sprint texting/internet on Allure

banshee72

Has anyone out there, who has sprint as their cell provider, used their phones to text while on a cruise.......specifically The Allure? Is it reliable? Do you need to buy the internet package in order to text? We are looking to stay in contact with our teen boys who will also be cruising with us and while talking face to face is the best way, there are times when texting may come in quite handy.

Regular SMS texting is cellular based which means you can not send SMS texts over wifi unless you have wifi calling or use a third party app such as whatsapp that serves as an interface to the cellular network. Other messaging services such as iMessage and Facebook messenger work fine over wifi. Bottom line, you may or may not be able to "text" over wifi. Cellular service on Royal ships is Cellular at Sea. In my experience, it is very reliable for texting.

Regular SMS texting is cellular based which means you can not send SMS texts over wifi unless you have wifi calling or use a third party app such as whatsapp that serves as an interface to the cellular network. Other messaging services such as iMessage and Facebook messenger work fine over wifi. Bottom line, you may or may not be able to "text" over wifi. Cellular service on Royal ships is Cellular at Sea. In my experience, it is very reliable for texting.

Also normally expensive because an international data roaming plan is required. I've heard of people getting a cellular bill for over $500 after a 7 day cruise.

Has anyone out there, who has sprint as their cell provider, used their phones to text while on a cruise.......specifically The Allure? Is it reliable? Do you need to buy the internet package in order to text? We are looking to stay in contact with our teen boys who will also be cruising with us and while talking face to face is the best way, there are times when texting may come in quite handy.

I have sprint and, with wifi calling enabled, it worked perfectly on oasis and allure. With wifi calling enabled, i was even able to call other cell phones aboard also with wifi calling enabled and could make calls to land lines and cell phones back home, all with no cellular charges, just the charges for ships wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also normally expensive because an international data roaming plan is required. I've heard of people getting a cellular bill for over $500 after a 7 day cruise.

Cellular data is not required to text. I don't know what Sprint charges but ATT charges $0.50 to send a text. Received texts are free. As long as you leave data roaming off, you won't rack up those outrageous bills.

although some of this info is helpful no one answered the op original question

Do I need to buy the internet package if I only would like to be able to text my wife and the other people in our group on the ship?

I also have sprint

I have Sprint and was able to text while on a cruise ship in Europe this summer. Here are the normal charges - you will get a text when you switch over to the ship:

On cruise ships to call US dial +1-area code-number. Calls: $2.99/min, Txt sent: $0.50 recvd: $0.15, Data: Not Available. Sprint Care +1-817-698-4199

I turn off all data on the phone and leave the phone roaming option on. You many need to switch off the SMS stuff since that is only used on wifi.

I also signed up for Sprint Open World (free on website) and was able to text for free in Europe (off ship). Should be the same in the Caribbean but check with them.

As I am a sprint customer, if you are on wifi calling on the ship or anywhere in the word, Calls to america and text to america are free. Also you get free texting and data while on most islands in the Caribbean.

https://www.sprint.com/landings/international-value-roaming/index.html?INTCID=SUP:RoamL:041116:Global:Roaming

If not using ship wifi. texting on sprint is .50 to send .15 to receive.

Edited by Bosjoe

Do I need to buy the internet package if I only would like to be able to text my wife and the other people in our group on the ship?

I also have sprint

Here are 3 ways to text:

1) Use the ship's cell tower. Pay $0.50 per text, charged by your cell carrier. No ship internet package needed.

2) Use an internet based texting app, such as WhatsApp or iMessage. You need to buy the ship's internet package for this, and all must be using the same texting app. No per message charges.

3) Use WiFi calling, if your phone and cell carrier support it. You need to buy the ship's internet package for this, but no texting app is needed. No per message charges.

Here are 3 ways to text:

1) Use the ship's cell tower. Pay $0.50 per text, charged by your cell carrier. No ship internet package needed.

2) Use an internet based texting app, such as WhatsApp or iMessage. You need to buy the ship's internet package for this, and all must be using the same texting app. No per message charges.

3) Use WiFi calling, if your phone and cell carrier support it. You need to buy the ship's internet package for this, but no texting app is needed. No per message charges.

THANK YOU for the very clear answer.

I also have sprint

You can text. It is a true text and not wifi. Therefore, each outgoing text will be $0.50 and incoming will be $0.10. Assuming that you text your kid, you will be charged $0.60 and when they answer, you will be charged $0.60. The total price will be $1.20 to say, hey where are you. Remember, if you allow texting and you have kids, they will/may receive a ton of texts from friends, which will be charged $0.10 and if they answer they will be charged $0.50. You open youself up to a large bill if your kids are fully instructed or trustworthy not to answer or use it unless from you. (Your choice)

if you get the wifi package on the ship, than you can text over the wifi network. It is a controlled price, but expensive also.

Note, I survived 16 years of cruising with kids, and never once needed them to have their phone turned on. It was always locked up!.

Another note, I now keep my phone turned on. I have an iPhone with ATT. My data roaming is turned off, but I can receive texts and phone calls from family members. My wifi is turned on, which when in port, maybe I will find wifi, if I needed it. If you keep your cellular data turned off, roaming off, and can manage not using the phone than you will have a very small "extra" phone bill. I usually run about $5.00 or less.

I have Sprint and was able to text while on a cruise ship in Europe this summer. Here are the normal charges - you will get a text when you switch over to the ship:

On cruise ships to call US dial +1-area code-number. Calls: $2.99/min, Txt sent: $0.50 recvd: $0.15, Data: Not Available. Sprint Care +1-817-698-4199

I turn off all data on the phone and leave the phone roaming option on. You many need to switch off the SMS stuff since that is only used on wifi.

I also signed up for Sprint Open World (free on website) and was able to text for free in Europe (off ship). Should be the same in the Caribbean but check with them.

Sprint Open World was fantastic on our Western Carribbean trip earlier this year. Great perk while in port. Was able to connect with family, post photos, etc. in Jamaica while riding from Falmouth to the Blue Hole and back . . . With no international charges.

Honestly did not know about the 50 cent texting. Going on a 4 nighter in January and don't really want to spend 18 bucks a day for two internet packages when I would only need it if I get seperated from DW on the ship. Will probably end up utilizing this.

Thank you

Sorry to go off topic (I have Verizon, not Sprint; iPhone)

I plan to use Viber to have some contact with family members back home that I must keep in touch with and I signed up for Voom-surf+stream.

Are these the steps I should follow?

1. Put phone in airplane mode

2. Turn cellular data "off"

3. connect to ship's wi-fi

This should allow me to text or call anyone with Viber (?)

It should also allow me to call anyone w/o Viber - charging my Viber account

the specific country's per minute rate (?)

Am I on the right track?????

For my wife's iPhone we did not take Voom. I would follow steps 1-2 above.

She could use her camera. Could she iMessage me?

Thanks

You can try those steps at home right now. VOOM is not tied to a certain device - your wife can use it as well on her iPhone, just not at the same time as you.

I plan to use Viber to have some contact with family members back home that I must keep in touch with and I signed up for Voom-surf+stream.

Thanks

Your steps 1-3 are correct (but I think once you done step 1, step 2 is turned off too) and as Biker19 said you can try it at home right now pretend the home wifi is the ship wifi.

Once you are logged into the ship's wifi, then you can use Viber to call fellow Viber users for free or use Viber to call non-Viber home or cell phones but at a cost from your Viber account. So you are also correct too regarding Viber.

Don't forget your Voom Surf+ Stream package can be shared but only 1 device can be logged on at a time (assume you got this package). Your wife can log on and send an iMessage but you won't receive the message until your wife log off and you log on to Voom then you should receive the message. Leave your wife's phone in airplane mode then she can use the camera or music app.

Sorry to go off topic (I have Verizon, not Sprint; iPhone)

Thanks

Verizon now has Wifi calling, so you don't need a different app that is going to charge you. Setup wifi calling before you leave home though since you have to answer a few questions and put in an emergency address. Your iphone has to be at least an iPhone 6 for it to work though.

Your steps 1-3 are correct (but I think once you done step 1, step 2 is turned off too) and as Biker19 said you can try it at home right now pretend the home wifi is the ship wifi.

Correct. Once airplane mode is turned on, all cellular functions are turned off. You won't even be able to access the cellular data switch in settings.

Don't see any reason to use Viper with an iPhone and iPad. My iPhone and iPad (no cel wifi only) works as normal for both text, calling, surfing and FaceTime. I have unlimited one device plan and put phone in airplane mode and logged into ships "Royal WiFi". It works just like at home. The iPad I don't bother changing settings as its WiFi only, no voice calls but everything else works like at home.

Keep in mind the wifi will kick u out after two hours of no activity.

Thanks......great info and I did try it at home. My mom is 92 and dad (95) passed away in March. Dad, could not ambulate but used his iPad 5-6 hours a day! Mom uses her basic home landline so that is why I am depending on Viber to call her once or twice. All my kids and grand kids I could just text, FB or FT with no need for Viber.

I know the per minute rates for calling mom (viber to NON-viber) from the various ports (countries)..........have no idea the charge from sea???? If I called another viber user from sea it would be free.....viber to non-viber?????

Thanks for all your help.

And, YES....once you put your phone in Airplane Mode both cellular data and wi-fi are also turned off.