Formal Night Menus

DougandEric

We are on the Star Princess 11-20 sailing to Hawaii. We normally book into Sabatini's or Crown Grill for formal nights (3 on this trip) but after not having experienced the main dining room in several years for formal nights, I thought I would like have at least one formal dinner in the main dining room. Can anyone give me an idea of what the menus are like on the different formal nights? I'm thinking escargot, beef wellington, etc. We could not care less about a baked Alaska parade so that isn't a factor.

Also, is it possible to see all the menus when we board - I'd like to determine which nights fit us for specialty restaurants when we think the MDR menu is ho-hum.

Thanks in advance!

Doug

If you go to MDR after you embark you can ask to see the formal night menus. Tell them why you want to see them and it shouldn't be a problem. They try very hard to be accommodating to all passengers.

The menus are also posted outside the MDR each day so you do have time to peruse it on any particular day and decide if you want to eat there or elsewhere.

Edited by Thrak

If there is more than one formal night on your cruise it is usually the last one that has lobster, pheasant, and beef wellington.

On the cruises I've been on the escargot have been on the "French" or "Continental" night, along with duck a la orange, and this isn't necessarily a formal night.

I don't know if this helps you at all, but here is a link to very recent Patters & menus from the Coral Princess 10-day partial canal cruise. You may be able to cross-reference the formal night dates on the Patters to the menus (dates are written on menus) and get an idea of what was served. Hope this can help!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51543555&posted=1#post51543555

I am just off of the Hawaii cruise on the Star. There were three formal nights. The last one came on the last sea day (the night before Ensenada). This night had Lobster, Pheasant, Beef Wellington and Escargot. I usually have the Lobster but this time I chose Beef Wellington. Not a good choice, I should have stuck to the Lobster.