Explorer's Inaugural Atlantic Crossing: A Joint Live Blog

Mr Rumor

TC, just one correction in your review, the 777-200 is a much older aircraft to the 777-300 or the 777W. The 787 Dreamliner is very new within the last three years. The 787 is just now being delivered to AA in 2017 and Emirates.

IMHO, the A-380 is the best especially on Singapore and Emirates. Business and first cannot be beat. Air Canada meh.

Interesting - perhaps the 777-200 had been recently refurbished? The lie-flat seats in both aircraft are definitely new - much more comfortable than we have had in the past. Agree that Air Canada isn't great but we did not have a lot of choices (we have flown Singapore and loved it -- not the A-380 and Emirates does not fly from our closest airport.)

As a side note, I worked for the French company that designed the "777" aircraft in the 90's so it is definitely much older than the "787" Dreamliner

Interesting - perhaps the 777-200 had been recently refurbished? The lie-flat seats in both aircraft are definitely new - much more comfortable than we have had in the past. Agree that Air Canada isn't great but we did not have a lot of choices (we have flown Singapore and loved it -- not the A-380 and Emirates does not fly from our closest airport.)

As a side note, I worked for the French company that designed the "777" aircraft in the 90's so it is definitely much older than the "787" Dreamliner

You must be confused with Airbus Industries. The 777 was designed by Boeing.

I worked for the airlines for 26 years and was on the task force for cabin design for the 757 and 767.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777

You must be confused with Airbus Industries. The 777 was designed by Boeing.

I worked for the airlines for 26 years and was on the task force for cabin design for the 757 and 767.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777

You may want to do more research. The 777 was "the first commercial aircraft to be designed 100% by computer. No paper drawings were ever produced; everything was created on a 3D CAD software system known as CATIA. This allowed a virtual 777 to be assembled in cyberspace, allowing engineers to examine for interferences and to test if the many thousands of part would fit together properly before costly physical prototypes were manufactured".*

The company that did the virtual design (for Boeing) was Dassault Systemes of America (a French company). I have no idea why Wikipedia does not give proper credit to Dassault. When the 777 launched, the engineers at Dassault were over the moon excited. I suppose that it is fair to say that Dassault worked with Boeing on the project but CATIA 3D software was used and that was was developed by Dassault. In any case, it is a nice aircraft that has had a few problems in recent years (as has Boeing's Dreamliner).

*Quote from aviationexplorer.com

P.S. Not claiming to know anything about aircraft as I worked in Human Resources for a division of Lockheed that was sold to IBM and then sold to Dassault -- not that different than Regent and their three owners.

Edited by Travelcat2

Since I only mentioned a couple of hundred times that I had purchased three cases of wine while in Italy, I'd thought I'd share this pic with wines from Ferenc Mate wineries. These little guys have 30 other friends.

Z and TB

a9f01814348a288ad082f39b0278aebe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I only mentioned a couple of hundred times that I had purchased three cases of wine while in Italy, I'd thought I'd share this pic with wines from Ferenc Mate wineries. These little guys have 30 other friends.

Z and TB

Very jealous. We are still on the ship and miss you all. They ran out of our favourite white 4 days ago,same as on the last leg. All I can say is we r thankful to Daniela. Llips sealed

Z and TB

Z - a quick question...is any of that great looking wine left? After all, it has been almost a week since you posted the picture. Hope you and TB have a wonderful Christmas and that your foot is all better. V and C

Vandy!

Great hearing from you. Believe it or not, we have only touched two bottles although I'm sure we will put a dent in them on Christmas day. There are only 24 bottles for drinking since I am storing the case of 2010 Brunello for a long time before I winchester them all. Merry Christmas to you and Crissy!

Z and TB

Good Morning, all and I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.

FYI, I am a regular contributor to a thread started by fellow cruisers from a 2010 Med cruise. Upon request, I am posting a more detailed trip report of this cruise in the Scurvy Crew thread located in CC's Floataway Lounge. It can be found at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2019284&highlight=scurvy&page=94 and it starts in post number 3757.

I copied all I wrote in this thread and have been expanding it with more info and lots more pics. If I borrow anyone's info or pic (e.g., Rich's crew and pax stats), I will make sure I provide due credit.

I hope to relive our wonderful trip as I revisit all our adventures and hope you enjoy it as much as we will.

Z and TB

Good Morning, all and I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.

FYI, I am a regular contributor to a thread started by fellow cruisers from a 2010 Med cruise. Upon request, I am posting a more detailed trip report of this cruise in the Scurvy Crew thread located in CC's Floataway Lounge. It can be found at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2019284&highlight=scurvy&page=94 and it starts in post number 3757.

I copied all I wrote in this thread and have been expanding it with more info and lots more pics. If I borrow anyone's info or pic (e.g., Rich's crew and pax stats), I will make sure I provide due credit.

I hope to relive our wonderful trip as I revisit all our adventures and hope you enjoy it as much as we will.

Z and TB

Love the photos that you posted of your pre-cruise adventures! Looks like a lot of fun.