sprint texting/internet on Allure

banshee72

I know the per minute rates for calling mom (viber to NON-viber) from the various ports (countries)..........have no idea the charge from sea???? If I called another viber user from sea it would be free.....viber to non-viber?????

Everything on the ship is the same as when you are at home on WiFi only (airplane mode and turn on WiFi only).

We just did WiFi to landline to wish our granddaughter happy birthday and I just called like any normal time using my phone. I do have WiFi calling enabled and we were docked at Cozumel. I was using ships WiFi not cellular. So unless your phone doesn't support WiFi calling you should be fine without any third party app.

Thanks......great info and I did try it at home. My mom is 92 and dad (95) passed away in March. Dad, could not ambulate but used his iPad 5-6 hours a day! Mom uses her basic home landline so that is why I am depending on Viber to call her once or twice. All my kids and grand kids I could just text, FB or FT with no need for Viber.

I know the per minute rates for calling mom (viber to NON-viber) from the various ports (countries)..........have no idea the charge from sea???? If I called another viber user from sea it would be free.....viber to non-viber?????

Thanks for all your help.

And, YES....once you put your phone in Airplane Mode both cellular data and wi-fi are also turned off.

You said you already bought an internet package, so just use wifi calling to call you Mom. You activate it in settings>phone. You will not be making calls over cellular since you will be in airplane mode. If you chose to make calls over cellular, Verizon charges $1.79 per minute while on the ship and has different pricing in port. If you haven't checked out the international information on Verizon very recently, go check the pricing again as they changed things a lot when they added Travel Passes. St Thomas is now finally included under domestic calling plans, Travel Passes for Mexico and Canada are only $2 per day and many other countries are now $10 per day. Travel Passes give you access to your full domestic coverage including data.

I don't know the per minute charge Viber to non Viber when we leave port. Not a biggie..just curious

Just in case you are not confused, you will only use Viber when you are connected to the ship's wifi whether the ship is docked or at sea.

If you are away from the ship when docked (no more ship wifi), you can only use Viber with cellular data/roaming which will cost you on top of the Viber cost when calling a non-Viber phone. All this unless you find land wifi from the likes of bars or coffee shops.

When you are on ship's wifi, I'm guessing the Viber cost per minute will be the same whether you are docked or at sea.

I got it all thanks

I see where I can enable wi fi calling on my iPhone and I understand that if I am off the ship I have to use another wi fi source. Not planning to make or get too many calls so Viber will be fine for my needs

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by martyap