Drones on Board

Jamericannn

Have you guys ever seen anyone with a drone on the cruise? I am thinking of taking my drone and I could get some really cool shots especially on sea days when the Lido deck is packed. It would also be nice to have some nice aerial shots at the beaches.

Are drones even allowed aboard.

Have you guys ever seen anyone with a drone on the cruise? I am thinking of taking my drone and I could get some really cool shots especially on sea days when the Lido deck is packed. It would also be nice to have some nice aerial shots at the beaches.

The following items may be brought on board but can only be used off the ship, for port use only. All items must be stored in the guest’s stateroom.

• Drone Cameras

You won't be allowed to use a drone on the ship. Also, they are not allowed in certain ports. Before you make plans to take a drone, check to see what the laws are regarding drones in each of the ports you're visiting.

Notwithstanding they're not allowed to be used on cruise ships, consider the ship is moving at 18-22 knots on sea days. You may not notice when you're standing on the deck behind the wind screens. But send that drone up in the air above the ship and it will. You can say bye-bye to the drone as the ship steams away.

Notwithstanding they're not allowed to be used on cruise ships, consider the ship is moving at 18-22 knots on sea days. You may not notice when you're standing on the deck behind the wind screens. But send that drone up in the air above the ship and it will. You can say bye-bye to the drone as the ship steams away.

I have no idea how fast knots is but I thought that was pretty slow :). I will not take it with me then. Was just wondering.

You won't be allowed to use a drone on the ship. Also, they are not allowed in certain ports. Before you make plans to take a drone, check to see what the laws are regarding drones in each of the ports you're visiting.

Thank you. I will avoid the trouble and not take it.

Umm, I think it's a matter of relative wind vs the top speed of the drone. If the ship is doing 20 knots and has a 10 knot wind from the stern, you only have a 10 knot wind to deal with. if it's going in the other direction, then you have a 30 knot wind. The DJI phantom 4 has a top speed of about 40 knots, so theoretically it can handle either situation.

I have no idea how fast knots is but I thought that was pretty slow :). I will not take it with me then. Was just wondering.

1 knot = 1 nautical mile per hour. 20 knots = 23 (statute) miles per hour. Can your drone fly at 23 mph? Some can fly that fast and faster. But just like being in a car and sticking your hand out the window, you would have to be able to go from still air in a shielded location into the fast moving air just outside the window.

Many ships have "secret decks" at the bow. Go out on one of those to get a real feel for how fast the ship is moving.

Umm, I think it's a matter of relative wind vs the top speed of the drone. If the ship is doing 20 knots and has a 10 knot wind from the stern, you only have a 10 knot wind to deal with. if it's going in the other direction, then you have a 30 knot wind. The DJI phantom 4 has a top speed of about 40 knots, so theoretically it can handle either situation.

It would make take offs and landings a little tricky though. I live in a high rise downtown and sometimes fly mine off the balcony and have had more than a few close calls on windy days not being able to get it back to the balcony.

1 knot = 1 nautical mile per hour. 20 knots = 23 (statute) miles per hour. Can your drone fly at 23 mph? Some can fly that fast and faster. But just like being in a car and sticking your hand out the window, you would have to be able to go from still air in a shielded location into the fast moving air just outside the window.

Many ships have "secret decks" at the bow. Go out on one of those to get a real feel for how fast the ship is moving.

Of course we are still in the theoretical zone since it not not permitted to fly drones on the ship. A GPS drone should be able to be controlled based on relative positiion and compensate for wind. I have a Hubsan H502e on order to try to do some aerial photography on shore on my next couple of cruises. The sub $100 price will hopefully take the sting out of a flyaway.

Save yourself the disappointment - straight from the Carnival Cruise Lines web site:

Prohibited Items list

The following items are prohibited and their possession is not allowed on board any Company ship by passengers or crew without a valid lawful reason, unless required in direct support of ship operations, as part of a crew member's official duties, and only with consent of the Ship's Master.

• Any illegal narcotics/drugs
  • All firearms Including replicas, Imitations and their components
  • Air, BB or pellet pistols or rifles
  • Any other projectile-weapon (e.g. paint ball guns)
  • All ammunition
  • All explosives, including imitation explosives and devices
  • Fireworks, flares, pyrotechnics (excluding those which are part of the vessel's lifesaving equipment and which have been properly manifested)
  • Sharp pointed weapons including throwing stars
  • Knives with a blade longer than 4 inches/10.16 cm
  • Open razors
  • Skean Dhus or Kirpans
  • Spears or spear guns
  • Crossbows, crossbow bolts and long bow arrows
  • Blunt weapons including knuckle dusters, brass knuckles, clubs, cashes, batons, flails or nunchaku
  • Items containing incapacitating substances (e.g. gas guns, tear gas sprays, mace, phosphorus, acid and other dangerous chemicals that could be used to maim or disable)
  • Flammable substances and hazardous chemicals unless carried in limited quantities and in accordance with company instructions (e.g., petrol, methylated spirits, paint thinners, etc.)
  • Any other item made, adapted or intended for use as an offensive weapon
  • Stun devices
  • Large batteries
  • Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, flat irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating / hot plates, etc.
  • Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones
  • Self-balancing hover boards, air wheels, scooters, or Segways (except those provided by the Company for shore excursions)
  • Compressed gas tanks, bottles, cylinders including dive tanks, propane tanks and aerosol cans
  • Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers

I'd love to have a drone, as I think that they're very cool. However, I wouldn't want to have it confiscated when I tried to board the ship

Save yourself the disappointment - straight from the Carnival Cruise Lines web site:

Prohibited Items list

The following items are prohibited and their possession is not allowed on board any Company ship by passengers or crew without a valid lawful reason, unless required in direct support of ship operations, as part of a crew member's official duties, and only with consent of the Ship's Master.

• Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones
  • Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers

I'd love to have a drone, as I think that they're very cool. However, I wouldn't want to have it confiscated when I tried to board the ship

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3632/kw/drones

The following items may be brought on board but can only be used off the ship, for port use only. All items must be stored in the guest’s stateroom.

• Drone Cameras

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261/kw/drones

Exemptions

• Ham Radios/Amateur Radio Equipment: Permitted to be used on board.

I only found this by scrolling down and clicking the Exemptions Link. If I were to carry one aboard I'd have this link color printed and ready to show. Remember, the security at ports are contract employees from a private company.

Edited by BallFour4