Need help with cabin and ship selection

Bustersmom

Gosh thats a broad range for sure but counting on all the great CC members to chime in! I have reviewed and lurked for years! Last cruise I think was 2012 on Caribbean Princess. Looking to take a cruise in Jan 2017 (after the holiday crush) and thinking maybe newer ship like Regal? But again so long since last cruise. We loved our aft room even with the big obstruction-really did not bother us-so that being said, can anyone direct us to the best aft cabin on the newer ships? Or perhaps suggest a better cabin? We only get to cruise every so often so want to make each one as good as we can-Many thanks in advance! While I lurk on other boards, I think this one is simply the best! And we are early 60's and think Princess probably continues to serve our needs best-while I think the newer ships are awesome, not sure we need all the bells and whistles entertainment wise-more interested in service and comfort.

You can't go wrong with Princess Cruises! Our first cruise was when I retired in '07 and we have loved each and every one. Any ship, any where, any time! However our next one is on the Emerald Princess: 28 Day Hawaii, Samoa & Fr. Polynesia in Oct. of 2017! We have sailed on small Princess ships and large one and we couldn't tell the difference in service, age or size! Aft cabins particularly Suites are simply wonderful!

Enjoy!

Just Mike

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

Help us narrow down your question.

What embarkation port(s) are you considering?

Are you inquiring about cruises from U.S. ports or from Australia/NZ or S.A.?

Do you want a 7day, 10 day, 15 day cruise, or shorter 4 or 5 day get-a-way?

Where do you want to go?

Edited by sknight

Personally, I do not think you can go wrong with the Regal. She is a lovely ship. I do miss Skywalkers (for the views), but the horizon Cafe makes up for that. You will feel pampered on the ship. The Piaza is always full of entertainment and dancing. It is significantly larger than the other classes of ships. Where ever you go and whatever you sail...enjoy!

I think since we live in upstate NY Florida will be our embarkation point-7 day cruises-caribbean or bermuda cruise-have been to many caribbean ports but only a couple of cruises as I said years ago! Not sure I need a mega ship and would like a more adult passenger list versus children, but we can try and pick times where kids are still in school. Thanks!!

I think since we live in upstate NY Florida will be our embarkation point-7 day cruises-caribbean or bermuda cruise-have been to many caribbean ports but only a couple of cruises as I said years ago! Not sure I need a mega ship and would like a more adult passenger list versus children, but we can try and pick times where kids are still in school. Thanks!!

Ships also leave out of Baltimore MD. I want to retire next to a cruise terminal:rolleyes:.

If you want to sail on Princess you have four ships and a few different itineraries to choose from, all those mentioned are RT Ft. Lauderdale. You will not have many children on board during January. Sme mentioned are more than 7 days.

Coral Princess, approx. 2,000 pax, 10 night partial Panama Canal transit

Regal Princess, approx. 3,600 pax, alternating 7 night eastern and western itineraries.

Royal Princess, approx 3,600 pax, 10 alternating eastern and southern itineraries.

Caribbean Princess, approx 2,600 pax, some 8 night eastern and southern itineraries and some 6 night itineraries.

The Regal and Royal are the newer ships and have lots of positives. The Royal just came out of dry dock where the center stairs were converted for pax. use to reduce some congestion on the center elevators.

I have been on the Coral a number of times. It is my favorite ship. Theater plus a great aft show lounge. Lots of passenger space. Indoor pool. The Panama Canal itinerary is really nice, but it is a little more expensive. Port charges are high to go into the PC.

The Caribbean Princess has one 8 night itinerary that just goes to the ABC islands, 3 ports and 4 sea days. Other itineraries stop at Caribbean and Bahama islands.

On the ships that do alternating you will find may passengers doing b2b's. Can be as high as 30%.

Edited by sknight

Would leaving from Baltimore to a caribbean destination mean a "roughter sea start" I read those people who go out of NJ etc have that kind of experience? Really do not know, but of course for me Baltimore would be driveable!!

I've sailed from Baltimore once, in December 2010 on Celebrity Mercury, and we hit some pretty ugly weather and rough seas off of Cape Hatteras heading down the coast towards Charleston SC and the Bahamas. I don't think this is really all that unusual, especially in the winter months. It may be different (?) if the ship heads well out to sea en route to the Leeward/Windward islands, but if they are hugging the coast for a Western Caribbean itinerary (and there have been those that do leave from NE ports) the cape of NC is nortorious in winter.

Another thing to consider sailing from a port in the NE are the winter temperatures. I'm aware it varies year to year, but that same year I cruised from Baltimore it was very cold sailing down the coast until we were down by Florida (32° when we pulled into Charleston). It was so cold topside on the return trip northbound people were laying in loungers wearing sweats and covered in blankets!

:D

sknight and all others! Thanks so very much for the in depth info! I do see lots of opportunity and of course you have made it easier for me to choose! I do think I want Princess too. So again, many thanks-now I have some investigating to do!!

dmwnc1959: I too think about the weather aspects as well-did I say I am from upstate NY and oh gosh need escapes from brutal winter temps-so I guess a departure from that port would need to be in higher temp times! So back to Florida departures if this is to be a winter cruise! Many, Many thanks!