Costa Maya Dilemma

islandgirl1950

Is there anything to do around the cruises port? We don't want to wander far from the ship at this stop. Suggestions are definitely appreciated.

there is an area with shopping, bars, pool at the end of the pier ... a little bit further is the small town

The port is owned by the cruise lines. There isn't much to do outside of the port. There is a pool in the middle of the shopping area. We normally book an excursion at this port.

Norwegian Epic - November 2016

Carnival Sunshine - November 2015

Princess Ruby Princess - September 2015

Norwegian Getway - August 2014

RCCL Oasis of the Seas - August 2014

Carnival Legend - November 2013

Norwegian Epic - August 2012 ---- Mediterranean (Spain/Italy)

RCCL Jewl of the Seas - November 2011

Norwegian Epic - October 2010

Norwegian Star - July 2010 --- Alaska

Carnival Freedom - August 2009

Carnival Legend - August 2008

The port is owned by the cruise lines. There isn't much to do outside of the port. There is a pool in the middle of the shopping area. We normally book an excursion at this port.

Norwegian Epic - November 2016

Carnival Sunshine - November 2015

Princess Ruby Princess - September 2015

Norwegian Getway - August 2014

RCCL Oasis of the Seas - August 2014

Carnival Legend - November 2013

Norwegian Epic - August 2012 ---- Mediterranean (Spain/Italy)

RCCL Jewl of the Seas - November 2011

Norwegian Epic - October 2010

Norwegian Star - July 2010 --- Alaska

Carnival Freedom - August 2009

Carnival Legend - August 2008

Which cruise lines own the port? It seems there's not a lot of info about that I can find.

I'm interested in this too. Is there a beach by the port too like in Grand Turk?

Very small beach, as in the size of a middle class home's patio or small lot backyard.

However, everyone, the malecon with all it's beach clubs is a very short taxi or tram ride away. One long beach that you can walk along a paved walk way (malecon) and stop and any beach club you want to stop at. Similar views similar water, similar amenities at all the clubs; no man made boundaries/fences/ gates, etc. between clubs. Biggest difference is types of loungers offered and quality of service, food and drink.

Sticking around the overpriced stuff at the cruise port is as bad as not getting off the ship.

If you go to Costa Maya, you must leave the port area and go to Mahahual Beach. It is a beautiful beach and there are several places to eat and drink. It is a very safe area, and the people are friendly.

I have been there three times, diving each time with Gypsea Divers. My husband and I are planning to return for a couple weeks next year.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree.... get off the Ship and go beyond the Port. It's a $3 shuttle ride or $2 taxi ride to the little town and great beach. There are many beach clubs to choose from or just wonder along the 'malacon' to shop and explore.

If you do want just a quiet beach area.... check out Blue Kay. It's right near the Lighthouse. For $5 we got a drink and use of the facilities for the day. They have beach chairs and hammocks and we almost had the beach to ourselves. You can see the Ship from your Chair.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree.... get off the Ship and go beyond the Port. It's a $3 shuttle ride or $2 taxi ride to the little town and great beach. There are many beach clubs to choose from or just wonder along the 'malacon' to shop and explore.

If you do want just a quiet beach area.... check out Blue Kay. It's right near the Lighthouse. For $5 we got a drink and use of the facilities for the day. They have beach chairs and hammocks and we almost had the beach to ourselves. You can see the Ship from your Chair.

Hello , I'm so glad I found this forum . We are leaving the Thursday for a Christmas cruise we will be in costa maya on Christmas Day ... is the tram round trip or is it every time you get on it ? We have never been on a cruise before so kinda freaking out a little

Thanks in advanced

Lori

Lori,

Take a taxi to and from Blue Kay. Don't take the tram. You do have to walk out the parking lot and gate to get a taxi, but it's not far and if you follow the map of the port you basically head straight past the shops and there's an exit tot he parking lot that puts you in front to the gate. A Taxi can pull directly into the entrance to Blue Kay. $3 down and $2 back. The tram stops a bit further down and you'll need to walk back. It's not far but the people at the first stop (Tequila Beach) will hound you a bit to stay there. Also there may or may not be a newly opened spot between TB and Blue Kay, so you could get "swayed" to that spot.