Gem Review out of San Juan Nov 6 2016

Medtech2

I'm on the ship right now.

Also ate at Orozco's and also had mofongo. I liked it.

I asked about the luggage getting wet, as just like with your cruise, it was pouring rain when I boarded.

I told them about what happened on November 6.

The answer?

"Won't happen this time. Two weeks ago we were taken by surprise. This time we are ready."

LOL

As if afternoon rain in Puerto Rico is a surprise.

But our bags did arrive dry.

Burnt 3 fingers badly on a hot metal dish at Cagney's (my fault), so that wasn't good. But other than that, everything is good so far.

So glad they solved the wet luggage problem!

We got up in time to go to the Grand Pacific MDR so that DD could get her beloved salmon and Bagel. It was half a bagel piled high with a huge portion of salmon so she was quite happy. We did the morning trivia and wandered around until the M & G at 11:30 am in Cagney’s. I don’t remember if there was a sign up sheet but they did have nametags. As a group we did not go around the room and introduce ourselves like we had done in other M & G’s. The officers introduced themselves and each gave a short speech. Then the group started asking questions. A good portion of the questions involved the back to back cruisers as I take it there was some miscommunication the previous week. It was also noted that the assistant Cruisenext consultant had a bad cold and had passed it along to some of the group. I brought up the wet luggage as I wanted some explanation and it was here that I learned that the SJ port is not covered like other ports. Excuse after excuse was given by the HD, including that there were so many Puerto Ricans on this cruise. A heartfelt apology would have been better.

I also brought up the exclusion of alcoholic coffee drinks from the UBP. In February on board the Spirit alcoholic coffee drinks WERE included but on this ship they were not. The HD then proceeded with more excuses related to staffing. The gist was staffing has been cut so there are not enough bartenders or baristas at the coffee bar to keep up with demand. Funny that they could keep up on the Spirit. I also never saw a line at the coffee bar but again, this was just another fruitless conversation. We were told if we wanted an alcoholic coffee drink to get the alcohol at a bar and then add it to a cup of coffee ourselves. Really?

I know quite a few CC members were less than satisfied with the answers given to questions. This was the first M & G I have attended where so much time was taken up by questions but it gives you an inkling of the problems encountered by so many on this cruise that had not been encountered before.

Mommyto2girls had graciously offered to let DH, DD and I see the 3 BR Garden Villa. It was larger than my house, lol. I would say that if you had a large group of friends and family and split the cost it would be worth it to get. The private hot tub and large veranda were definitely nice and the secondary bedrooms were good sized. The only drawback for a large group and booking would be that the promo’s are only good for the first 2 guests. I personally feel the booking perks should be extended to all in the cabin.

We ate lunch in O’Sheehan’s and DD and I went in search of loungers by the pool. There were plenty of loungers but relatively few in the shade, which is what I prefer. Because of the deck lay out it was hard to see events like the Mr. Sexy Legs contest unless you were standing.

Dinner was at Cagney’s, and since DD had the UDP but really wanted to try the Beef Wellington in the MDR I did not order anything, intending to share an entrée with her in Cagney’s then head to the MDR to share a Beef Wellington. When our server found out I wasn’t ordering for that reason she actually went and got us a Beef Wellington entrée! This was over and above what we would have expected and we left an extra tip over the already charged 18%. DH’s Porterhouse was perfectly cooked and very tasty. There is no more Oreo Cheesecake, btw.

We had been invited to the VIP reception hosted by the Captain and I got a picture with him. I tried to engage him in conversation but there may have been a language barrier. He was not as talkative as other Captain’s I have spoken with.

We went to see the Jeopardy show in the Atrium and no one was signing up to play. DD and DH ended up playing but neither won. I was having a good time on the sidelines watching them and going crazy when there was a question I thought they should know but they didn’t answer. We also saw Bob, the magician, in Stardust, who was funny but seemed to do a lot of tricks involving his mouth, which was a bit weird. Then the nightly routine continued with DD and I going back to the cabin and DH going to the bar at O’Sheehan’s.

We got up early in order to have time for DD to get her salmon and bagel fix before heading out to meet our excursion. Before this cruise we had never booked outside excursions. Normally we wouldn’t know what we wanted to do and the prices of the ship’s excursions seemed comparable for two people. But with 3 people it didn’t make as much sense. Plus, I wanted DD to have a memorable experience. So when she mentioned she wanted to swim with turtles at some point I started doing research.

I ended up booking with Calabaza Sailing Cruises. $110 got you a 5 hour lunch cruise with only 12 passengers. We stopped at a spot where the turtles hang out to snorkel with them and then headed to a shipwreck. All day we were supplied with the most delicious rum punches I had ever tasted. The hostess/captain/cook Gina grated fresh nutmeg on each one. It really added to the flavor. We sailed to a beach area to have lunch. There was a variety of fresh dishes and everything was very good. Most everybody then took to the water to relax and drink some more. There was also beer, soda and water to drink. Fabian, one of the crew who also guided us in the water, had an underwater camera that he used to take pictures of everyone. Those photos were then shared on a OneDrive . We were also emailed a cookbook of Barbados recipes used on these cruises. I would definitely recommend this excursion and we all felt we got our money’s worth.

Back on board DD and DH went to Moderno while I went alone to the MDR because last time we tried it I did not like all that meat. I took the sparkling wine that we had gotten in the cabin to exchange it. I was given a choice of “white” or “red.” I probably should have just kept the sparkling because the white I received was swill, but I was bound and determined to drink it with my dinners. It lasted through 3 dinners. I did not have the UBP but I also don’t normally drink so I was fine with just this. The 2 other bottles we received with our Latitude dinners they let us choose from the wine list and did not limit it to “white” or “red” so we picked 2 that sounded interesting and took them home to give to our son who acted as our taxi to and from the airport. They enjoyed Moderno and said all the meats were moist but especially liked the grilled pineapple.

The show this night was Second City. The audience seemed to enjoy it and the performers seemed engaging but Second City has never been my cup of tea. Again DH went to O’Sheehan’s while we retired. So far we had not made it to one dance party, an activity I usually love. The difference was when DH and I cruise alone I usually take a nap in the afternoon while he does trivia. With DD along, I never got my much needed naps.

I have some of the pictures Fabian took here:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014097828053&sk=photos&collection_token=100014097828053%3A2305272732%3A69&set=a.137264190086841.1073741829.100014097828053&type=3&uploaded=101

These are great. We are doing a different turtle excursion and I'm so excited as I have a slight obsession with turtles. Thanks again for your review.

We have been on the Gem many times most recent last January. I agree about Lacuccina didn't even go back there in January also thought it was olive Garden like. We were talking to the head of the restaurants about it and she asked us to try it and if we didnt like it she would let us go to any one we wanted on our second Platinum voucher. Well needless to say she was right and we ended up cancelling other nights at Lebistro and Cagneys to go back to Lacuccina. Very disappointed with menu changes in Cagneys and Lebistro. Cagneys eliminated the best dessert on the ship (Oreo Cheesecake) and also the chicken drumettes appy and the ribs for an entree. Lebistro eliminated the lobster and also some appys. In all honesty the menus are now protein overload and unless you really like beef are a major disappointment. The best steak I had all two weeks (BTB) was the tomahawk chop in Cagneys which is a ribeye with the bone attached. Also as a side comment both cruises were loaded with extremely rude people and agree with the OP's post on the disaster on embarkation and we also had en equal disaster getting off. Not enough customs agents to screen you. We have sailed out of many ports and would never again go out of San Juan. This is probably why they have already decided not to go back there next year.

We have been on the Gem many times most recent last January. I agree about Lacuccina didn't even go back there in January also thought it was olive Garden like. We were talking to the head of the restaurants about it and she asked us to try it and if we didnt like it she would let us go to any one we wanted on our second Platinum voucher. Well needless to say she was right and we ended up cancelling other nights at Lebistro and Cagneys to go back to Lacuccina. Very disappointed with menu changes in Cagneys and Lebistro. Cagneys eliminated the best dessert on the ship (Oreo Cheesecake) and also the chicken drumettes appy and the ribs for an entree. Lebistro eliminated the lobster and also some appys. In all honesty the menus are now protein overload and unless you really like beef are a major disappointment. The best steak I had all two weeks (BTB) was the tomahawk chop in Cagneys which is a ribeye with the bone attached. Also as a side comment both cruises were loaded with extremely rude people and agree with the OP's post on the disaster on embarkation and we also had en equal disaster getting off. Not enough customs agents to screen you. We have sailed out of many ports and would never again go out of San Juan. This is probably why they have already decided not to go back there next year.

I'm on the Gem right now, in Barbados, waiting to sail away.

We went to Cagney's on Sunday an Le Bistro on Monday.

100% agree with your assessments of the menu changes.

The various good appetizers at Cagney's (drummettes, carpacio, sliders, split pea soup) are GONE, and replaced with inferior options. Also you can only have ONE on the dining package now.

Le Bistro killed the lobster (as you mentioned), as well as the very tasty lamb chops. I had two entrees -- the chicken Coq Au Vin which was good, and the veal medallions which were just okay.

Going to La Cucina for a change tonight, but I'm not optimistic.

Also agree that the ribeye chop is the best option at Cagney's.

We were told with the UDP one entree and anything else is unlimited.

That was on your trip last week and you were able to order multiple from one category like two apps per person or soup and salad? I can't recall if someone other than PPro mentioned this either this week or last.

My DH and I were on the Nov 6th sailing also. We had several minor problems which added together effected our perception of the trip. I think I had the same surly bartender as one of the previous posters..... He informed me they didn't have ice tea at the bar in O'Sheehans when I had gotten a glass about 2 hours earlier. Overall the level of service and friendliness was far less than what we had experienced on the Sky and the Dawn. Still waiting for a response from NCL regarding the complaint letter I wrote. We arrived at the port about 6:30 and breezed thru that part. Disembarkation went smoothly for us, too. We have found that when we use a porter at the port it seems to go much smoother.

I don't know if the pillows are new or old.

Regarding UDP:

Moderno: Unlimited

Teppanyaki: Not sure

Cagney's: One starter, one soup/salad, one main course, two sides, unlimited desserts

Le Bistro: Unlimited appetizers, one main course, unlimited sides, unlimited desserts

La Cucina: Unlimited appetizers, one main course plus small pasta OR no main course and large pasta, unlimited sides, unlimited desserts

Also note the trouble I had with only one person in the room using the SDP and the other person trying to save their SDP for later and paying a la carte: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51622659

A few other things I noticed:

- One of the ice machines at the buffet (there are two total) is almost always out of ice. When I complained about it to the manager in charge, I was given a lame excuse and told it would be better during the remainder of the cruise. It wasn't.

- We are smelling cigarette smoke in our aft balcony cabin. This includes when the door has been closed for hours. It must be traveling through the vents somehow. The front desk denied this was possible.

- Very little talk of Thanksgiving. I asked the specialties if they would have a Thanksgiving menu, and they said no, but a sign on the ship says otherwise. I'm just going to MDR it tonight to be safe.

- They can't get a poker game going onboard. I would play, but the 10% rake up to $25 is horrendous and unbeatable.

- I have not yet seen a laundry special, which surprises (and disappoints) me.

- Sucks that this ship has no glass elevator and a small atrium. Makes the ship seem less grand.

- This is the first ship I've been on where the public can access Deck 15 (there's a deck above the Sun Deck near the front)

- TONS of Puerto Ricans on this ship. I'm in the minority here being a white mainland American.

I don't know if the pillows are new or old.

Regarding UDP:

Moderno: Unlimited

Teppanyaki: Not sure

Cagney's: One starter, one soup/salad, one main course, two sides, unlimited desserts

Le Bistro: Unlimited appetizers, one main course, unlimited sides, unlimited desserts

La Cucina: Unlimited appetizers, one main course plus small pasta OR no main course and large pasta, unlimited sides, unlimited desserts

Also note the trouble I had with only one person in the room using the SDP and the other person trying to save their SDP for later and paying a la carte: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51622659

Totally different from what we were told on our sailing....2 starters, 1 entree, 2 sides....not that we left hungry, but it is VERY annoying that info is different depending on the week, or the person, or whatever

That was on your trip last week and you were able to order multiple from one category like two apps per person or soup and salad? I can't recall if someone other than PPro mentioned this either this week or last.

Yes but it appears the staff is not all on the same page. The reservations desk told us it is one entree and unlimited other selections. Most of the waiters did not say anything when we ordered additional appys but one or two did but backed off when we questioned it and told them what we were told. This has also been the past practice. We had no problem getting pretty much whatever we wanted (other than one entree) on the UDP. On the Platinum certificate free dinner it was one, one, and one plus a bottle of wine good at LeBistro or Laccucina

Edited by Whitnee1

Yes but it appears the staff is not all on the same page. The reservations desk told us it is one entree and unlimited other selections. Most of the waiters did not say anything when we ordered additional appys but one or two did but backed off when we questioned it and told them what we were told. This has also been the past practice. We had no problem getting pretty much whatever we wanted (other than one entree) on the UDP. On the Platinum certificate free dinner it was one, one, and one plus a bottle of wine good at LeBistro or Laccucina

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look at the T&Cs.

ETA - which do not mention any such limit other than only one main entree.

Edited by dexddd

Yes but it appears the staff is not all on the same page. The reservations desk told us it is one entree and unlimited other selections.

Most of the waiters did not say anything when we ordered additional appys but one or two did but backed off when we questioned it and told them what we were told. This has also been the past practice. We had no problem getting pretty much whatever we wanted (other than one entree) on the UDP. On the Platinum certificate free dinner it was one, one, and one plus a bottle of wine good at LeBistro or Laccucina

I have found, with the wait staff, it did not make a difference.

If they thought an extra dish made your day,

it would be added.... as long as it meant an extra tip.:p

Edited by $hip$hape

I have to apologize for taking so long to finish this review. I was immediately thrust back in to work, I had a parent in and out of a nursing home, we had a car accident and I came down with a nasty stomach bug. To tell you the truth neither DD nor I have been 100 % since this cruise. I don't know if we picked up something or what but this is the first time I have come home from a cruise with an upset system...

After a lot of research I originally wanted to book with Karambole Tours but her tours obviously book up very early. She then recommended Thomas Vincent of TaxiNordenVincent. I emailed him and set up for a tour of the North part of the island as I was extremely interested in seeing Mt. Pelee. We were to meet Thomas “outside the ship” at 8:45 am. Now, I am one of those people who are nervous about directions that are not exact and minute in detail so we disembarked early to try to find him. Directly outside the ship were dozens of companies with NCL excursion signs. Not seeing any non-NCL signs we headed down the dock and stopped at the Tourism tent. A nice woman there told us most taxi tours did indeed pick up there and so we waited. When 8:45 arrived and we still had not seen anything she used her phone to call Thomas and found he was still in traffic but now he knew exactly where we were. That was good as there had been enough interest in his tour that he had lined up a second van. Unfortunately there was some confusion as to the meeting place and only 2 people showed up for that van.

He told his driver to wait some more and we would meet up later and, from what I heard, if the other people did not show up we would move some of the people from our packed van into the other one. That is not what happened. It turned out he had the other driver cancel the tour and I am hoping arrange something for the other couple with another company. I felt bad that, not only did that couple have to miss this particular tour, but his other driver would not be working or paid that day. He and I had a good conversation as to how to clarify his instructions and hopefully later tours did not run into these problems. I just noticed on his website that he has expanded and clarified instructions on the North tour explanation to include the wearing of water shoes to see the Falls (as I did not see them as my shoes would have been ruined) and to wear a swimsuit under clothes for the beach stop. (We had suits on as I had emailed him prior about changing facilities but others on our tour did not). So it sounds like subsequent tours should have some kinks already worked out. Unfortunately it rained pretty much the whole day so we never did get a good view of Mt. Pelee. We stopped at the Balata church and then drove to the Falls. We did have a nice drive through the Rain Forest after the Falls but did not make the scheduled botanical garden stop. We toured the Depaz Rum Distillery and tasted a variety of rums. We ended up buying Punch Cacahuete or “Peanut Liquor”. It is simply great! I thought it would be weird and it does smell like green peanuts but it tastes like peanut butter and is great mixed with ice cream. We went to St. Pierre and ended up at a black sand beach and ordered food at a local beach shack. All through the tour Thomas gave us a pretty good background on the Island, the sights, unemployment, etc. Truthfully not the most polished presentation but by education he is an Engineer, not a history major. While I would not repeat this particular tour to the North I would recommend it if you go. I think the rain really dampened our experience, pardon the pun.

Dinner that night was at Cagney’s and then we watched the Weakest Link Game Show.

Here is a link to some Martinique pictures: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014097828053&sk=photos&collection_token=100014097828053%3A2305272732%3A69&set=a.144567439356516.1073741830.100014097828053&type=3&uploaded=102

We booked The Grand Tour of St. Kitts with Thenford Grey Tours. We ended up on a comfortable bus with Thenford’s brother, Sackville. He did an excellent job, is very well spoken, knowledgeable and has a great pride in his Island. My only complaint was that the windows of the bus were too short and did not afford a good view of the opposite side. On the route we were on most sights were on the right side, which was good for DD and not good for me. I basically just listened to the narrative with the idea that I would see the pictures later. Not the best circumstance. If you can score the front seat that would be the only spot where you could see all sights.

We did a driving tour around Basseterre and then drove to Romney Manor and Caribelle batik. Romney Manor had many beautiful plants and the Batik was interesting and pretty but expensive. We then drove to Brimstone Hill Fortress National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage site. We then stopped for a break at the Southeast Isthmus or Peninsula where you can see both the Atlantic and Caribbean on either side. There were some vendors here selling really inexpensive local beers. We ended at a beach that had a restaurant and nice bathrooms to change in, shaded and un-shaded loungers. Snorkeling was not good here but the water was pleasant. We saw our first mongoose. They were brought in years ago in a misguided attempt to control snakes. That is one of my pet peeves about people. Snakes are beneficial creatures and ecosystems develop a natural balance that can be ruined by the introduction of non-native species! (Okay, off soapbox now)

After the beach we opted to get off the bus at the shops near the dock and wandering around before re-boarding the ship. Dinner was at Le Bistro and we really enjoyed the Comedy Juggler Barry John.

Pictures from the tour are here: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014097828053&sk=photos&collection_token=100014097828053%3A2305272732%3A69&set=a.144584482688145.1073741831.100014097828053&type=3&uploaded=168

We got up in time to go to the Grand Pacific MDR so that DD could get her beloved salmon and Bagel. It was half a bagel piled high with a huge portion of salmon so she was quite happy. We did the morning trivia and wandered around until the M & G at 11:30 am in Cagney’s. I don’t remember if there was a sign up sheet but they did have nametags. As a group we did not go around the room and introduce ourselves like we had done in other M & G’s. The officers introduced themselves and each gave a short speech. Then the group started asking questions. A good portion of the questions involved the back to back cruisers as I take it there was some miscommunication the previous week. It was also noted that the assistant Cruisenext consultant had a bad cold and had passed it along to some of the group. I brought up the wet luggage as I wanted some explanation and it was here that I learned that the SJ port is not covered like other ports. Excuse after excuse was given by the HD, including that there were so many Puerto Ricans on this cruise. A heartfelt apology would have been better.

I also brought up the exclusion of alcoholic coffee drinks from the UBP. In February on board the Spirit alcoholic coffee drinks WERE included but on this ship they were not. The HD then proceeded with more excuses related to staffing. The gist was staffing has been cut so there are not enough bartenders or baristas at the coffee bar to keep up with demand. Funny that they could keep up on the Spirit. I also never saw a line at the coffee bar but again, this was just another fruitless conversation. We were told if we wanted an alcoholic coffee drink to get the alcohol at a bar and then add it to a cup of coffee ourselves. Really?

I know quite a few CC members were less than satisfied with the answers given to questions. This was the first M & G I have attended where so much time was taken up by questions but it gives you an inkling of the problems encountered by so many on this cruise that had not been encountered before.

Mommyto2girls had graciously offered to let DH, DD and I see the 3 BR Garden Villa. It was larger than my house, lol. I would say that if you had a large group of friends and family and split the cost it would be worth it to get. The private hot tub and large veranda were definitely nice and the secondary bedrooms were good sized. The only drawback for a large group and booking would be that the promo’s are only good for the first 2 guests. I personally feel the booking perks should be extended to all in the cabin.

We ate lunch in O’Sheehan’s and DD and I went in search of loungers by the pool. There were plenty of loungers but relatively few in the shade, which is what I prefer. Because of the deck lay out it was hard to see events like the Mr. Sexy Legs contest unless you were standing.

Dinner was at Cagney’s, and since DD had the UDP but really wanted to try the Beef Wellington in the MDR I did not order anything, intending to share an entrée with her in Cagney’s then head to the MDR to share a Beef Wellington. When our server found out I wasn’t ordering for that reason she actually went and got us a Beef Wellington entrée! This was over and above what we would have expected and we left an extra tip over the already charged 18%. DH’s Porterhouse was perfectly cooked and very tasty. There is no more Oreo Cheesecake, btw.

We had been invited to the VIP reception hosted by the Captain and I got a picture with him. I tried to engage him in conversation but there may have been a language barrier. He was not as talkative as other Captain’s I have spoken with.

We went to see the Jeopardy show in the Atrium and no one was signing up to play. DD and DH ended up playing but neither won. I was having a good time on the sidelines watching them and going crazy when there was a question I thought they should know but they didn’t answer. We also saw Bob, the magician, in Stardust, who was funny but seemed to do a lot of tricks involving his mouth, which was a bit weird. Then the nightly routine continued with DD and I going back to the cabin and DH going to the bar at O’Sheehan’s.

Obviously on the same cruise as I am the one with the Garden Villa.I have to respectfully disagree with a few things. The M&G was in Le Bistro not Cagneys. I was a but shocked that you were not at the door since you set up the M&G. There was a sign in sheet at the door and an NCL staff member, I have set up a few of these I always greeted people as they came in. This was my 17th NCL cruise and I thought the HD was extremely informative about the luggage and he did in fact apologize a number of times. He even stated that they washed and dried many clothes for people ours included. I thought most of the questions were very self serving from people on the previous weeks cruise. He also clearly stated that there were 400 locals onboard which is not unusual. I noticed your name tag which is how I knew who you were and it was my pleasure to extend the invite to the room since you had expressed a desire to see it. The GV is very large and we love it (this was our 17th Haven Cruise and 3rd Garden Villa) the perks extended are what they are. We clearly remember sailing with just some OBC so its not big deal. All in all a good cruise but I would not leave out of San Juan again.

Obviously on the same cruise as I am the one with the Garden Villa.I have to respectfully disagree with a few things. The M&G was in Le Bistro not Cagneys. I was a but shocked that you were not at the door since you set up the M&G. There was a sign in sheet at the door and an NCL staff member, I have set up a few of these I always greeted people as they came in. This was my 17th NCL cruise and I thought the HD was extremely informative about the luggage and he did in fact apologize a number of times. He even stated that they washed and dried many clothes for people ours included. I thought most of the questions were very self serving from people on the previous weeks cruise. He also clearly stated that there were 400 locals onboard which is not unusual. I noticed your name tag which is how I knew who you were and it was my pleasure to extend the invite to the room since you had expressed a desire to see it. The GV is very large and we love it (this was our 17th Haven Cruise and 3rd Garden Villa) the perks extended are what they are. We clearly remember sailing with just some OBC so its not big deal. All in all a good cruise but I would not leave out of San Juan again.

Sorry, I meant to say Le Bistro. I haven't been in the best shape since we got back. I didn't greet people at the door because Merci directed us to sit down. This was a totally different experience from my other M & G's because I have had much more contact with the Ship Coordinator beforehand and chatted with the CD before also so we had some sort of system in place ahead of time as to how we were going to proceed. They have all handed me the mike at first to welcome everyone and get the meeting started but this particular crew did things differently, and did not want me to handle the event. I have never had so many people asking questions like this either. We normally would chat and go around the room and introduce ourselves. As for the HD all week whenever we chatted he brought up that they did not expect so many Puerto Ricans to be on this cruise, even though it makes sense to me that a good portion of cruisers would be from within driving distance.

As far as the GV I really did appreciate you taking the time to show us. In this review I was trying to describe it and whether it would be within reach of cruisers who might think they can only cruise if they do non-suite rooms. I don't quite get the OBC reference. I mentioned the perks only because in the past years promos Suites were given all perks, not just one or two, and that could be a factor in people's budgets, and whether they felt the GV would be worthwhile or not.

Cruising out of San Juan is now crossed off my list of cruises I want to do. I did enjoy my time in OSJ, though.

Up until about 2 years ago all NCL gave out was on board credit OBC. The whole prepaid gratuities UBP and UDP are relative new. There was a time were the only perks were OBC to use so out didn't matter it went to every guest in the room. The new promos have changed NCL in my opinion to a less desirable cruise for us. Too much chaos in booking dinners, i understand why they did it but I liked it better in past years when you did not have to decide 3 months in advance where to eat. Having the Concierge book for us is nice and I am sure I am alone in the fact that I don't love the promos. Cruise fares were also much more reasonable the old way.