Platinum/Diamond VIFP party guests?

A&Jfamily

Am I correct that because my husband is still Gold, if I want to go to the VIFP party, I will have to go alone?

I am interested in stopping by - as it is my first cruise as Platinum - but it will lose all the fun if I have to sit there by myself....kinda stinks....Yes, I know he hasn't earned it, but it also defeats the perk for me, when we are traveling as a family and I am the only one to Platinum.

Anyone had an experience say at the door requesting that their spouse be allowed to join in? If it about the cost of the free drinks, I would have no issue being on our honor for him not to have one....

The invitations do not say "And Guest" so technically it's just for you. I am Platinum and no one else in my family is. On my next cruise if anyone goes with, I will not ask if they can come and will go by myself. I get to know people on here and even if not, there are plenty of others that are alone and I have no problem talking to people. If everyone brought a non P/D person, it would be way too crowded.

There are some that say bring them, while others have reported it's strictly enforced especially since they have booted the Golds out. Guess it depends on who is working the doors at to what success you may or may not have. I, however, will not be looking to skirt the process.

The invitations do not say "And Guest" so technically it's just for you. I am Platinum and no one else in my family is. On my next cruise if anyone goes with, I will not ask if they can come and will go by myself. I get to know people on here and even if not, there are plenty of others that are alone and I have no problem talking to people. If everyone brought a non P/D person, it would be way too crowded.

There are some that say bring them, while others have reported it's strictly enforced especially since they have booted the Golds out. Guess it depends on who is working the doors at to what success you may or may not have. I, however, will not be looking to skirt the process.

Why would it be too crowded - because we used to go when they were past guest and included the golds. They were held in the main show lounge and while there were a lot of people there, it was still very manageable. So I guess it would depend on where it was being held; never having done one, I truly know nothing.

Like you I have zero problem talking to people. I regularly talk to people at bars on the ship, and for my job, I talk to people all the time, in groups, in public etc. This isn't about a fear or anything like that. My husband is my best friend and we cruise for time together since our jobs keep us occupied so much. This is just something I would like to share with him.

Why would it be too crowded - because we used to go when they were past guest and included the golds. They were held in the main show lounge and while there were a lot of people there, it was still very manageable. So I guess it would depend on where it was being held; never having done one, I truly know nothing.

Like you I have zero problem talking to people. I regularly talk to people at bars on the ship, and for my job, I talk to people all the time, in groups, in public etc. This isn't about a fear or anything like that. My husband is my best friend and we cruise for time together since our jobs keep us occupied so much. This is just something I would like to share with him.

Since there are less people, they have it in the smaller venues now. 2 weeks ago on Glory it was in the Ebony Lounge (comedy club). It was pretty full.

If they had an invitation that said "And Guest" or one printed in the their name too then it to me would mean they are welcome. Kind of like the Boarding Pass which for them (as they now do individual passes instead of one for everyone) says "Priority". The same as yours. They receive that perk because they are with you. But they don't get the Chocolate Covered Strawberries, or the Laundry, drink coupon for Brunch, etc. This is one perk that is for the individual.

Some will say to bring them, while others will tell you they check to make sure it's only P/Ds there. Yet others will say just ask, or assume that it's a shared perk because you shouldn't be expected to go alone. No matter what, the invitation is what what it is. Only for the person with the status. It only has your name on it. What you do is up to you.

When did he announce that?

In March John was asked on that site that dare not speak its name and he said it was fine and he wouldn't expect an invitee to leave their spouse or partner in the cabin alone while the other enjoyed the party.

Edited by AHS123

In March John was asked on that site that dare not say its name and he said it was fine and he wouldn't expect an invitee to leave their spouse or partner in the cabin alone while the other enjoyed the party.

And he always gives correct info, right?! [emoji849]

If your invitation says +1 or and guest then they are welcome. If they have their own invitation, then they are welcome. If not, they are not invited. Again, what people want or choose to believe and/or do is up to them.

What if I'm traveling with 3 other women? Are they all invited or just one? How could I choose? Do you have to prove that the other person is your spouse? What if you're just dating? What if it's my mom? Can she come too? Once they start that, it's a slippery slope and where does it end?

The concept is simple and straightforward. Invitation = admittance.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Am I correct that because my husband is still Gold, if I want to go to the VIFP party, I will have to go alone?

I am interested in stopping by - as it is my first cruise as Platinum - but it will lose all the fun if I have to sit there by myself....kinda stinks....Yes, I know he hasn't earned it, but it also defeats the perk for me, when we are traveling as a family and I am the only one to Platinum.

Anyone had an experience say at the door requesting that their spouse be allowed to join in? If it about the cost of the free drinks, I would have no issue being on our honor for him not to have one....

I was told no on the Legend and the Breeze that I could not bring a guest. Last cruise saw many kids with red cards come with Grandma or Auntie because they didn't want to go to Camp Carnival. One other person had their wife and kid take off their Gold S&S card and put it in their pocket.

But hey this is another rule not enforced just like the smoking on the balconies.

Again, what people want or choose to believe and/or do is up to them.

So you have said three times but it doesn't sound like you mean it.

I see you edited to add: " The concept is simple and straightforward. Invitation = admittance. " So you do not really mean it when you say " what people do is up to them " and that's OK but it's disingenuous to the discussion to say that and not mean it.

Edited by AHS123

They were checking to see that each person had an invitation at the last 2 Platinum/ Diamond Reunion parties we went to. One was on the Freedom in November 2015 and the other was on the Liberty in September 2016. They were in really small venues. On one cruise there were 108 Platinum and Diamonds total and on the last cruise only 53 total.

The invitations for those parties were issued individually. Had everyone brought a guest there would not been enough seats.

Now for the Diamond Event it said "And Guest" on the Freedom cruise and on the Liberty cruise my husband was specifically invited by name to join me. (He's Platinum). On a previous cruise on the Breeze the invitation for the Diamond event was addressed to me alone and when I inquired at Guest Services if he could come I was told yes because there were only a handful of Diamonds, so there was room for him. If they had said no, then I would have gone alone. Their party, their rules.

Edited by DebJ14

Well it looks like even the invites are all over the place. If he is not included on the invite I will simply and politely inquire at the door if he may join. If the answer is no, I will thank them for their time and we will find something else to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Never taken my invitation , I say bring one person with you ,especially if their in your cabin. Those parties are dull and boring anyways. Bunch of OF's sitting around trying to get a free drink :D . It needs to be revamped. ;)

the last time I inquired at GS about bringing someone they told me:

"you are certainly entitled to bring a guest"

Also from CCL FAQs:

Can a guest bring another guest to membership functions on board?

Generally, benefits requiring an invitation are designated per member. Certain events invite eligible guests to bring one additional person as space permits. Details are provided on invitations for each of the functions.

Go to GS and ask. I am sure they would have no issue with you bringing your husband. I also turned Plat one cruise before DH. They had no problem with me bringing him along.

the last time I inquired at GS about bringing someone they told me:

"you are certainly entitled to bring a guest"

Also from CCL FAQs:

Can a guest bring another guest to membership functions on board?

Generally, benefits requiring an invitation are designated per member. Certain events invite eligible guests to bring one additional person as space permits. Details are provided on invitations for each of the functions.

Go to GS and ask. I am sure they would have no issue with you bringing your husband. I also turned Plat one cruise before DH. They had no problem with me bringing him along.

See the portion I highlighted in red. If it says it on the invitation, then it's a yes. If it doesn't then that means no. They probably have a lot of people in that case and therefore aren't inviting guests.

On the Carnival Sunshine in September the event was held in the room used for the Comedy Club (very small venue). My cousin/cabin mate did not come with me since she is gold. The invite did not say "Plus One".

I am used to going alone to these events on Carnival as well as on other cruise lines. Whoever I happen to be sailing with does not take offense and we arrange a meeting place after the event is over.

With the use of small venues, the event is more special, the food served is better, and it's not about how many free drinks people can snag, You can see who is in the room with you and the whole event is over in 30-45 minutes.

MARAPRINCE

Agreed. With less people in the room better opportunity to talk to members of the crew

While I understand those who used to go and now can't being upset, I agree that the experience now is better being smaller, one perk of that is more interaction with the crew.

Sent from my iPhone

While I understand those who used to go and now can't being upset, I agree that the experience now is better being smaller, one perk of that is more interaction with the crew.

Sent from my iPhone

I was mad as a hornet when they took it away from me as Gold. But it really was much better this last time. Before it was in the main theater and there were SO many people that it was difficult to get a drink. It is much more enjoyable now and I am happy with the change.

I also agree that the rules are very clear. Invitation - come. No invitation - sorry. If they have space then there's no problem with them inviting the guest plus one and they will - via the invitation. Not by asking someone, or based upon what has been done before, or even what JH says. However, if there are a lot of P/Ds then I can see where it wouldn't be a good idea due to the number of people and size of the venue.

It's not that difficult to go by yourself for 20-30 min. You don't have to stay for the whole thing. Grab a drink or 2 and then leave if it bothers you or your cabin mate. It isn't mandatory and if the other person will feel left out, then skip it. I don't understand the big deal. I really don't. I left my mom behind when I was Gold and she was Red. She didn't care and I had a blast.

Edited by firemanbobswife