Crusing in February.

BJH2016

Me and my husband are looking to book a cruise in February 2018 to celebrate our honeymoon/Valentine's Day/his birthday. I have cruised before but only in June and September the warm months. My question is, how dose one pack for the cold months, even though your destination is Florida and the Bahamas?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

During the cold months we dress on the outside in layers when travelling by air from/to Canada for our cruises so then we have windbreaker/rain jackets and sweatshirt/sweaters to wear if needed. These can be easily removed and stashed when in warmer temperature. Also they are less bulky to store onboard the ship than heavier bulkier winter wear.

If driving to our cruises, which we have done out of the north east ports, we will bring heavier winter clothing/boots etc. and leave them in our vehicle while cruising.

Rest of the packing is our summer, beach and dining clothes.

Me and my husband are looking to book a cruise in February 2018 to celebrate our honeymoon/Valentine's Day/his birthday. I have cruised before but only in June and September the warm months. My question is, how dose one pack for the cold months, even though your destination is Florida and the Bahamas?

February is one of our favorite months to cruise...It might be a little cool leaving port but warms up quickly as we head towards the Bahamas or Caribbean. The water temperatures once we get there is always warm and you don't have to worry about your cruise being interpreted by a hurricane.

Me and my husband are looking to book a cruise in February 2018 to celebrate our honeymoon/Valentine's Day/his birthday. I have cruised before but only in June and September the warm months. My question is, how does one pack for the cold months, even though your destination is Florida and the Bahamas?

Anything & everything! You are driving to the port, so you have no luggage restrictions. :D

(Just guessing that you mean Grandeur) ;)

Edited by Merion_Mom

What would happen if we got a winter storm before leaving cape liberty? Would the cruise be canceled or would it still sail?

Depends on the severity of the storm. It's fairly rare for a cruise to be cancelled.

What would happen if we got a winter storm before leaving cape liberty? Would the cruise be canceled or would it still sail?

It would sail unless for any reason it was unsafe to do so.

Actually for really bad storms like hurricanes it is better for the ship to sail and avoid the storm than to ride out a direct hit of the storm while in port. In this situation they could go to different ports on a changed itinerary.

The ship's return could be delayed by a really bad storm in the port so its departure would also be delayed but it is unlikely to be completely cancelled.

If we're dealing with just lots of snow that is unlikely to delay a sailing. High winds and the resulting very rough seas are the main concern.

Edited by robtulipe

You really need a plan A and a plan B for sailing the Anthem from Cape Liberty in winter. If plan A is to drive the morning of the cruise, then plan B needs to be to watch the weather closely and go the day before if snow is predicted. Newark Airport has a ton of hotels many of which can be booked last minute. You should always be able to get to Cape Liberty some way from EWR.

You really need a plan A and a plan B for sailing the Anthem from Cape Liberty in winter. If plan A is to drive the morning of the cruise, then plan B needs to be to watch the weather closely and go the day before if snow is predicted. Newark Airport has a ton of hotels many of which can be booked last minute. You should always be able to get to Cape Liberty some way from EWR.

Our travel plan to Cape Liberty or any of the NE ports includes that flexibility also.

We drive to the port area from SW Ontario the day prior to our cruise if the weather is forecasted to be decent for the trip and will leave a day or so earlier if really bad weather is forecasted. ;)

Depends on the severity of the storm. It's fairly rare for a cruise to be cancelled.

Do they ever get outright cancelled? That would leave them with no one one the ship for a full week. I doubt they'd do that, except in the most extreme circumstances.

If it was a bad winter storm, I'd guess being delayed a day or two wouldn't be impossible. They may have had to miss a full week for Superstorm Sandy perhaps for all I know, but I'd guess it would take that kind of major event for full cancellation to even be a possibility.