Cruise Docs for age 17 minor

Trishlo73

I'm freaking out. We are cruising in three weeks and my oldest son is 17, a senior in high school and he just informed me that he can't find his school ID.

Last time we cruised, he was 15 and just used his birth certificate. Carnival's website says minors that are 16/17/18 have to have photo ID.

Do they really require this? He doesn't have a drivers license or a passport. Are we screwed?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I'm freaking out. We are cruising in three weeks and my oldest son is 17, a senior in high school and he just informed me that he can't find his school ID.

Last time we cruised, he was 15 and just used his birth certificate. Carnival's website says minors that are 16/17/18 have to have photo ID.

Do they really require this? He doesn't have a drivers license or a passport. Are we screwed?

Yes, he needs government issued photo ID. Does he have a learners permit with photo? That would work. Is there a way for the school to re-issue his ID. Could you get a state ID card in the time remaining? There is time to apply for a passport with expedited processing, especially if you live near a passport facility. You aren't necessarily screwed but you'll have to move fast to get this mandatory ID.

Edited by sparks1093

Go to your local DMV and get a government ID; every state issues them that I am aware of.

PS - I have a teen son too...so I totally feel your pain. Mine has had a passport since he was 8 (he's now 18 and away at college) and guess who still has the passport? It's not like he's traveling anywhere without us or our blessing....he be broke! Ha!

Edited by A&Jfamily

He will also need photo ID to fly, he will need photo ID in ports and yes, they will refuse him boarding (while allowing the rest of the family on).

NC will issue him a non-driver ID through the DMV for $13. It isn't same day, but mailed to you like a license, so don't delay in getting over there.

https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/driver/id/

He'll need his SS card or other proof of US citizenship (like BC) as well as proof of NC residency (a parent may have to go with him since all bills are likely in your name and not his)

Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm kicking myself in the butt for not checking earlier! We're getting the docs sorted out and am taking our 15 and 17 year old to the DMV this afternoon. Hopefully we'll get the cards in time. We leave NC to drive to Miami on Dec 2nd

We're getting the docs sorted out and am taking our 15 and 17 year old to the DMV this afternoon. Hopefully we'll get the cards in time.
They days of the DMV mailing you the cards are long gone in many states. FL, for example, prints it for you on the spot.

They days of the DMV mailing you the cards are long gone in many states. FL, for example, prints it for you on the spot.

Yeah, we moved to NC from Fl. NC doesn't print them at the DMV, they mail them. My fiancé is taking the boys this afternoon. Hopefully we will get them in time. Their Mom( I'm stepmom), who is in Florida has his school ID, so Plan B is to get that from her on Dec 2nd.

I wish this was the way in Idaho! We went backwards-- they used to print on the spot but now mail them. :(

Edited by SuzanneH

Quite the opposite. In VA they used to print them here, but after a ring was busted up of DMV workers issuing DL to people that shouldn't have gotten them (I'll leave it at that), everything now goes through the mail. When you apply in person you get a letter stating as such before you leave but it doesn't have your picture on it.

It also may have something to do with the new enhanced DLs. So I think the shift has actually gone the opposite direction than you think.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Carnival website states that for minors under 18, a school ID works for photo ID along with birth certificate.

could you post that link?

We were told everyone 16 and older needs a state issued id

They used to print them here in NC at DMV but had to quit. Criminals messed it up for us. I think they may give you a copy of what it will look like and that should work.

Yeah, I called and they do give you a papercopy. Hopefully it will work

It would need to have a picture.

It does, its basically a paper version of the real thing. My fiancé is at the DMV waiting to be called. They have been there for over an hour already. Ya gotta love the DMV, lol

It does, its basically a paper version of the real thing. My fiancé is at the DMV waiting to be called. They have been there for over an hour already. Ya gotta love the DMV, lol

Ours in VA has no picture. Just a piece of paper stating a license has been applied for and it's good for like 30 days. Just went through this with my son. It might be different if it's a first time application vs a renewal.

Edited by firemanbobswife

He will also need photo ID to fly, he will need photo ID in ports and yes, they will refuse him boarding (while allowing the rest of the family on).

Not true.....

From the TSA website:

Identification

Adult passengers 18 and over must show valid identification at the airport checkpoint in order to travel.

Driver's licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)

U.S. passport

U.S. passport card

DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)

U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)

Permanent resident card

Border crossing card

DHS-designated enhanced driver's license

Airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)

Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID

HSPD-12 PIV card

Foreign government-issued passport

Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card

Transportation worker identification credential

Immigration and Naturalization Service Employment Authorization Card (I-766)

U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential

ID requirements at the checkpoint will change beginning Jan. 22, 2018. Learn about REAL ID, read the FAQ or factsheet.

A weapon permit is not an acceptable form of identification. A temporary driver's license is not an acceptable form of identification.

Children

TSA does not require children under 18 to provide identification when traveling with a companion within the United States. Contact the airline for questions regarding specific ID requirements for travelers under 18.

Take care,

Vinnie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ours in VA has no picture. Just a piece of paper stating a license has been applied for and it's good for like 30 days. Just went through this with my son. It might be different if it's a first time application vs a renewal.

In WI the paper has a picture and looks just like your DL. It is just as good as a DL for about a month, plenty of time for your DL to come in the mail.

Can his mother just stick his school ID in the mail? Or is it really not even valid anymore, since you now live in NC? Was it for a school in FL?

You would have it in 3 days.

Just a thought.......:D:D

Have a great cruise!!!

Edited by KPfromCT