Clothing options for teens

S0ccerm0m3

*Before I start, I know people have really strong opinions about this but I need to be practical. My kids always look presentable and I know about the "no shorts" policy.

"To shop, or not to shop?"-My 2 older boys (15,17) have a standard clothing routine. They wear khaki/tan cargo pants almost everyday with an occasional pair of jeans thrown in as the weather gets cold. As we are prepping/packing for the cruise in 1 week, I realize they have done it again-grown! They each have a pair of black pants, 2 dress shirts/ties and sports jackets. Issue is that they now have one pair of tan pants between them since they have grown in the past few months. They don't often have a need for them, although I do believe they each need at least one pair. Question is, do I spend the money to get get them additional pants to have for the MDR "non-formal nights" for dinner? When they were younger, they could get away with a button down/polo and a pair of tan shorts. Can we still do that at this age? What about in the suite lounge? They do have enough button downs and polos for every night. I know I will get very different opinions about this. IMO-tan shorts look nicer than a pair of jeans at dinner for those that offer that as a solution. Now off to buy the 11 and 15 year old new dress shoes since they grew out of those also😟

*fyi-My MDR dinner attire usually consists of sundresses and my husband wears tan pants and button down shirts.

Let the debate begin.......

If the tan pants are something they would normally wear anyhow I would just go ahead & buy them each a pair for the cruise...I know for the DL & CL the conceige's letter always requested no shorts in the evening...not sure if the suite lounge is the same or not...

I would buy them each a pair of khakis and a pair of jeans.

Surely, they will have other uses for these wardrobe staples. School events, parties, college visits/interviews, etc. You can buy them inexpensively enough at Target, Kohls, etc.

Unlike shorts, jeans are not on the list of things they are asked not to wear in the MDR, CL, DL, etc, on the cruise.

Edited by DonnaK

If the tan pants are something they would normally wear anyhow I would just go ahead & buy them each a pair for the cruise...I know for the DL & CL the conceige's letter always requested no shorts in the evening...not sure if the suite lounge is the same or not...

My plan is for them to each have a pair of black pants (2 nights) and at least one pair of tan. The issue is that 1 pair of tan pants is pushing it for 5 nights. I guess they are going to bring at least 1 pair of jeans to offset those 5 nights, but should I spend the money for a 2nd or even 3rd pair of tan pants for each?

My plan is for them to each have a pair of black pants (2 nights) and at least one pair of tan. The issue is that 1 pair of tan pants is pushing it for 5 nights. I guess they are going to bring at least 1 pair of jeans to offset those 5 nights, but should I spend the money for a 2nd or even 3rd pair of tan pants for each?

If they each have one pair of black pants, one pair of tan pants and one pair of jeans, then they will be fine. Each pair will get multiple wearings because they will only be wearing them a few hours each night (they can change back into shorts after dinner).

I would guess that depends on how hard they are on the pants. If they only wear the pants for a short time and don't get them messed up, you can probably get by with fewer pairs.

No. If you need to buy another khaki pair so they both have 1 pair, I would do that, but that's it. If they are only wearing the pants for dinner, they can easily wear one pair for the whole 5 nights and just change up the shirt. If you think about it, wearing a pair of pants for 2 hours at dinner for 5 nights is equal to wearing the pants for 10 hours, which would be equivalent to wearing a pair of pants for 1 day. I would not buy (or bring with me), 2 or 3 pairs of the same pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would allow them shorts at embarkation day! That makes 6 nights between the other pants! And if you (or them!) eat one night in the windjammer instead of MDR - you are golden!

Second the recommendation to hang them up after use and then if something bad happened - have them laundered or wear the jeans or shorts.

I have a growing boy - now 10...it's an expensive proposition to keep them clothed and they don't really wear these types of clothes to school so 1 pair black and 1 pair khaki is all we like to have!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks everyone. Your comments make me feel better. We are going with 1 black, 1 tan and 1 pair of jeans for each of them. Then I will bring 1 additional pair of tan that they both fit in to, just in case one of them needs it. Maybe I'll find a good sale going on😊.