Let's start a "Don't Miss List" in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway

KENLORJUS

I agree there's too much to suggest.... where should we start? Need to make multiple cruises to fit it all in.

• need extra days in Vancouver.... there's too much to do and eat. Capilano? Grouse? Whistler? Victoria? Dim Sum? Storybrooke? Banff? Orca whale watches? Day trip to Seattle?

wait...... Storybrooke? I need to visit! Why? I don't know..... but I would love to see the actual town...... how far is this from the cruise pier?

For instance, I have no idea about what to do in Victoria. Looking for some opinions. ot necessarily must do, but some things that interest others.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of ideas for Victoria, but I'll add one more. If you will be in port for most of the day and you're a big book nerd like me, you might want to check out Sidney, BC. It's about an hour away via city bus and it's a "book town." A little town filled with book shops. bctransit.com gives you the bus schedule and other info. It would be a beautiful ride.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of ideas for Victoria, but I'll add one more. If you will be in port for most of the day and you're a big book nerd like me, you might want to check out Sidney, BC. It's about an hour away via city bus and it's a "book town." A little town filled with book shops. bctransit.com gives you the bus schedule and other info. It would be a beautiful ride.

I actually haven't gotten any suggestions on what to do in Victoria :D

We are in port from 6pm to midnight. Weird.

We have a similar schedule on our cruise (Princess in May). Butchart Gardens is nice in the evening and will be easy to get to. It's a beautiful town, so just taking a stroll would be lovely. I would ask on ship if there are any areas to avoid, just to be safe. I haven't been there is quite a few years.

Do a search on the word Victoria and you'll pull up many past threads that provide suggestions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=102772195

If the weather is nice, walk to town and enjoy the inner harbor. Its very picturesque .... lots of boats and seaplanes, Empress Hotel, Parliament Bldg, , beautiful hanging baskets everywhere, buskers, usually someone with bagpipes. Fishermans Wharf is a nice stop about halfway to town. Some good pubs.

Do a search on the word Victoria and you'll pull up many past threads that provide suggestions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=102772195

If the weather is nice, walk to town and enjoy the inner harbor. Its very picturesque .... lots of boats and seaplanes, Empress Hotel, Parliament Bldg, , beautiful hanging baskets everywhere, buskers, usually someone with bagpipes. Fishermans Wharf is a nice stop about halfway to town. Some good pubs.

Thanks Mapleleaves

We'll be cruising to Alaska this July:

Juneau- pilot's choice helicopter tour. It was cancelled last time we were in Alaska so we're hoping for the best.

Skagway- zip line. Then shopping

Ketchikan- rented a boat for salmon fishing. On our own, not through the ship. We wanted to rent the whole boat.

Victoria- Butchart gardens. My husband thinks he'll dislike this and he says he's only doing it for me but I know he'll enjoy it.

We'll be cruising to Alaska this July:

Juneau- pilot's choice helicopter tour. It was cancelled last time we were in Alaska so we're hoping for the best.

Skagway- zip line. Then shopping

Ketchikan- rented a boat for salmon fishing. On our own, not through the ship. We wanted to rent the whole boat.

Victoria- Butchart gardens. My husband thinks he'll dislike this and he says he's only doing it for me but I know he'll enjoy it.

What boat did you Charter in Ketchikan for the salmon fishing?

• 2 weeks later...
Following. We want to do the train ride, whale watching and helicopter/seaplane ride while in our ports.
We are now taking an 11 year old with us, so the Train is a must.. Seaplane sounds good.. (must investigate where available).. Whale watching.. thinking anything that moves will be interesting to the 'kid'!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Butchart Gardens- one of the best in the World- book online the CVS express shuttle, picks up from the pier. They also have city tours. Ships have to stop at a Canadian port before returning to US that's why the night stop.

We will be on the Island Princess May 17, 2017. I have the Skagway excursion (White pass Train and rail). My hubby has tough time with sea sickness, so any smaller boat to see whales and such are out of the question. Any suggestions for excursions in Juneau and Ketchikan?

Thanks for all responses.

Butchart Gardens- one of the best in the World- book online the CVS express shuttle, picks up from the pier. They also have city tours. Ships have to stop at a Canadian port before returning to US that's why the night stop.

Are the gardens worth visiting after they close at 5 pm? or is it all closed behind gates? any other gardens of note to visit while docked? we only get in at 6,so not sure what to do

Are the gardens worth visiting after they close at 5 pm? or is it all closed behind gates? any other gardens of note to visit while docked? we only get in at 6,so not sure what to do

If you are there after June 14, the gardens are open until 10pm.

Yes, its behind gates. Its about a 1/2hr drive from the pier. With such a short port time, going with the ships excursion is the best option.

Beacon Hill Park is close to the Ogden Point pier.

http://www.beaconhillpark.ca/beacon_hill_park.html

There are several other gardens. Look at Victoria's web site or download the Visitor Guide.....i included a link in the Helpful Resources thread.

For people with that short evening stop, i usually recommend that they walk to the Inner Harbor for lovely views of the Parliament Bldgs, Empress Hotel,, the busy harbor, hanging baskets, buskers, etc. About halfway in the walk, maybe 15 minues, you come to Fishermans Wharf which is an interesting spot ....working dock, restaurants, floating homes, seals. http://fishermanswharfvictoria.com

In Skagway we just walked around town and we went and had lunch at the Red Onion. Great food and great service.

We also did the boat tour through the glacier. Stunning!

Juneau we walked around town and ate a cute little "shack/hut" called the Crepe Escape. Amazing!

Ketchikan were did a salmon fishing tour booked through the cruise line. We went in early June and we really didn't catch much, it was a beautiful day on the water.

In B.C. We actually didn't get off the boat. My husband has been there before (not on a cruise) and a lot of the things are better to do during the day. Like the gardens. Also there wasn't much to do right off the boat. So we went and had a lovely quiet dinner at the Steakhouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums