We offer multiple cost-effective, non-expedited services that are perfect for sending luggage home.

It still sounds like you would have to either carry your luggage off the ship or tag it and go through customs / border control to me. I sure loved the luggage valet service and hopefully somebody can post something more informative than my post on how to duplicate that same service.

I'll check them out, thanks. It's funny, the X rep that called me after my email said it was discontinued bc of the 1,000's of bags that were lost/not picked up. That didn't make sense, since if it were true, I'm sure there would have been multiple threads on here about it.

I'll check them out, thanks. It's funny, the X rep that called me after my email said it was discontinued bc of the 1,000's of bags that were lost/not picked up. That didn't make sense, since if it were true, I'm sure there would have been multiple threads on here about it.

It certainly defies logic that there were two completely different explanations. I really liked the guy that called me but did challenge him that it wasn't popular with Celebrity passengers.

I only used this service once and it was from Ft Lauderdale ... with one stop in Atlanta before reaching our final destination at SFO .... and it was recent, at that. I absolutely loved it and my bag was the 7th one on the carousel at SFO when we got home. Yooohooo!! Since we don't pack heavy, there was only one bag to check and it was well worth my $20.

What is mobile passport and how does it work?

It is a free app available from US Customs & Border Protection and is available in the Apple and Google app stores. It does not replace passport book or card. It basically is a substitute for the paper blue and white declaration page that you fill out when entering the US. You fill out the form on the app and once you have landed (originally for airports only) you click submit. You get a one time code that is good for 4 hours. You take your phone and luggage and family to the Mobile Passport Line at customs and show the code on your phone and go through the same basic procedure you do with the blue and white paper. It was designed to expedite the process and the good part is a shorter line. I'm hoping it'll soon be instituted at cruise ports. Considering a plane lands and there's several hundred passengers and a cruise disembarks with several thousand it would really help.

Edited by Luvcrusn
sp

Someone posted on here recently that you can use Global Entry at the pier. Hope so.

Nice, but no help to us, we have TSA Pre-check which I don't believe is of any use at the port since it just expedites passage through the security check at the airport.

It is a free app available from US Customs & Border Protection and is available in the Apple and Google app stores. It does not replace passport book or card. It basically is a substitute for the paper blue and white declaration page that you fill out when entering the US. You fill out the form on the app and once you have landed (originally for airports only) you click submit. You get a one time code that is good for 4 hours. You take your phone and luggage and family to the Mobile Passport Line at customs and show the code on your phone and go through the same basic procedure you do with the blue and white paper. It was designed to expedite the process and the good part is a shorter line. I'm hoping it'll soon be instituted at cruise ports. Considering a plane lands and there's several hundred passengers and a cruise disembarks with several thousand it would really help.

Thank you very much!

I also got a call from Celebrity & the woman couldn't be nicer. She did not say specifically why the valet was cancelled but what she did say led me to believe it was complaints on the handling of the luggage & of course, the complaints go to Celebrity. I told her they either needed to re-instate the program or get the ship personnel to change disembarkation. I have had 2 groups of 4 cancel Celebrity & move to a different line because of there is no more Valet program. They like the 9th floor & are older & simply cannot drag those suitcases down the stairs. They just do not like to look for them at the pier. Only once, when I was on the Silhouette at Christmas, the ship's personnel took over the elevators & had each elevator go non-stop to specific floors - up & down. It was great. However, also when you have luggage valet, 4 people can take one taxi to the airport - but not when you have the big suitcases.

She asked if I had anything else I'd like to comment on & I did - #1 Entertainment - so much has been cut & the main shows each evening are all production & when it isn't production, it is members of production doing the whole hour (my sister is 11 days into a 14 day cruise right now & said every show has been production people so far). and #2 Elite Plus is worthless – it is over twice the points of Elite yet the only added benefit is that you get is an extra few mins of internet & an extra bag of laundry. I told her that if the internet is that important to people they’d choose the unlimited option as a perk. With every port having WiFi spots everywhere & the connection is better, we never used the 90 mins. I asked her how many bags of laundry do they think we can do – especially if you are on a 7 night cruise? To do 4 bags, i'd have to bring laundry from home. She added that we get 10% off a wine package – big deal.

I'll get slammed for these 2 complaints but that is my opinion - as well as the people I travel with. You do not have to agree.

When Celebrity abruptly cancelled Luggage Valet, we also abruptly cancelled our cruise for November and booked same sail date on another line who has "no" problems with their Luggage Valet. Why is it Celebrity is the only cruise line that has problems with it:confused: or is it they just don't want to be bothered with it?

When we were on Silhouette in Jan, the valet program was barely mentioned. It therefore makes sense that people did not sign up since the program only got a paragraph in the daily paper on a port day! There was no paperwork delivered to the stateroom....you had to read that paragraph, go to guest relations by noon that day and request a form to utilize the service.

So...not enough people using the service was Celebrity's fault for not making more passengers aware of the program!

#2 Elite Plus is worthless – it is over twice the points of Elite yet the only added benefit is that you get is an extra few mins of internet & an extra bag of laundry. I told her that if the internet is that important to people they’d choose the unlimited option as a perk. With every port having WiFi spots everywhere & the connection is better, we never used the 90 mins. I asked her how many bags of laundry do they think we can do – especially if you are on a 7 night cruise?

Elite Plus is not worthless. They don't always have the internet perk and I can pick another perk with the 240 minutes we get with Elite Plus. But you missed another Elite Plus perk. Complimentary Specialty coffees. Everyone does not buy a beverage package or pick a bev package as a perk. It is a good Elite Plus benefit. Many times it is less expensive to book a residential rate without perks at all than book with Go Big, Better or Best.

Elite Plus is not worthless. They don't always have the internet perk and I can pick another perk with the 240 minutes we get with Elite Plus. But you missed another Elite Plus perk. Complimentary Specialty coffees. Everyone does not buy a beverage package or pick a bev package as a perk. It is a good Elite Plus benefit. Many times it is less expensive to book a residential rate without perks at all than book with Go Big, Better or Best.

I completely agree .... I am not there yet but don't always want to hit up the very crowded coffee house breakfast to get a specialty coffee.

Plus, I am an Mlife member so am really looking forward to hitting elite plus!! I think it is a very generous captain's club program ... especially when I can only afford an inside cabin.

When we were on Silhouette in Jan, the valet program was barely mentioned. It therefore makes sense that people did not sign up since the program only got a paragraph in the daily paper on a port day! There was no paperwork delivered to the stateroom....you had to read that paragraph, go to guest relations by noon that day and request a form to utilize the service.

So...not enough people using the service was Celebrity's fault for not making more passengers aware of the program!

We had the same experience on Connie in February. Had to ask the concierge about it. Barely a mention in the daily bulletin. Previous to that there was a form left in every cabin. Guess X in only interested in getting us booked, not easing the shock of disembarkation. We may reconsider our next cruise.

Anyone know if TSA Pre-check is of any use on disembarkation at the port or only at the airport? I think I know the answer, but hoping there'll be some way out of the cattle herd at cruise end.

Only good for TSA lines at airports.