Alaska aboard Millennium

Looking for Sun

Looking forward to our first cruise to Alaska next June. We have sailed multiple times to the Caribbean, but this will be totally different. No sunny days, no basking in the warm waters, no long dips in the pool. But I understand the scenery is beautiful. So, the trade off seems ok.

Looking forward to our first cruise to Alaska next June. We have sailed multiple times to the Caribbean, but this will be totally different. No sunny days, no basking in the warm waters, no long dips in the pool. But I understand the scenery is beautiful. So, the trade off seems ok.

You'll really enjoy it. Just make sure you pack clothes you can layer and that you have something waterproof as well. For the glacier day, you want to be outside to hear the cracking of the ice breaking off, so pack some gloves and a scarf or hooded parka for that. As has been said, you could get some warm weather without rain depending on when you are going. We have been in May and September and we lucked it out with very little rain.

We've been to Alaska twice on the Milennium, once in mid-May and once in early September. We had some pretty nice days on each cruise. This last May, we were docked at Ketchikan and were sitting out at the Oceanview Bar having frozen drinks and enjoying beautiful sunshine and temps of close to 80 degrees.

You might surprise yourself!

If you are on the June 2nd southbound cruise, come join the roll call - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2355254

Alaska can surprise you! We had pretty warm weather there our first cruise and I have family in Anchorage and get daily weather updates... Plan on layers. Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway often get some rain every day, northern rain forest, so a light rain gear layer is also a good idea.

We were on the Millie last May. Since I love the S class ships and have been to Alaska before, I didn't enjoy it as much as the first time, but still it was fun. I think you will really enjoy it the first time, as everything will be new and exciting...

Since you have done the Caribbean, it will certainly be a cool change. Next, try Europe...it is so fascinating and full of history. If you can also stay extra days, either before or after, it is really worthwhile...so special after Alaska and Caribbean...from my experience...

Enjoy Alaska[emoji844]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the info. Our cruise is June 16. We did an Viking cruise two years ago up the Danube. Relaxing!

Here we are, trading places. We have sailed Millennium in Alaska twice and next year we are doing our first river cruise. We have chosen the Danube also.

• 2 weeks later...

We did Alaska on the Millennium last July, some days were cool with some rain, other days were nice but the scenery was just unbelievable. It will be chilly around the glaciers so dress for it. They got us within 1/2 mile of the Hubbard Glacier and it was just amazing. We could see and hear the calving and the creaking of the ice.

I never put the cruise tags on our bags until we are ready to go to the ship. Yes, they can get ripped off so I always put two tags on each bag.

Just a question...we are reconsidering our purchase of the premium beverage package on the Millennium in June. We were given the basic beverage package as a perk. Is it possible to cancel the premium package and just use the basic beverage package?

No need to cancel the basic beverage package we just upgraded to the premium package through our travel agent and paid the difference.

You will love Alaska it is beautiful and the weather can be really cold or very warm but it just depends what time of year.