Money for Baltic Cruise

Kansas Gal

My husband's credit card was hacked in Copenhagen last September and the cc company cancelled it. Fortunately, with chips, my card, (as it has a different number, even though it's the same account) remained viable.We could continue to use mine throughout the remainder of our trip abroad. PS...we always notify the cc company before travel anywhere, including other states in the USA as well as foreign countries.

How do you know it was in Copenhagen. The information could have been stolen weeks before or even yes in Copenhagen. So? You notify your bank or your bank notified you. The fraudulent charges are removed from the account. It simply drives home the point you should never travel with just one card. If your card has a chip and if it was used properly in a chip reader, that was not where the information was stolen. But what difference does it make in the end? You have zero liability for fraud and the incident will have no lasting effect on you or your financial life.

Credit cards can be compromised anywhere. We have had chip and pin for years in the U.K. But they can still be used fraudently.

Indeed. I hadn't even travelled (recently) and my card was hacked by someone else living in another state of Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

One piece of advise is if your spouse is traveling with you that you both take different cards. I had a coworker whose wife's purse was robbed in Paris. They had to cancel all their cards as they were taking the same cards.

One piece of advise is if your spouse is traveling with you that you both take different cards. I had a coworker whose wife's purse was robbed in Paris. They had to cancel all their cards as they were taking the same cards.

Very good advice! My husband and I have each have our own cards so should anything happen to one's wallet the other can still use the credit cards.

My credit cards and my husband's are all chip cards. They are less easily hacked from what I have read on the subject.

My brother's chip card was hacked three times in a 2 month period. The second time it was hacked before he even received it. So much for the better security of chip cards without pins.

My brother's chip card was hacked three times in a 2 month period. The second time it was hacked before he even received it. So much for the better security of chip cards without pins.

Good to know FritzG!!! I intend to get local currency for each port before leaving for the Baltic cruise. Less need to use CC!!!

It has been mentioned that in Denmark and Sweden, cash is not needed and credit cards are the way to go.

But what about for restrooms? Don't you need cash (local currency) to use them?

That's why I got a little of each currency. I dont want to buy something each time I need to go to the bathroom.