Beverage Package Questions - Need Feedback

rzrbck1989

HI RCI Loyalists!

Diamond member here but never purchased a beverage package. Going on a cruise in January and seriously thinking about it. It's a 7 night cruise. Current cost is $44/day + 18% gratuity so total would be about $363. I hear it covers any drink up to $12 and if >$12 you just pay an extra $1 per drink.

I hear it covers any/all mixed drinks and frozen up to $12/drink, that seems great. It also covers wine and beer and smoothies and fresh juice and premium coffee.

Any feedback from anyone - good or bad? Love the idea of not worrying about constant tipping and receipts and worrying about how much I have spent.

Thanks to all! Doing the Jewel of the Seas in January. Love leaving out of San Juan.

HI RCI Loyalists!

Diamond member here but never purchased a beverage package. Going on a cruise in January and seriously thinking about it. It's a 7 night cruise. Current cost is $44/day + 18% gratuity so total would be about $363. I hear it covers any drink up to $12 and if >$12 you just pay an extra $1 per drink.

I hear it covers any/all mixed drinks and frozen up to $12/drink, that seems great. It also covers wine and beer and smoothies and fresh juice and premium coffee.

Any feedback from anyone - good or bad? Love the idea of not worrying about constant tipping and receipts and worrying about how much I have spent.

Thanks to all! Doing the Jewel of the Seas in January. Love leaving out of San Juan.

The package covers cocktails and glasses of wine up to $12. Any cocktail or glass of wine that costs more than $12 would cost you the difference plus 18%. I don't know where that $1 per drink came from.

The package covers cocktails and glasses of wine up to $12. Any cocktail or glass of wine that costs more than $12 would cost you the difference plus 18%. I don't know where that $1 per drink came from.

I seem to recall someone saying they generally tip $1/drink to ensure they keep getting great service....

I seem to recall someone saying they generally tip $1/drink to ensure they keep getting great service....

Makes sense, the OP must have confused the extra tip with the amount they would have to pay if they order a beverage with a price that exceeds the package limit.

I did an evaluation of this with an upcoming cruise over New Years on Liberty. What it boiled down to was my wife and I don't drink enough to make the package worthwhile. If we have 6 drinks a day (3 for her, 3 for me), and we carry on two bottles of wine, our cost just buying the drinks is about $100 less then the drink package. We estimated about $10 a drink, which is really the cheapest of options. So, for us the package doesn't work. But for others? It's all dependent on how much you drink, and whether you'll drink the house rotgut or need the brand name.

We are D+ and my husband always gets the drink package but we normally do longer cruises with more sea days. I see you are Diamond level so you have free drinks in the lounge or on your card, so factor that in. We always save money on what it would have cost for him to buy each drink, juice, coffee, and multiple of bottles of water a day but as I said, on a longer trip.

On a 7 day cruise I think you have to work out how many sea days, how long you will be ashore etc. If you plan on spending the whole day ashore in each port, you aren't onboard taking advantage of the package. If you aren't a big drinker, it might not be worth it.

I did an evaluation of this with an upcoming cruise over New Years on Liberty. What it boiled down to was my wife and I don't drink enough to make the package worthwhile. If we have 6 drinks a day (3 for her, 3 for me), and we carry on two bottles of wine, our cost just buying the drinks is about $100 less then the drink package. We estimated about $10 a drink, which is really the cheapest of options. So, for us the package doesn't work. But for others? It's all dependent on how much you drink, and whether you'll drink the house rotgut or need the brand name.

You'd be saving a lot more than $100 since you'd have to buy 2 drink packages. With 3 drinks each per day you'd be at least 2 drinks per person below the break even point. You'd be saving more like $400 by not buying the package.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I like it because I can relax and not worry about bill shock at the end of the holiday. I would drink 5 non alcoholic drinks a day (coffee, juice, still and mineral water) before I even factor in cocktails around the pool or a wine or 2 at dinner so for us its a no brainer. $15 - $20 is already accounted for before any alcohol.

Main thing is to relax and enjoy your holiday.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Forums mobile app

I love it! It's nice to be able to grab water to take off of the ship, and store in your room (for us, this alone saves us 1/4 the cost of the deluxe package). We also normally have 2 wines each for dinner, a couple at the show, and some at a bar after the show. Toss in some sea days at the pool where we literally have at least 1-2 drinks per hour, and it definitely pays for itself :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Really appreciate all the comments. The $1 reference was actually from an RCI rep over the phone when I inquired. Sounded funny to me too. She stated that that the package includes all drinks up to $12. For any single drink exceeding $12, they would simply charge you an extra $1 but not the difference. I asked her twice and she repeated the same thing.

Even with only one sea day, I think I would still average 4 drinks per day and maybe a coffee/smoothie as well. That would put it really close. Totally agree with the thought that the extra benefit is to not have to worry and just relax and just flash the card. LOL

Also like the idea of grabbing bottled water as you leave the ship on port days.

Thanks again everyone. 61 days and counting.

Really appreciate all the comments. The $1 reference was actually from an RCI rep over the phone when I inquired. Sounded funny to me too. She stated that that the package includes all drinks up to $12. For any single drink exceeding $12, they would simply charge you an extra $1 but not the difference. I asked her twice and she repeated the same thing. ...

That policy would sure make those $27 glasses of Caymus a much better deal!:D

On the RCCL website it is offering $44+gratuities if you buy now. My question is it still $44 if you buy the package at sea? The reason I ask is because I feel the first and last days are a wash when it comes to buying a drink package + any port days. In the past I have seen where you could buy a 3 or 5 day package once on the ship. This would make the most sense for us as we are both Diamonds and get our three drinks a day. If you think about the first day, by the time we get on the ship and get settled in after the muster drill, its is about time or is time to start getting our three diamonds drinks. Since we always bring sparkling wine to celebrate the sailway, the drink package is a waste on the first day.

What are your thoughts?

Leo

On the RCCL website it is offering $44+gratuities if you buy now. My question is it still $44 if you buy the package at sea? The reason I ask is because I feel the first and last days are a wash when it comes to buying a drink package + any port days. In the past I have seen where you could buy a 3 or 5 day package once on the ship. This would make the most sense for us as we are both Diamonds and get our three drinks a day. If you think about the first day, by the time we get on the ship and get settled in after the muster drill, its is about time or is time to start getting our three diamonds drinks. Since we always bring sparkling wine to celebrate the sailway, the drink package is a waste on the first day.

What are your thoughts?

Leo

Unless you are Diamond level or above in the Crown & Anchor Society, I've not seen any drink package deals onboard that are better than what's being offered pre-cruise.

My friends and I like the drink package because it takes the hassle out of buying drinks every time. Like other posters here, I drink at least one diet soda in the a.m., followed by a mimosa or two. 1 or 2 drinks at lunch, a few poolside (alternated with water to stay hydrated), 1 before dinner, 1 or 2 after dinner. I don't usually imbibe so much, but on a cruise, I'm not driving and I'm on vacation and I can take as many naps as I want. :rolleyes:

Even with only one sea day, I think I would still average 4 drinks per day and maybe a coffee/smoothie as well. That would put it really close. Totally agree with the thought that the extra benefit is to not have to worry and just relax and just flash the card. LOL

Also like the idea of grabbing bottled water as you leave the ship on port days.

As C&A Diamond member, as joadian mentioned in her post (#6) above, you have unlimited free alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks in the Diamond lounge or by flashing your card, for up to three free each at a bar between 5 to 8:30pm. This definitely should be considered in your cost for a drink package for your one sea day cruise. Are you planning on staying onboard while in port to take advantage of the drink package. IMO is would be much less expensive to just buy the few drinks wanted at other times.

Also Diamond members are able to get specialty coffees all day long and smoothies at breakfast time in the Diamond lounge. Bottled water and even cans of soda can also be had in the DL or at a bar between 5 and 8:30pm which can be taken back to your cabin to be kept cold in the cooler there.

If the convenience of just flashing your card for drinks all of the time everywhere is that important go for it as RCI's accountants will definitely appreciate that extra income which is almost all profit to the bottom line. :D

Edited by robtulipe

You also need to factor in what the price of your drink will be. Last week on Liberty a tangueray and tonic was $8.51, that included tip. So when you figure in my drinks from being diamond, there is no way that it is beneficial for me to get a package. I stop at the bar right outside the dining room and bring a couple drinks in with me in for dinner. RCI pushes the drink packages because they are a huge money maker for them. If I wanted to make a drink package worth it to me, I could. Having a few drinks at the pool or a few after dinner shots, then it's worth it, but I don't drink that much 7 days a week.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have purchased the drink package the last 2 cruises and our 2 upcoming. I like not having to watch how much we are purchasing. I also like that everything is included (except mini bar and room service). I can get a foo foo coffee early in the morning. Have a mimosa at breakfast. Sodas or water in the afternoon, etc. While the gratuity is included, I usually tip $1 per round so that it goes directly to the person serving me instead of in a pot for all. And I feel I get better service. We had a server on Brilliance that we tipped per round. A year and a half later she was on Independence. She remembered us and what we drank. Heck, I can't even remember her name and she goes through hundreds of people a week!

That policy would sure make those $27 glasses of Caymus a much better deal!:D

Just returned from the Allure of the Seas. My wife and I both purchased the beverage package. On one occasion, she requested a $14.00 glass of wine at the Schooner Bar, and was charged $1.00 + .18 cent gratuity. We benefited from the package since we had 4 sea days (Nassau was cancelled due to high winds) and 2 port days. The package included unlimited water which was a great benefit. Also the premium coffee at the promenade cafe. Starbucks coffee is not included in the package, however, the Seattle Best at the cafe was just as good. We are sailing on the Allure of the Seas again in January and will, once again, most likely purchase the beverage package. The January sailing includes Labadee, which will also accept the beverage package. Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!