Texting

I know there are threads on the RCCL message board regarding phone packages for texting . I believe that these are not thru RLLC but the individual phone companies. I just can't locate them. Can any of you tell me if Verizon has such a package. I really need to be able to communicate, or be reached if needed by my family without costing either of us an arm and maybe a leg as well. Any help will be appreciated.

I am going to go see our local Verizon dealer, but I also need to know if the ship adds cost per day for texting. As you can tell, I may have a smart phone , but I certainly am not smart when it comes to using and understanding it.

Thanks,

Virginia Lea

You don't need a package to send/receive texts using Verizon while at sea. Verizon charges $0.50 per text sent, and something like $0.05 or $0.10 per text received. No Verizon or ship packages needed. These are SMS (simple) texts, no photos, no videos, no group texting.

Also, if your phone supports wifi calling and you purchase the ship's internet package, you will be able to call and text with no added charges. I don't think Verizon offers a cruise ship package, just the pay per use charges listed above (and it is $.05 per received text)

I just got off of Freedom last week and also have Verizon. I have a Galaxy S5 and was able to text for free with Voom. I kind of stumbled onto this. I had my phone on airplane mode as usual. I also turned my data off seperately just in case. I continued to get text messages. Apparently if you use VERIZONS text messaging NOT Samsungs, it will work on wifi for free. I just called to verify any charges from last week and there are none. I probable sent and received 100 messages while onboard.

I just got off of Freedom last week and also have Verizon. I have a Galaxy S5 and was able to text for free with Voom. I kind of stumbled onto this. I had my phone on airplane mode as usual. I also turned my data off seperately just in case. I continued to get text messages. Apparently if you use VERIZONS text messaging NOT Samsungs, it will work on wifi for free. I just called to verify any charges from last week and there are none. I probable sent and received 100 messages while onboard.

I'm thinking your phone must have WiFi calling capability.

That is correct, on my Galaxy S6 it's call Message+

Yes, in order to use your phone's wifi calling it must be wifi calling capable. Otherwise you can use skype etc for wifi calling. I actually used wifi calling in Facebook Messenger.

If you opt not to use Voom, you just need to sign up for Verizon's Free international calling add on and then texts are 50 cents for sent and 5 for received.

Thank you so much for the information. Again as I said I am about as tech savey as a spider, so how do I know if I have Wi-Fi calling? Also Voom is a daily charge per device , correct?

You don't need a package to send/receive texts using Verizon while at sea. Verizon charges $0.50 per text sent, and something like $0.05 or $0.10 per text received. No Verizon or ship packages needed. These are SMS (simple) texts, no photos, no videos, no group texting.

Thanks Bob, you always come to my rescue. You are my cruise knight for sure.

We need to know what type phone you have to tell you how to check on WiFi calling. My IPhone it's in the settings > phone > WiFi Calling

I just returned from the Allure and using the ships WiFi was able to do every thing I could do at home. I was able to text, call, Email, surf net, stream Sirius, FaceTime, send photo, etc.

Just keep in mind the ships WiFi will log you off after two hours with no activity so you have to re-log back in.

There is no message charge only the daily cost of ships WiFi. We had it free, but I think on the ship it was $13 and $18 depending on what speed you wanted. You can use as many devices as you want, but only one at a time can be logged in.

Edited by jamesr3939

Are there no ship charges when sending messages while at sea?

Sent from my iPad using Forums