vaccinations

i'll have alf

Hi All, The wife and I have just retired, so to celebrate we are going on our very first Caribbean Xmas cruise on the Aurora. Even though we have cruised many times with P & O (we are Mediterranean tier), never to the Caribbean, we have been told, warned that we need all sorts of vaccinations for this trip, I have rubbished it but the wife has got jittery. Any advise from all you old hands.

Book an appointment with the practice nurse at your GP surgery. Give them your itinery and they will advise. They have all the up to date information. No one on here knows your medical history so cannot give you advice.

Brian

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I agree with Brian. You won't need special ones like Yellow fever but it's best to check the normal ones are up to date - typhoid, polio, tetanus etc.

Edited by Host Sharon

We went on a family holiday to St. Lucia in 2008 and when we went to our GP we were told we wouldn't need anything special and the difference antimalarial pills would be negligible bearing in mind all the side effects and the very low risk on the island. I think you could get away without anything extra but obviously you should consult your GP.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi All' date=' The wife and I have just retired, so to celebrate we are going on our very first Caribbean Xmas cruise on the Aurora. Even though we have cruised many times with P & O (we are Mediterranean tier), never to the Caribbean, we have been told, warned that we need all sorts of vaccinations for this trip, I have rubbished it but the wife has got jittery. Any advise from all you old hands.[/quote']

been to Caribbean many times ,never needed any jabs as others have said speak to your practice nurse.

tell the wife not to worry the Caribbean is a wonderfull place go & enjoy it....

As Brian says ask the expert. We have been to the Caribbean many times and never needed vaccinations, however things change. The other thing is that you are unlikely to be off the ship during periods when Mossies are active unless you have an overnight stay and you go out, then Deet will usually do the trick.

Depending on your itinerary there a slight chance you would need to take some anti malaria medication. Your pharmacist will be able to advise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You need to speak to your practice nurse who can advise you appropriately. The are programs which check exact requirements as they do change.

For cruises without overnight stays it is unlikely you will need malaria prophylaxis BUT up to date guidance is needed off you PN.

It is highly unlikely the is any MUST haves for your trip but just suggestions.