Money for Baltic Cruise

Kansas Gal

If you shop in Europe, won't they ask for a pin? If you don't have a pin, the merchant may not sell you the item. In the USA, what you say is true. However, I'm thinking of the Baltic countries. I would not expect to use the pin in the US.

Not so. When the merchant runs your card, in almost all cases of USA cards at the choice of the American banks, the primary cvm is signature. A message will flash on the terminal signature required or its equivalent in the local language, a slip will be printed, the merchant will probably have to hunt around for a pen, you will sign, the merchant may or may not compare the signature on the card with the signature on the slip (although much more likely to do so than in the USA where signatures are hardly ever checked anymore) and you'll be on the way. The merchant, according to mastercard/visa regulations does not have the discretion to refuse to complete the transaction because you don't have a pin. I will not state unequivocally it will NEVER happen but it is exceedingly rare. (This was becoming a problem in the era before the USA banks started issuing emv compliant cards although it never became widespread). There is no need to worry. It is highly highly unlikely you will have a problem if your card does not default to pin transactions for purchases. There are only 3 financial institutions in the USA I know of issuing pin preferred cards which will default to pins and they are small out of the way federal credit unions. Trust me. It is almost never going to present a problem no matter what others claim.

The short answer is "yes." What the European merchants/banks prefer and what they have learned to accept from American visitors are two different things. Rarely, you'll find a merchant who will not accept the American Chip & Swipe Card, but you'll be successful most of the time.

On our 28 day Baltic/TA last August/Sept. we had no problem using chip/no pin cards in any of the ports. In Rotterdam in 2015 we couldn't use our chip card at the train station because we didn't have a pin.

On our 28 day Baltic/TA last August/Sept. we had no problem using chip/no pin cards in any of the ports. In Rotterdam in 2015 we couldn't use our chip card at the train station because we didn't have a pin.

What's very frustrating about the credit card situation is that there's no 100% answer. In 2015, your Rotterdam experience rejected a card without a PIN. In the same year, buying tickets in a London Tube station, we successfully used our credit card without providing a PIN. Based on what people share -- that credit cards without PINS at unmanned locations won't work -- we should not have been successful in London. And yet we were.

As an aside, the card I used actually has a PIN; I know it and I was prepared to use it in the Tube station. However, the transaction went through without asking for my PIN which suggests I could have used a credit card that didn't have a PIN.

It is highly highly unlikely you will have a problem if your card does not default to pin transactions for purchases. There are only 3 financial institutions in the USA I know of issuing pin preferred cards which will default to pins and they are small out of the way federal credit unions. Trust me. It is almost never going to present a problem no matter what others claim.

I have a credit card from one of those three institutions and I've frequently told the following story: We were in Ghent, Belgium at a restaurant which had a large, prominently displayed sign that read "We only accept credit cards with PINs." In the 7 days prior to the cruise, despite having a PIN ready credit card, I never was asked to provide my PIN in London/Oxford/Canterbury. By the time we got to Ghent, I was actually looking forward to using my PIN.

Meal eaten and enjoyed. Check presented. Waiter walks over to the table with the hand-held device. I present my card and the waiter swipes it. I'm waiting for my PINs big moment and I'm repeating it in my head since this would be the first time I've used it. Suddenly, I hear the sound of the paper receipt being printed for my signature. No PIN asked for. So much for the brave declaration on the sign in the restaurant.

In the remaining 12 days of the cruise, the only time I was asked for my PIN was at the unmanned ticket machines at the VASA museum (Stockholm.). That was an adventure for entirely different reasons. The machines are only programmed in Swedish; while the PIN worked just fine, I was mostly guessing about what I was supposed to be doing through the ticket buying process.

Guest Nellsmom58

Great advice from many here. On our recent trip to GB and Baltics, no problem with no pin cc at tube or most locations. Used cc, BP, Euros, and rubles, nothing else, and had no problems anywhere. As John said, do NOT use ship exchange, and try for local bank kiosks that won't charge you a fee with your bank (some do, research your bank's agreements) for currency exchanges. You can also order currency before you depart, but check the fees to avoid price gouging by some state-side banks. We shopped around and found good rates and fees, and were prepared with cash before we left. And as everyone said, take your cc that has no foreign transaction fees. Most of all, don't stress about it (too much, anyways) and have a wonderful holiday!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What's very frustrating about the credit card situation is that there's no 100% answer. In 2015, your Rotterdam experience rejected a card without a PIN. In the same year, buying tickets in a London Tube station, we successfully used our credit card without providing a PIN. Based on what people share -- that credit cards without PINS at unmanned locations won't work -- we should not have been successful in London. And yet we were.

As an aside, the card I used actually has a PIN; I know it and I was prepared to use it in the Tube station. However, the transaction went through without asking for my PIN which suggests I could have used a credit card that didn't have a PIN.

Every emv compliant card has a hierarchy of credit validation methods (cvm's) programmed into the chip. Separate ones for purchases and advances. Every terminal goes down the list of cvm's till it finds one that works. If your bank placed no cvm on a higher level than pin since London tfl terminals accept no cvm, it wouldn't reach pin and hence will accept your card without asking for the pin. The Dutch National Railways have been notorious for not accepting cards lacking pins. Again, there is no one answer fits all. In general, today, chip and signature cards will work almost universally where credit cards are accepted but the point is really moot as there are very few US banks that issue pin preferred cards for purchases so why look for something that doesn't exist. It is far more important to make sure you use a credit card that does not charge a foreign transaction fee than to worry if the card makes provisions for the use of pins.

Guest Nellsmom58
Therefore, can we buy Roubles in the US? I'm thinking Euros may be the best way to go.

No, you need to get them in Russia. And yes, Euros are best, but some places in SPB won't take them so you may need rubles, get them there.

Based on the ports visited on a Baltic cruise, Euros are probably the most useful currency in terms of the number of countries where the Euro is the currency.

My experience in St Petersburg was that I was on a ship excursion, so any shopping I did was in the "Preferred Partner souvenir shops" which accepted credit cards or payments in Roubles, GBP, USD or Euros. The guide allowed us to stop for a photo opportunity at the Church on Spilled Blood which had (not sure if it still does) a small souvenir market next to it. I bought something and paid in Euros.

Guest Nellsmom58
Thanks for the info. Not crazy about using my CC for small purchases. Will be on excursions and only need to get souvenirs.

Will need some cash in Tallinn, Estonia.

Tallinn takes Euros everywhere

Estonia's currency is the euro.

Just out of curiosity as I do not understand the logic but why would anybody not want to use a credit card for a small purchase; especially when travelling outside your home country where if, and I know it might be a somewhat large if, the card one is using has a proper (0%) foreign transaction fee.

Well, it can be inconvenient if your CC gets misused, but I don't understand what the difference is as to where it happens. The bank will sort it out.

One can get a bit paranoid about the use of plastic (credit cards and ATM cards) but it is the standard around the world. We spend overr 6 months a year traveling (Internationally) and have never had a major problem with using ATM cards. A little common sense goes a long way. Stick to bank ATMs and always give them a good look before use. Much of the hacking has now been stopped since most banks have switched to chipped ATM cards. Another good tip is to always hold something over your hand as you type in your PIN (so a hidden camera cannot possibly see the transaction).. Even in the unlikely event that a card would somehow get hacked, the banks make good on the loses.

On our travels we solely rely on our ATM cards...even when away for months at a time. In order to provide backup, we carry 3 different ATM cards...each drawn on different accounts in different banks. Our ATM cards are fee free (except for the standard 1% International transaction fee built into the rates) and always get us the best exchange rates. The cards also offer us convenience without having to carry large amounts of cash. Credit cards (especially those like CapitalOne that have no foreign exchange fees) are another good way to get great exchange rates.

Hank

Most merchants are prepared to accept US cards but if you want to use your card in an unattended machine, it is a good idea to ask your credit card company for a pin. When you use your pin for a purchase the credit card company will recognize that this is a charge and not a cash advance. I have done this successfully in Barcelona, London, and Paris without any problems.

Most merchants are prepared to accept US cards but if you want to use your card in an unattended machine, it is a good idea to ask your credit card company for a pin. When you use your pin for a purchase the credit card company will recognize that this is a charge and not a cash advance. I have done this successfully in Barcelona, London, and Paris without any problems.

We discussed that up above. There is no harm in requesting a pin so I will not say not to. In most cases, US credit cards will work in unattended kiosks and the like and will not ask for the pin. With other banks, the terminal will ask for the pin but that is simply a decision of the individual bank. There may even be some times, few and far between, where despite the fact you have a pin because of the way your bank programmed its chip, you will be out of luck. However, it is not a necessity to have a pin. There are about 3 banks in the USA that issue pin preferred credit cards which will almost always ask for a pin. However, they are small out of the way federal credit unions. It is unnecessary to stress yourself about pins. More importantly is to get a card with no foreign transaction fee and the best rewards program you can find.

90% of the time we used our credit cards which were accepted everywhere. We used euro and dollars for small things esp in Norway and Russia. In Germany, alot of places preferred euros over CC. Most bathrooms will be free in Russia because you'll most likely be with a guide and bathrooms will be at places such as museums or palaces. In Denmark, we got some local currency and ended up not needing any of it. We did use some as a locker deposit but ended up getting it back. Next time we won't bother getting any danish coin!

Anthony: I'll be in a few Baltic countries, plus Russia. I was going to get some Euros and Rubles. However, you seem to feel just Euros will be fine. In SPB we would be on tour and just need to buy soda & souvenirs. We will also be in Stockholm. I can just buy Euros and no other special money? BTW is the Euro at a good price now? Thank you for your advice.

Anthony: I'll be in a few Baltic countries, plus Russia. I was going to get some Euros and Rubles. However, you seem to feel just Euros will be fine. In SPB we would be on tour and just need to buy soda & souvenirs. We will also be in Stockholm. I can just buy Euros and no other special money? BTW is the Euro at a good price now? Thank you for your advice.

In Russia, we used our credit card for lunches, souvenirs but entry fees, water, small snacks, etc was provided by our tour guide. I did see signs that accepted euros in some tourist centers and you even had the option to what currency you wanted to pay in if paying by credit card at those big tourist gift places. We paid our guide in US dollars... tips as well.

Your credit card will be your best friend for purchases big or small. You have 0 foreign transaction fee? In Stockholm we never used cash at all.