A moan and a request!

MBP&O2/O

From November ....

(2) Having duly paid the full amount before 31st October, I find that on 1st November the 10% offer is extended to 31st December!

Guess what happens on 31st December?????? Deadline extended to 28 February !!!!!!

Naughty or what.

I too had similar to this and was probably a bit miffed at the time. I stumped up in full last June, then the offers kept being extended by 2 months and eventually did stop giving the early booking discount at the end of October.

In fairness, they want to sell their cruises. Had the offer been more successful it would have ended far sooner. They extended it because they still needed to give the incentive to try to fill the cruise.

Look on the bright side. You booked earlier and managed to get a better suite location. Indeed thats the way I looked at it at the time.

But for me it got better and better. First they added another incentive of a 2 category upgrade which I too was given, then I also got after, a $1000 OBC. This was only done because the promotion wasnt as successful as theyd hoped.

We enjoyed the Silversea 10% discount for paying early on our Silver Wind crossing that ended earlier this month. However, strongly recommend (whether UK or US based) you find a good Silversea Travel Agent (TA) and book with them. Since 2011, we have enjoyed at least 10% discount (e.g. in addition to the Wind early payment 10%) from our TA on our last nine Silversea cruises.

Having a good TA is important not only from a fiscal perspective but equally from the scale of cruise booking business they bring to the table. TA's work for you the client and will go to bat for you pre/during/post cruise. For example, during our February cruise we needed assistance while on board due to an error on Silversea's part. During our Spirit South America (Rio/Carnaval) cruise in February--while on board we encountered a serious problem with one the the Spirit's leaders. Our TA immediately handled with Silversea's corporate office in Florida (my wife got a phone call the next day with a sincere apology from this Spirit officer)--endstate was Silversea offered us a $2000 future cruise credit. Also, many TA's belong to a travel consortium and when you book a cruise not only due you get the TA's (10%+ discount) but the travel consortium (e.g.Ensemble, Signature, Vacation.com) also offers a group SBC (Ship Board Credit, we rcvd $250pp on our Wind crossing). TA's also generally know the best suites to book based on their client's preferences.

Yes, you have a choice to book directly with Silversea but our strong preference is to book with a Travel Agent.

Specialty restaurant menus:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2304858&highlight=menu

Edited by WesW

• 2 weeks later...

Wes, it sounds you have an excellent agent working for you.

I mentioned previously above my personal experience using an agent on a cruise last August that I missed out on reductions that those booking direct were given. Again my own experience on my next cruise being given all the extra incentives offered after we'd paid in full. Within my rollcall on that cruise, someone who booked through an agent was refused the $1000 onboard spend those booking direct got.

Not all agents battle on your behalf - indeed some actually blatantly lie as a thread on here recently showed. In your shoes (from what you've found with your agent), I'd do the same as you have. Indeed friends of ours always use the same agent too and swear by them.

Edited by les37b

I don't post that often - am more of a lurker, so be gentle with me :)

We booked our May 17 Med cruise last June direct with SS. TA are thin on the ground where I live. We've used one before and that was rip-off so vowed never to use them again.

Anyway.... we booked two cruises at the same time. The first one we got £69 business class flights, $1.5k obc, Venetian discount and 10% discount if paid in full by the end of June. The second cruise we only got the 10% paid in full discount.

A couple of months later I noticed on SS website that they were now offering our second cruise with free business class flights (we had to pay for ours), OBC and the 10% paid in full discount which had been extended to I think November.

I didn't really look that closely into it so I don't know if SS had increased the cost of the cruise etc to compensate for the discounts. It maybe that the two cruises would have come out at exactly the same amount.

Marie

Save

That is just the reason to have good TA. They can fight your battles. Your agent does not have to be local. With phone, fax and e-mail you may never meet them. Ask your friends, Google travel associations, consortiums etc. I do not believe I can name anyone particular on this thread but look through the topics/opinions threads and you may find just what you need! Good luck.[emoji4]

I don't post that often - am more of a lurker, so be gentle with me :)

We booked our May 17 Med cruise last June direct with SS. TA are thin on the ground where I live. We've used one before and that was rip-off so vowed never to use them again.

Anyway.... we booked two cruises at the same time. The first one we got £69 business class flights, $1.5k obc, Venetian discount and 10% discount if paid in full by the end of June. The second cruise we only got the 10% paid in full discount.

A couple of months later I noticed on SS website that they were now offering our second cruise with free business class flights (we had to pay for ours), OBC and the 10% paid in full discount which had been extended to I think November.

I didn't really look that closely into it so I don't know if SS had increased the cost of the cruise etc to compensate for the discounts. It maybe that the two cruises would have come out at exactly the same amount.

Marie

Marie, what did it say on your receipt? Surely that would tell you, but if not, a call to SS to ask them to add the second batch of incentives. I hear what you say about giving incentives but actually increasing the price so really, you're no better off. The SS agent I spoke to even admitted they do that.... but on mine all was good. Did you not call? I'm not sure that Agents or SS are going to do anything unless you tell them. Maybe worth asking if they added the deal and if they didnt, why not. Nothing to lose.

That is just the reason to have good TA. They can fight your battles. Your agent does not have to be local. With phone, fax and e-mail you may never meet them. Ask your friends, Google travel associations, consortiums etc. I do not believe I can name anyone particular on this thread but look through the topics/opinions threads and you may find just what you need! Good luck.[emoji4]

Thanks for the advice, it's certainly worth thinking about.

I suppose the 'fear' of TA stems back to past experiences years ago with local TA's. In our area they had a reputation of being money grabbing so there was a lot of distrust. Then when we did try and over come our fear and use one, we found nothing had changed. It does then you make you very weary.

Marie

Marie, what did it say on your receipt? Surely that would tell you, but if not, a call to SS to ask them to add the second batch of incentives. I hear what you say about giving incentives but actually increasing the price so really, you're no better off. The SS agent I spoke to even admitted they do that.... but on mine all was good. Did you not call? I'm not sure that Agents or SS are going to do anything unless you tell them. Maybe worth asking if they added the deal and if they didnt, why not. Nothing to lose.

Thanks for that.

Part of the problem is we don't seem to have the same SS agent for very long as they keep leaving so we never know who we're dealing with.

For a few years we have the lovely Rea and we built up a really good friendly relationship. However she left, then we got Dan. He left so we got another one, who also left.

As you say I've got nothing to loose so come Monday I'll give them a ring.

Marie

Edited by Gertieprickles
Spelling mistake

Thanks for that.

Part of the problem is we don't seem to have the same SS agent for very long as they keep leaving so we never know who we're dealing with.

For a few years we have the lovely Rea and we built up a really good friendly relationship. However she left, then we got Dan. He left so we got another one, who also left.

As you say I've got nothing to loose so come Monday I'll give them a ring.

Marie

Good point. We also had Dan (W) until he left in early 2016 (or there abouts) We like our new one we have too. But I'm guessing the same could be said of TA for staff changeovers.... but yes I agree its good to have continuity.

I think you should call them though. Just say it doesnt look like you added the promotion (what ever it was) so asking why the price warrenty isnt being applied. My next trip I got several promotional add ons (none were just added - I had to ring and ask for them).... and someone on my same cruise using an agent was told they weren't applicable. Clearly not true! The actual price on mine did stay static though which made it easy to spot I guess.

Edited by les37b

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate the 10% discount being offered, but I'm very unhappy that although the 10% discount has been extended, the price of the cruise has risen by 10% as well. There doesn't seem to be any good reason to increase the price of a cruise that is over a year away, but it's a pricing game I'm not willing to play. I don't think I'm interested in booking with Silversea anymore.

Thanks for the advice, it's certainly worth thinking about.

I suppose the 'fear' of TA stems back to past experiences years ago with local TA's. In our area they had a reputation of being money grabbing so there was a lot of distrust. Then when we did try and over come our fear and use one, we found nothing had changed. It does then you make you very weary.

Marie

As you will know, we're not allowed to recommend TAs by name here at CC. But there's an excellent TA in southern England dealing only with luxury cruises. They give a very good discount, are experienced at dealing with SS and Seabourn (not sure about Regent) and will fight your corner when needed.

Not local to me, never met them face to face, never been to their office but have used for a few years now and very happy indeed with the service.

Above all, I advise do NOT use the 'chain' travel agents for booking luxury cruises. I'm talking about the ones found on most High Streets in the UK and a couple of them being household names associated with booking package holidays.

You need a TA who has a good strong relationship with the luxury lines and that means their business is solely booking luxury cruises, not all inclusive hols to Benidorm etc.

As a slight aside, I had a 'miscommunication' over flights with my TA, and whilst it was being resolved I started researching others .... just in case.

I looked and found four national award winning companies and contacted them outlining what I was looking for.

Not one replied.

Do they not want business or what?

The problem is that this attitude no longer suprises me ... I am getting old and cynical:)

I also contact SS with essentialy the same query. I want to incorporate different travel dates to the cruise .. go out a day early and stay for a few days afterwards. I gave them the booking reference so they knew they had a genuine customer to deal with - not just an enquiry. Their response was to say that they had forwarded my email onto my TA!! Not impressed!

Equally - whilst the 'early booking discount' is still going I note the cruise price is slowly creeping up. My early booking discount plus my TA loyalty discount has - on todays prices - saved me a fair amount of money.:D

As a slight aside, I had a 'miscommunication' over flights with my TA, and whilst it was being resolved I started researching others .... just in case.

I looked and found four national award winning companies and contacted them outlining what I was looking for.

Not one replied.

Do they not want business or what?

The problem is that this attitude no longer suprises me ... I am getting old and cynical:)

I also contact SS with essentialy the same query. I want to incorporate different travel dates to the cruise .. go out a day early and stay for a few days afterwards. I gave them the booking reference so they knew they had a genuine customer to deal with - not just an enquiry. Their response was to say that they had forwarded my email onto my TA!! Not impressed!

Equally - whilst the 'early booking discount' is still going I note the cruise price is slowly creeping up. My early booking discount plus my TA loyalty discount has - on todays prices - saved me a fair amount of money.:D

Awful attitude from those TAs! Especially considering how much the travel business has changed in the last 10 years or so with many people now making their own travel arrangements.

• 5 months later...

The question here is partly - does it make sense to use an agent, or to deal directly with SS? I'm a general contractor, have built 500+ homes, mostly dealing directly with buyers, but quite a few with realtors. A similar agency arrangement with a person between the end buyer and provider of the service (cruise) or product (house). In the same way I have seen great realtors that bring real value and expertise to the transaction, and deserve what they make (which, btw, generally makes the house buy more expensive), I see quite a few who couldn't find their rear end with both hands and good light. And everything in between. I suspect similar conditions apply in the case of a TA brokering cruises to would be cruisers. In both cases, to the extent the buyer has the time to invest in educating themselves, they will be more discerning in making their decision of how to proceed. Also in both cases, they involve an expensive decision that most people will only make a few times, with a lot of pitfalls and errors that can be made along the way. A truly knowledgeable agent, who has perhaps devoted a lifetime to their craft, might save you a lot of heartache, or worse - keep you from wasting your precious time on a cruise that isn't a good match. I have worked with realtors who truly brought decades of experience and smarts to transactions, and delivered a good experience to their clients. Also, have seen the complete opposite. The takeaway? Caveat Emptor - buyer beware. To the degree you have the time to do it, educate yourself, which happily you can do online these days, read widely, rely on reviews by credible established journalists. Trust, but verify. At some point, you have to sort of take the flying leap - commit to something. If you are using an agent, make sure you voice to them that you are using them with the expectation that they are looking out for you in exchange for their cut on the deal. I don't begrudge anyone who is giving me good service and benefit of years of expertise in exchange for Yankee Dollars. Just let them know you expect their best. Or, if you deal directly with the cruise line, explain that you are saving them the cost of paying an agent, and you expect them to give you consideration. Be ready to walk, and tell them you are ready to do so, if you don't get a fair shake. Seabourn is a very nice line; tell them you're ready to go there instead.

It is a much more complicated world to do any sort of business in than was the case in the past. You need to be light on your feet, look out for your best interests, don't begrudge anyone fair pay for services rendered, but take everything with a grain of salt, and most importantly, demand that EVERYTHING be put in writing. You don't want to be telling them 6 months later that they promised you XYZ, you want to be able to send them the email in which they promised that. If you have a serious problem, go right to the top. When I first bought a Volvo in 1980, I had a bad experience with local dealership. I wrote a letter to the CEO of Volvo America (I was in my 20's, first "nice" car buy.). 7 days later, the owner of the dealership calls, hat in hand, saying why did you contact HIM? I got total satisfaction, which happened to be only what I was promised in the first place. (verbally)

These bromides above are just standard stuff, but if helps anyone with their decision, I'm happy. And, remember that cruising is about a lot more than just what or where you eat. You should be enjoying every minute and every experience. Enjoy your spouse or POSSLQ, if you have one along. Some of the best time is just sitting on the poop deck, reading a book, watching the wake, and enjoying the freedom from the cares of the world. Something we can all use a bit of these days.

Just thought I would add to conversation. I'm booked on the Muse in 2019. Booked through TA who got all the discounts offered through SS and added $1000 OBC out of her end including $250 from consortium group they are part of (as mentioned previously). Paid in full by June 30 for 10% discount (no brainer for me as money in bank not earning anything). Also just checked back - 1.) 10% offer extended now until end of August but price has gone up $250 pp while mine is fixed 2.) Additionally says the following right on the specific voyage overview page

FEATURED EXCLUSIVE OFFERS / PROGRAMMES:

Early Booking Bonus: Save 10% if you book and pay in full by 31 August*

Fare Guarantee Program: When you plan ahead and book early, you will benefit from any future reduction in the voyage fare, upon request

So any future reductions are available to you, should any come along, key is you have to monitor and ask.

I appreciate the 10% discount being offered, but I'm very unhappy that although the 10% discount has been extended, the price of the cruise has risen by 10% as well. There doesn't seem to be any good reason to increase the price of a cruise that is over a year away, but it's a pricing game I'm not willing to play. I don't think I'm interested in booking with Silversea anymore.

Price increase means sailing is selling well. Basic supply and demand. Cruises, hotels, airlines all do it so not sure how this is SS fault. Sorry you won't be joining, but it is you that will miss out.

Just thought I would add to conversation. I'm booked on the Muse in 2019. Booked through TA who got all the discounts offered through SS and added $1000 OBC out of her end including $250 from consortium group they are part of (as mentioned previously). Paid in full by June 30 for 10% discount (no brainer for me as money in bank not earning anything). Also just checked back - 1.) 10% offer extended now until end of August but price has gone up $250 pp while mine is fixed 2.) Additionally says the following right on the specific voyage overview page

FEATURED EXCLUSIVE OFFERS / PROGRAMMES:

Early Booking Bonus: Save 10% if you book and pay in full by 31 August*

Fare Guarantee Program: When you plan ahead and book early, you will benefit from any future reduction in the voyage fare, upon request

So any future reductions are available to you, should any come along, key is you have to monitor and ask.

Because your fare has increased already by £250 you wouldn't be entitled to any additional offer... but if it was worth your while, you could cancel and rebook at the new price and get any new incentives that came it if it made financial sense to do so. But on the bright side booking early has given you a £250 saving each and that extra months money in your back is still as worthless in interest as it is for a longer period.

My own cruise went up by 70% last weekend so I guess that's it for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk