Formal wear Australia

Yup. Thanks for the tip Kiwi mate.

Kia Ora.

I am going through some personal tough times here. Dunno how to post in private that on this forum but I don't care.

But it is nothing compared to the hurt you guys are going through.

I trust all is well with your family over in the shaky isles.

Hope all gets better soon.

Have sailed quite a bit on RCL in the last three years. I am a little laid back and formal is not my style either at work or play BUT I have tried to fit in with the general guidelines and average dress code.

Started off buying a sports coat and borrowing a few ties (I did not own either) for our first cruise. My observation was that people dressed in tuxes (minority by far) suits/coats ties (probably 50-60%) and the rest in anything ranging from reasonably dressy slacks LS shirts to jeans and polos. I have seen a few turned away with shorts but I have seen T-shirts.

These percentages are slowly moving south towards the slacks button down shirts. Location of cruise also alters the dress percentages. Europe higher formal-Aussie, Asia lower.

What I can say is that, despite what you read on here at times, everyone I have met seems to just enjoy themselves and accepts a whatever floats your boat dress code (within reason and by not wearing what RCL states is not permitted). I will take my sports coat (but no tie) on our Radiance cruise but will leave it at home when we head across the Pacific and Alaska next April because we will be on the road for more than three months and have a few flights in between.

DH & I, like many, incorporate a bit of a road/train/plane trip before or after a cruise and including space consuming formal wear does become problematic. We do our best. As mentioned above it's really about enjoying the holiday and doing what suits you best. Within reason of course.

It's about getting into the spirit of formal. My teenage son has black pants and a very dark jacket that looks very formal with a white shirt and bow tie. A jacket and tie is nice for a nice dinner and I always wear that to the speciality restaurants. The staff treat you that little bit better and it all feels that little bit more special when you make an effort.

Here in Melbourne we have found that very good quality dinner suits are often available in op shops. Keep an eye out and $25 or $30 is all you need to pay for one in good condition.

I have picked up some great tie's and shirts for fancy dress nights as well.:D

Last cruise, we both wore wearing a tux suit combo on normal nights, easy to pack pants, bow-tie, and shirt, the problem is the jacket. Which we just wore on boarding, or packed carefully.

This combined with a mini-top hat fascinator.Twas good.

I have never wore a fascinator with my tux, perhaps next year.:D

Hi Folks

We returned yesterday from our Explorer of the seas cruise.

Here is what we saw

A large number of young adult males say 18--30 in the dining room with shorts and singlets many of them Heavily tattooed on arms legs and in a number of cases on the face.

This happened on both formal and casual nights.

A large number of them also constantly wore baseball caps at all times

There were a number of "Gangs" roaming the ship and to some people they would appear quite aggressive and frightening

Theres were the same people to ran through the church on the Isle of Pines without removing their hats while the priest was conducting communion.

When I looked at some of these "guests" and then at the immaculately groomed crew I knew who I would offer a job to if I was an employer

Food for thought

Best regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ

Hi Folks

Here is what we saw

A large number of young adult males say 18--30 in the dining room with shorts and singlets many of them Heavily tattooed on arms legs and in a number of cases on the face.

There were a number of "Gangs" roaming the ship and to some people they would appear quite aggressive and frightening

Theres were the same people to ran through the church on the Isle of Pines without removing their hats while the priest was conducting communion.

When I looked at some of these "guests" and then at the immaculately groomed crew I knew who I would offer a job to if I was an employer

Food for thought

Best regards

John

Says a lot for the demographic that RCI is starting to attract with its low prices. I have seem some truly awful groups on the short RCI cruises and not on Princess or Celebrity to the same extent. Pity that this was a longer cruise and still had the same type of passenger.

My hubby and i have decided to miss formal nights as much as i would love to do it there is no way in hell am i gonna get him to play along. For the other nights will he be ok to wear jeans and collared polo top with boots for dinner? He doesnt do shirts after many yrs of a job he didnt like and having to wear shirts.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi Folks

Here is what we saw

Food for thought

Best regards

John

This kinda stuff saddens me and for a person who is 6 sleeps away from a cruise I don't need to be saddened.

If the 'cruise lines' are lowering their standards to that level we shall be seriously monitoring these things because we DO make an effort for formal nights

But the first reports of 'gangs' carrying on is disturbing.

I go to sea to relax not to go to war.

I already did that!

How very sad. I noticed similar but not as bad behavour when on a short 2 nighter Sydney to Melbourne a few years ago. There seemed to be quite a few bucks/hens groups. After that experience I have been more aware of booking short cruises.

I wonder if the group you are describing were "schoolies". I know not all young people who have finished school and celebrating behave in this manner but sadly many do.

Was security non existent?

How very sad. I noticed similar but not as bad behavour when on a short 2 nighter Sydney to Melbourne a few years ago. There seemed to be quite a few bucks/hens groups. After that experience I have been more aware of booking short cruises.

I wonder if the group you are describing were "schoolies". I know not all young people who have finished school and celebrating behave in this manner but sadly many do.

Was security non existent?

No they were not schoolies , they seemed to be a mixture of older young men and younger (older teens)

Security did not have any issues as far as I was aware it was just that their appearance and their "pack" behavior could have appeared disturbing to people not used to it ..

The wearing of hats in the dining room and their rowdy behavior inside the church is just a sign of their lack of education and respect for others

The tattoos are beyond me I am afraid , perhaps the mark of being in the "Tribe"

The thing I cannot understand is why oh why the young women go along with it , many women are also are tattooed

Regards

john

Disturbing and sad, but what do we expect, when they turn a blind-eye on things.

Open the door a crack, and the gap will surely widen.

Its almost like they are to scared to say anything.

I agree mrs and mrs, but look at all the people who post against the strict Cunard dress code and whinge about that.

RCI has really gone down market from what I have seen - it is now not much better than P&O Aust and in some respects is probably even on a par.

RCI has really gone down market from what I have seen - it is now not much better than P&O Aust and in some respects is probably even on a par.

I think there's been good cross over for a while now. P&O has more upmarket and down market types and so do RCL.

Goes with the territory - the number of ships operating here over the season is the same on both lines; more actually out of Sydney for RCL.