Things to Remember or do for new cruisers

sp29488

I'm trying to help a friend who has never been on a cruise before and I had a list I had made from all our our cruises but my computer crashed and I lost it. Could you post things that have helped with your cruises so I can make a new list and I can give it to her? I remember some but kind of on a time crunch here. She wants it tonight. :eek:

I always take a small medicine kit that has ibuprofen, pepto bismol, tums, neosporin, bandaids, etc.

These items are expensive on board and the tummy trouble meds they don't sell at all and if you go to the medical clinic, they are very likely to quarantine you to your cabin for a day or more.

Folks are eating, drinking and generally over indulging on a cruise so that can cause problems with your digestive system.

Take plenty of $1 and $5 for tips. You really don't need over 3 pair of shoes. And relax and enjoy what you can because there is no way you can do every activity on the boat. Also you can order more then 1 thing in the MDR (no cost). You can only carry on a 12 pack of pop (cans only) and 1 750ml of wine per person. DO NOT FORGET birth certificate and drivers license or a passport. I always find it helpful to sit down and make a list of last minute things to grab before going out the door and tape it to the handle of my suitcase. And don't forget the suitcase!

My wife made fun of me for packing so many medications. She said I looked like I was starting a pharmacy.

I had everything you could think of: tums, pepto, motion sickness, cold cough, sinus, Tylenol, excedrin etc.

The reason being my first cruise I had a headache and wanted to take Motrin...the price for a trial pack on the ship was nuts.

Come to find out, my wife got sick (upper respiratory infection, not sure if she got it on cruise or at work as she deals with sick people daily). My over preparation saved our cruise because she was a little less miserable using the meds I brought. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Highlighter to mark things off on the daily bulletin what activities would like to participate in the next day

Magnet(s) as the walls are metal comes in handy being able to put the bulletin, notices, tickets? Reservations ect up out of the way and not easily lost

Power converter & ? Power board if have more than 1 electrical device (eg iPod, mobile, speakers etc)

Plastic or other bag for dirty clothes

Photocopies of all documents & cards (in case lost)

Small alarm clock if not using phone (especially if inside cabin)

Spare glasses if wear any

Just a few suggestions that I can think of lol

I agree with the suggestion to not try to do too many activities on the ship but I'll add, try not to do an excursion at each port. I booked an excursion at each port on my first cruise and was exhausted when I came home. While I still don't like to stay on the ship while in port I do try to do at least one or two ports on my own. Just take a cab to a nearby beach or just get off, walk around, shop a little and try to relax a bit.

We're also helping some newbies and it was important to be clear about beverage allocations: 1 bottle of wine pp, 12 cans/cartons of non-alcoholic drinks pp, and that they must all be carry on - not checked luggage. Our friends didn't know any of this.

We really liked the HUB app as a modern version of highlighting activites in the Fun Times - download it before you go. Without paying for internet or messaging, you can see all the activities for the day and *star* ones that interest you. The ones you've selected will pop up reminders on your phone that the activity/show is starting soon. I'm really bad about forgetting all the great plans I made for the day until it's too late, so this really helped.

If they are visiting any ports that have Zika warnings - bug spray with DEET

$1 & $5 bills for tips

Passport or driver's license with government issued photo ID

A good attitude! :) As long as you understand that not everything is going to go perfectly and know how to roll with it, you will have a fantastic time! Travel is whatever you make of it!

Do you have to pay extra for internet on the ship?

Yes. There are various internet packages available.

I usually just get the social media package so I can keep in touch with friends and family at home. In the past it has been $5 per day per device. I don't know if that has changed in the last 8 months though.

If your a married woman and you are using ur birth cert. and drivers license instead of passport take your marriage license.... I have only been asked for it once but better safe than sorry. (It connects ur maiden name on birth to your married name on license).

If your in an inside room and have kids take glow in dark necklaces and such... rooms are dark.

Order cheese or fruit tray to take to room after dinner if u like snacks at night and don't want to leave ur room.

Take the flavored creamer you like for coffee.. (or as my mnl does and take packs of hot coco for her coffee)

Tea is unsweetened but it's free, sugar in cold liquid doesn't work, add 1/2 tea and 1/2 lemonade for a sweet free lemon tea

Edited by ettaterrell

Pack clothes, shoes, meds, and electronics. Take half of your clothes out out and repack.

Do NOT pack all of that crap on the packing list. Instead take an extra $40 for incidentals.

Double the money. Everyone usually goes crazy spending on 1st cruise.

Take a beach day if you're on a 6+ day cruise to enjoy the ocean and beach.

Pace yourself eating. If I have late dining I try to stop snacking around 3/4pm.

Read the daily paper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

If your a married woman and you are using ur birth cert. and drivers license instead of passport take your marriage license.... I have only been asked for it once but better safe than sorry. (It connects ur maiden name on birth to your married name on license).

If your in an inside room and have kids take glow in dark necklaces and such... rooms are dark.

Order cheese or fruit tray to take to room after dinner if u like snacks at night and don't want to leave ur room.

Take the flavored creamer you like for coffee.. (or as my mnl does and take packs of hot coco for her coffee)

Tea is unsweetened but it's free, sugar in cold liquid doesn't work, add 1/2 tea and 1/2 lemonade for a sweet free lemon tea

I agree about the marriage cert. I've been sailing with my passport for years, but before that I used my BC and I was actually asked for my bridging document( marriage cert)more than once ! We love hot cocoa with coffee too. Carnival has the best hot chocolate machines at the buffet so no need to haul packets if you are sailing Carnival :)

Do not buy photos until the very end. You can start a folder at the register and they will keep your photos you may want to buy in the folder for you to go through at the end and pick the best ones.

A power outlet for all your charging. Defanitely need more outlets.

Repel with Deet WIPES are easier whether you are flying or driving to port.

Sunscreen sticks travel better too. We like Neutrogena Sport sticks a lot.

* One stick lasts 2 of us for a week with a lot leftover and it works well.

+1 on creating a sampling of all your OTC meds and first aid supplies.

Bring your own snorkel (rentals= yuck)

Don't over-pack clothes and shoes. Reuse clean items.

* if you don't mind packing/hauling/unpacking/packing/hauling/unpacking and then washing then pack whatever makes you happy :)

Bathing suits rarely dry overnight. Bring 2 or 3.

Dollar Tree battery tea lights make great night lights and take almost no space.

Start a trip wallet now and add documents,excursion confirmations, ID,passports, cash, credit cards as you prepare for your trip. Then guard that puppy with your life. It's the only thing you really NEED for going on a cruise ;) I start mine the day I book. I just keep the whole thing in my fire safe.

Edited by Athankfulheart

Patience and a positive attitude! There will be lines, things can go awry, everything might not go perfectly.

Also, don't be afraid to ask your room steward for something (ice, extra hangers, more towels, etc.), or for help if something isn't working. We lived with a touchy balcony door for a few days, just because we were lazy and/or didn't want to be a bother. Once we mentioned it, it was fixed in a jiffy.

Try things in the MDR (main dining room) that you wouldn't normally order in a restaurant because if it turns out that you don't like it, you can order something else, gratis. In fact, it's possible the server will offer something else if it looks like you're not enjoying it. (Usually, I'm just too full and want to save room for dessert :))

Pack comfortable clothes and comfortable shoes. There is lots of walking, even just on the ship. NOT the time and place to be breaking in those cute new shoes!

Edited by srlafleur