Carnival Liberty Cruise 10/31 Canceled

Margaritaville TX

This is the official statement from Carnival about the cancelled cruise. from John Heald's book of faces page

Here is the official statement on Carnival Liberty

The cruise ship Carnival Liberty, which is homeported in Galveston, Texas, is experiencing a technical issue which is affecting the ship’s maximum cruising speed. The issue is only affecting the ship’s speed and all other systems are operating normally. The ship arrived in Galveston yesterday and we have been working with outside technical experts which we brought on to help us confirm our repair plan.

Guests had boarded the vessel yesterday in anticipation of sailing, however, outside technical experts, together with the ship’s technical team, conducted a deeper inspection of one of the diesel generators overnight and uncovered an additional problem not previously known. It has now been determined that one of the alternators cannot be readily fixed. This means the ship will not be able to maintain the sufficient speed needed to operate the itinerary as planned and unfortunately we must cancel today’s cruise.

Guests scheduled to sail on this voyage will receive a full refund of their cruise, along with a 100 percent future cruise credit and $90 per person reimbursement representing a previously promised onboard credit and stipend for meals in Galveston yesterday.

While repairs are ongoing, the itinerary for the ship’s next two voyages will be modified, as well. The Nov. 5 five-day cruise will include a full day call in Cozumel, however, the call in Progreso will be cancelled. The Nov. 10 four-day cruise will include a call in Progreso instead of Cozumel. Guests sailing on these voyages will receive a $50 per person credit to their shipboard accounts and a 25 percent discount on a future Carnival cruise. Guests also have the option of cancelling and receiving a full refund. Voyages departing Nov. 14 and beyond are scheduled to operate their normal itinerary.

We sincerely apologize to our guests for this disruption in their vacation plans.

Edited by seekingamid

From Carnival FB Page:

Liberty 10/31 cruise

The Carnival Liberty remains docked in Galveston this morning. We have been working with outside technical experts which we brought on to help us confirm our repair plan. Together with the ship’s technical team, they conducted a deeper inspection of one of our diesel generators and uncovered an additional problem not previously known. It has now been determined that one of our alternators cannot be readily fixed. This means the ship will not be able to maintain the sufficient speed needed to operate the itinerary for this cruise, as we had planned. Unfortunately, it is now apparent that we will need to cancel today’s cruise.

All of us at Carnival are very disappointed by this change in plans and sincerely apologize for this disruption to our guests’ vacation. This is a very difficult decision for us to make as we know how important vacations are to our guests.

Guests will receive a full refund of their cruise and any pre purchased excursions and Fun Shop items. Additionally, we will gladly apply a 100% credit toward their next 2-5 day cruise on Carnival. A refund check for $90 per person will be mailed to their home representing the onboard credit we had promised and reimbursement for their meals yesterday.

Guests who wish to disembark this morning and do not need any assistance with their luggage, may proceed to the gangway as soon as they are ready. Porter service will commence at 10am for those guests who need assistance with their luggage. Guests with independent air arrangements who need assistance rescheduling r flights, should contact Guest Services on board. We will cover any change fees incurred.

Accept the things I cannot change - this cruise is cancelled

Courage to change what I can - what should I do now

Wisdom to know the difference - no moaning & groaning, sure it sux, but now what?

For us it doesn't take a step program, we just shrug and say ship happens.

Accept the things I cannot change - this cruise is cancelled

Courage to change what I can - what should I do now

Wisdom to know the difference - no moaning & groaning, sure it sux, but now what?

Stinks when you are already on the ship and than it gets cancelled but lot worse if you get stuck in middle of the ocean.

I know this is a disappointment for many, but why can't I ever be this lucky. A huge inconvenience, but no one was stuck at sea. For their troubles, these passengers are getting a full refund, a 100% future cruise credit, and a $90 per person cruise credit (that's $540 for us). I'd take that deal in a heartbeat!

Apparently, the problem appears to be with one of the alternators that the diesel engines drive that generate power. This can become a large can of worms, and may require some time to schedule parts and service technicians. I don't think future cruises will be cancelled, but expect some more itinerary changes in the next month.

I know this is a disappointment for many' date=' but why can't I ever be this lucky. A huge inconvenience, but no one was stuck at sea. For their troubles, these passengers are getting a full refund, a 100% future cruise credit, and a $90 per person cruise credit (that's $540 for us). I'd take that deal in a heartbeat![/quote']

Ditto.

Disappointment no doubt~~~but take the full refund and credit(s) and book a future cruise!!! If I was on the four day cruise that is switching Cozumel for Progreso, I would opt for the full refund in a heartbeat!!!!! There is no comparison in these two ports!!! Sorry for all who are effected by this:(

I know this is a disappointment for many' date=' but why can't I ever be this lucky. A huge inconvenience, but no one was stuck at sea. For their troubles, these passengers are getting a full refund, a 100% future cruise credit, and a $90 per person cruise credit (that's $540 for us). I'd take that deal in a heartbeat![/quote']

100% agreed! I can NEVER get so lucky! :(

Wow! When the Dream broke down in St. Thomas a few years ago, we were booked on the cruise the following week and we were notified of the cancellation a day before we were to leave. All we got was a refund and 25% of our next cruise. LOL!