Money for Baltic Cruise

Kansas Gal

Your credit card will be your best friend for purchases big or small. You have 0 foreign transaction fee? In Stockholm we never used cash at all.

I was ready to use my Credit Card, for my Baltic cruise but yesterday I saw a warning post about the dangers of having a hacker hack your credit card, especially in Russia. They only carried cash.

I feel that I would have read it on CC if someone's credit card were compromised, on a cruise or tour.

The poster was anti credit cards and preferred cash.

I was ready to use my Credit Card, for my Baltic cruise but yesterday I saw a warning post about the dangers of having a hacker hack your credit card, especially in Russia. They only carried cash.

I feel that I would have read it on CC if someone's credit card were compromised, on a cruise or tour.

Credit cards can be hacked any place in the world. They could be hacked just down the street from where you live as easily as when you travel. The possibility of a card being hacked, at least to me, is an absurd reason not to use cards when you travel. But you should have more than one card with you just in case your card either gets hacked or your bank gets suspicious and puts a hold on the card and you only find out if a purchase is declined.

You didn't indicate where you saw this warning, but you're quite right about the CC preference for using credit cards.

Strategies:

o Carry important documents/items in a neck wallet when in port.

o Carry only one credit card at any time. Have another member of your travel party carry one additional credit card in a separate safe place. (Keep other credit cards in the safe on the ship.)

o Alert your bank about your specific travel plans -- dates and itinerary. Banks are increasingly alert about fraudulent use; if you don't alert them that you'll be the one traveling in Europe, they may put a hold on your card. They will also alert you about out-of-character activity on your card. (Look on the back of your credit card, and you'll probably see a phone number to use when calling from foreign countries.)

o Remember, that you are not responsible for fraudulent charges.

No one strategy works for 100% of travelers 100% of the time, but the bank's practice of forgiving fraudulent charges is a good safety net as opposed to being responsible for large amounts of cash. I shudder at the wrongness of this unknown person's advice!

You didn't indicate where you saw this warning, but you're quite right about the CC preference for using credit cards.

Strategies:

o Carry only one credit card at any time. Have another member of your travel party carry one additional credit card in a separate safe place. (Keep other credit cards in the safe on the ship.)

No one strategy works for 100% of travelers 100% of the time, but the bank's practice of forgiving fraudulent charges is a good safety net as opposed to being responsible for large amounts of cash. I shudder at the wrongness of this unknown person's advice!

Excellent advice. Thank You!

I saw the post on one of the NCL Baltic Threads, here on CC. The OP didn't like to use credit cards because he wanted to live within his means. Long story short, he was using cash and didn't like credit cards..

Yes, MATHA, very true. No way will I carry cash to pay for my tours. I will warn my bank about using my card in the Baltics.

I'm not really worried about having my card compromised. Just repeating what I read here on CC. :cool:

If you're personally not worried about having your card compromised and you're aware the warning you read was an outlying opinion, contradicting everything you've read on this board, why give such questionable information additional attention by repeating it?

I see that you've followed up and added that the poster preferred cash because he wanted to live within his means. That's a reasonable point of view. If the NCL poster had stopped there, most people wouldn't have given his advice a moment's thought. Unfortunately, he went farther and indulged in bogus scare tactics and bad advice about Russian hackers.

Recently, I had four charges made with a swipe card -- not an online purchase -- when I was in possession of my original card. The crooks are getting more aggressive and technologically savvy. We caught the charges about two weeks after the date when they occurred; we were looking at our monthly statement. Happily, the bank was cooperative with no pushback or challenge to our claims of fraud.

Stuff happens, but the upside potential outweighs the downside risk of using a credit card.

Strategies:

o Alert your bank about your specific travel plans -- dates and itinerary. Banks are increasingly alert about fraudulent use; if you don't alert them that you'll be the one traveling in Europe, they may put a hold on your card. They will also alert you about out-of-character activity on your card. (Look on the back of your credit card, and you'll probably see a phone number to use when calling from foreign countries.)

o Remember, that you are not responsible for fraudulent charges.

We lost a credit card while on a Mediterranean cruise, most likely in Sorrento. We realized the card was missing after we had returned to the ship. The Royal Caribbean purser's desk was very helpful, offering us a dedicated telephone line with a U.S. connection so that we were able to phone the bank using the 800 toll free number. Ten minutes later, all was well, thanks to a helpful crew. Sometimes there are good endings to potentially not so good credit card stories.

We discussed that up above. There is no harm in requesting a pin so I will not say not to. In most cases, US credit cards will work in unattended kiosks and the like and will not ask for the pin. With other banks, the terminal will ask for the pin but that is simply a decision of the individual bank. There may even be some times, few and far between, where despite the fact you have a pin because of the way your bank programmed its chip, you will be out of luck. However, it is not a necessity to have a pin. There are about 3 banks in the USA that issue pin preferred credit cards which will almost always ask for a pin. However, they are small out of the way federal credit unions. It is unnecessary to stress yourself about pins. More importantly is to get a card with no foreign transaction fee and the best rewards program you can find.

For those who do want a true chip-and-pin card, Pentagon Federal Credit Union offers them on-line. All of their cards are true chip-and-pin, and the one we just obtained has no annual fee, no foreign transaction fees, and no cash advance fees. We had a USAA MasterCard that was chip-and-pin, but when they switched to Visa, those who lived overseas discovered that while they could obtain a pin from USAA, it wasn't embedded on the chip and wouldn't work at many gas stations, unmanned kiosks, etc. It's pretty easy to be eligible even through PenFed - even just having a relative who is active duty or retired military will do the trick, along with a laundry list of other broad categories. (I'm not a paid shill here - just relaying the info.)

We've been to a few places in Europe that wouldn't accept our chip-and-signature (a couple of train stations where the line for an attendant who could take a swipe with signature was long vs the kiosk), and plan to rent a car after our cruise to drive through Germany, so know we'll likely be happy to have it. However, if you don't plan to be in a situation that's unmanned, you'll likely be good with chip-and-signature.

Bon Voyage!

Currency Question; Can you get Rubles, Euro's Krona and Or Krone from the ship Pursor in exchange for U.S. Dollars???

You usually can with most cruse lines but they give you a horrible rate and thus it is not usually advised. Again, the best way to go is with credit cards wherever possible supplemented by ATM withdrawals. As we have noted here, both Denmark and Sweden are well under way to becoming cashless societies.

So do you carry the denominations with you from the U S.??? Suggestion is to have at least some Rubles on you...But don't use a CC in St Petersburg...Same with Estonia and carrying Marks.

Bad Rates and NCL states that they cannot supply the ship.

U S Banks state that they dont have an answer. So just punt???

I thought I answered that. My experiences have always been that if indeed you can do currency exchange on ships, you get an awful awful rate. And frankly they're not in the business of foeign exchange. Also another factor, You lose big time, usually, when you do it on the ship and use a currency other than the currency of the ship since if the ship operates on US$ and you are exchanging GB£ for say €, they will change £ to $ and then $ to € so you would lose on exchange rates twice.

Bottom line remains if at all possible use a credit card with no foreign transaction fee or an ATM card without fees. Ship should be a very last resort if indeed they have the currency you want.

I just went to my bank and got some Euros. I'm hoping I can get away with using Euros, US money and a CC with no fees.

I'm planing to do the same and may be add some rubles if I can get some before leaving.

So do you carry the denominations with you from the U S.??? Suggestion is to have at least some Rubles on you...But don't use a CC in St Petersburg...Same with Estonia and carrying Marks.

I thought Estonia was part of the eurozone since 2011? So no need to get Marks.

Bad Rates and NCL states that they cannot supply the ship.

U S Banks state that they dont have an answer. So just punt???

You will have precious little opportunity to use rubles in St. Pete. Almost all the tours take you to shops that want western currency or take credit cards. On those tours with lunch included, you might have to use rubles to buy an additional drink.

Estonia uses the euro. Not marks.

You will have precious little opportunity to use rubles in St. Pete. Almost all the tours take you to shops that want western currency or take credit cards. On those tours with lunch included, you might have to use rubles to buy an additional drink.

Estonia uses the euro. Not marks.

Thanks Matha!!!

Sorry I meant Euro...and I give up...The question is not being answered So I will continue to try to find answers somewhere other than Cruise Critic.

In all due respect, what question is not being answered? Can you get foreign currency on ships? Sometimes but it is not a good idea because of lousy rates and the fact there are better way of handling.

Denmark and Sweden are moving in the direction of cashless societies. You will be able to use credit cards there reducing the needs for their local currencies.

Estonia and Finland use the euro but credit cards are widely taken.

Most people take tours in St. Petersburg either with the ship or with private organizations. In almost all cases, the need for Rubles is minimum and the tours operate in such a way that you will be guided to shops that deal with euro or US dollars or sterling.

ATM's are widely available in case one does need local currencies. I don't see what else hasn't been answered.

• 1 month later...

I plan to use my credit cards in ports during a Baltic sea and Saint-Petersbourg cruise next June. As I usually do when I travel I intend to advise the banks in advance so they don't block my cards. Since it will be my first cruise I would like to know if I have to let them know about my itinirary day by day or just let them know that I will be in some countries of the Baltic sea and St-Pétersbourg between such and such date.

Thanks for any advice!

I plan to use my credit cards in ports during a Baltic sea and Saint-Petersbourg cruise next June. As I usually do when I travel I intend to advise the banks in advance so they don't block my cards. Since it will be my first cruise I would like to know if I have to let them know about my itinirary day by day or just let them know that I will be in some countries of the Baltic sea and St-Pétersbourg between such and such date.

Thanks for any advice!

I use 2 credit cards when I travel and I let them know which countries I will be visiting (start date to end date). I do not have to let them know where I will be on any particular date, just which countries I will be visiting during a particular time frame (for example - I will be in Europe from September 7, 2017 through November 1, 2017 and am visiting the following countries: Germany, Czech Republic, Poland, Italy - that is the only info that my CC banks require). They don't need my day to day itinerary - lucky for me as my itinerary often changes. I would surmise that it would be the same for you - apprise your bank of the countries you will be visiting and give them a start and end date.

I use 2 credit cards when I travel and I let them know which countries I will be visiting (start date to end date). I do not have to let them know where I will be on any particular date, just which countries I will be visiting during a particular time frame (for example - I will be in Europe from September 7, 2017 through November 1, 2017 and am visiting the following countries: Germany, Czech Republic, Poland, Italy - that is the only info that my CC banks require). They don't need my day to day itinerary - lucky for me as my itinerary often changes. I would surmise that it would be the same for you - apprise your bank of the countries you will be visiting and give them a start and end date.

Thanks dogs4fun!!! Will do just that!!!

My husband's credit card was hacked in Copenhagen last September and the cc company cancelled it. Fortunately, with chips, my card, (as it has a different number, even though it's the same account) remained viable.We could continue to use mine throughout the remainder of our trip abroad. PS...we always notify the cc company before travel anywhere, including other states in the USA as well as foreign countries.

My husband's credit card was hacked in Copenhagen last September and the cc company cancelled it. Fortunately, with chips, my card, (as it has a different number, even though it's the same account) remained viable.We could continue to use mine throughout the remainder of our trip abroad. PS...we always notify the cc company before travel anywhere, including other states in the USA as well as foreign countries.

My credit cards and my husband's are all chip cards. They are less easily hacked from what I have read on the subject.