documentation for illnesses

dorothy09

We were first-time cruisers on the Thomson Celebration in September and both suffered from the norovirus on different days. We both received injections and were confined to the ship which meant we missed two of our five paid for excursions. Thomson refunded the cheapest but are disputing the other despite the Serbian doctor handing our tickets to reception.

My question is surely as we were given injections etc we should have received written and dated letters from the medical section which would have solved our problem but we got nothing. My partner was poorly for several weeks afterwards and needed doctor's treatment. How would I have proved our illnesses had I needed to claim on travel insurance which Thomson insist on with all bookings. Is this general practice? I would have thought medical procedures must surely be documented for that reason or is this just a way for Thomson to grab more of your money. We have been back six weeks and they still have to answer our query

We booked five Thomson excursions in our local Burgess Hill shop.

They refunded the cheapest trip we missed because of confinement to our cabin but not the other one when we were again confined to the ship saying it is under investigation. That has taken six weeks from our arrival back home. I think legally the ship must keep medical records so how long does it take to check these? Expect Thomson think we will roll over and forget it but no way!

I don't know what policies Thompson has in place with that and would hope that they are not simply ignoring the issue. The reason I asked if the excursions were ship-based is that would be the only ones they would have any connection to or possible policy for regarding refunds. Good luck with your efforts.

As I understand it excursions booked on board are repaid immediately at reception when illness intervenes, but when you book them in a Thomson shop an independent company is involved. Seems crazy to me, surely Thomson must be responsible for everything they sell under their banner. They charge you £25 for booking a cruise etc in their shop and yet try to wriggle out of their responsibilities when shipborne illness strikes. Now they are planning to get rid of brochures, do they really deserve our business?

I would also ask on the Thomson forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=497

When DH was ill on our cruise (not Thomson) the ship's doctor provided a report for our insurance claim

We had to cancel private tours & I sent in all the forms to the insurance company & all we refunded

Usually the ship's excursions are refunded right away if you are ill & they have been notified you are confined to your cabin