Can I get a room key with charging privileges to another room?

sanger727

I'm traveling on the jade in January with a trip of 3. Me, bf, and my stepmother. Me and my bf will be traveling together but I'm booked in the room with my stepmother for the purpose of the perks (my bf doesn't drink at all and I don't drink enough for it to be worth losing a different perk and being charged two service charges). So, I'll have to get my sea pass card w the bev package on it. I'm planning on getting a second card as a room key to my bf's room. All 3 of us will have various amounts of obc. What I'm wondering if I can transfer my obc to his account and get a key with charging privileges to his account.

Right now he will start w $75 and I'll have $150. If we each charge about $50 in misc spending, he will have $25 left and I'll have $100... so, would prefer that all be on one account so could use the total $125 towards a larger purchase in the shops or spa. Anyone know if this can be done?

They won't let you move the OBC around, but I'm sure they will let two cards pay for one transaction. Split the check, in other words.

Have you done that on Ncl? Just read a warning post (may have been celebrity though). That they were not allowed to do that. My bf's obc comes with the room. My obc will come from the credit card points and hasn't been redeemed yet, but guessing they will let me apply it to any room I like when I call to redeem it.

Each of you can have separate charge accounts - ie you can each use your own cc to charge against. You can also combine accounts ie you and your BF can be on one cc and your stepmom on her own.

Recently we had OBC that came with the room - they split it between the two of us on the amenity receipt we received from our TA. However onboard we combined everything into one account and used one cc for the whole thing and they combined the OBC. From that, I think that if you and your BF set up one charge card connected to your two ship cards they would combine your credits and his OBC.

As for getting a room key to your BF's room, that needs to be done at the hotel desk onboard ship - just ask for a spare room key for his room - that key will have no charging privileges.

I would make sure that you have a copy of your amenity receipt and make sure that it clearly outlines who has what amenities. It is your only proof of what you have coming to you if something should go sideways.

Bonvoyagie, we will certainly try for that, but not sure if they will let us do a combined account like that when we are in two different rooms.

Has anyone else been able to split a charge between two cards? As long as they do let us do that, that might be the simplest solution?

Edited by sanger727

I know everyone in the same cabin can either use their own credit card or use just the one. If you are all under the One booking I think you can use the same card. When I set up people's account on checking in it offers the choice of using the same card or a different one, try that& see what happens.

Does seem kind of complicated what you are trying to do. Sounds like the sort of situation where a mistake can easily occur. You could use your OBC for the spa treatments and your bf can use his card to buy your miscellaneous i.e. drinks, gift shop etc. There's no rule preventing either of you charging items to the one cruise card until your OBC is gone.

You could then use cash to the pay off your accounts if you spend more than the OBC.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

I know everyone in the same cabin can either use their own credit card or use just the one. If you are all under the One booking I think you can use the same card. When I set up people's account on checking in it offers the choice of using the same card or a different one, try that& see what happens.

Does seem kind of complicated what you are trying to do. Sounds like the sort of situation where a mistake can easily occur. You could use your OBC for the spa treatments and your bf can use his card to buy your miscellaneous i.e. drinks, gift shop etc. There's no rule preventing either of you charging items to the one cruise card until your OBC is gone.

You could then use cash to the pay off your accounts if you spend more than the OBC.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

That may be what we end up doing. But we tend to not spend the whole day together and want to be able to get a cappuccino using obc without him being there.

Thanks for all the advice, I think I'll just put the obc on my account and see if we can combine at check in, if we can't we can't

On my last cruise I had a lot of OBC. I was able to transfer $1000 OBC from one room to another. In the other room the $550 total OBC was applied to the one credit card used for that room.

I think the ability to transfer any OBC is likely dependent on where it came from.

I think your best bet is to use the same credit card for you and your boyfriend when you check in. That way, regardless of what room the OBC came from it will be applied to the same card.

If your on board spending will pretty much be the total OBC amount then check your account near the end of the cruise and transfer charges to the other room if necessary.

I have never had any trouble transferring purchases or spa charges made by my mother or aunt to my account. Similarly if parents are in one cabin and children in another, all the charges can be combined to one account.

Rochelle

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

On my last cruise I had a lot of OBC. I was able to transfer $1000 OBC from one room to another. In the other room the $550 total OBC was applied to the one credit card used for that room.

I think the ability to transfer any OBC is likely dependent on where it came from.

I think your best bet is to use the same credit card for you and your boyfriend when you check in. That way, regardless of what room the OBC came from it will be applied to the same card.

If your on board spending will pretty much be the total OBC amount then check your account near the end of the cruise and transfer charges to the other room if necessary.

I have never had any trouble transferring purchases or spa charges made by my mother or aunt to my account. Similarly if parents are in one cabin and children in another, all the charges can be combined to one account.

Rochelle

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks, it's all nonrefundable, unfortunately. Or else it would just be used towards dsc and this wouldn't be an issue.

We will have to try to spend it all. Don't expect to go over unless it's spent in the spa and there's a small balance.

Edited by sanger727