Cruise Wifi vs Cell Phone roaming plan

Kyndal93

Has anyone had any experience with the cruise data plan thru AT&T or other cell phone service provider? I'm trying to figure out which one makes more sense. I'm just using it text my friends and family on the boat and back at home.

It's like $60 for Cruise Talk and Text Package from AT&T or $84 for Voom & Stream?

I'm not sure the reliability or speed of ether option.

Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One thing to keep in mind is that the cruise internet package is unlimited, whereas the AT&T plan gives you a specific amount of data. If you exceed that data limit, you will pay more. This can happen if you leave cellular data on, and your apps consume background data.

Another option is to pay by the text. At&T charges $0.50 per text sent, and received texts are free. This requires no plan, but you would be limited to simple texts, no photo, no video, no group texts.

Has anyone had any experience with the cruise data plan thru AT&T or other cell phone service provider? I'm trying to figure out which one makes more sense. I'm just using it text my friends and family on the boat and back at home.

It's like $60 for Cruise Talk and Text Package from AT&T or $84 for Voom & Stream?

I'm not sure the reliability or speed of ether option.

Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd rather pay for wifi and have full internet access vs. just being able to call and text. With your iphone on at&t you can make phone calls over the wifi, use iMessage, or use an app like Skype to call or text. Wifi on RC ships these days is pretty reliable. Speed can vary somewhat for streaming, etc but you won't have any problem texting or making voice calls.

At&t's Talk & Text usually does not include any data or very little (found that out visiting Barcelona in the past)...

I have used the Surf & Stream VOOM on past three cruises and was able to stream video on Netflix, and Amazon Prime...

Dennis & Sue

In Canada, with Rogers, it's only $5 a day to use your own data plan plus calling and texting are free. My last cruise, I just used my own plan (I have 9G of data) unless local wifi was available.

That's a heck of a good deal!

In Canada, with Rogers, it's only $5 a day to use your own data plan plus calling and texting are free. My last cruise, I just used my own plan (I have 9G of data) unless local wifi was available.

Wow I wish we had that in the US. So they have a deal with Cellular at Sea I guess?

That worked on the ship, through their cellular connection? Amazing...

If you have a more modern smartphone, iPhone, Galaxy then the ships wifi is all you need (while on board) The new phones have the ability to make and recieve calls using the WiFi calling setting. When you connect to a WiFi network you can disable the cellular network and still make and get calls. Ans there are many apps out there that can send messages. And like someone mentioned the wifi plans on the ship are unlimited

We just returned from the Allure and all I used was the WiFi (it was free as we were in a suite). It worked great! I turned off Cellular and turned on WiFi calling. I was able to do everything I could do at home on my IPhone, test, FaceTime, even stream Sirius.

If all you want to do is text, it costs $0.50 for each sent text with ATT if you just pay the per use charges and don't have a plan. Incoming texts are free. If you only need to send a few texts per day, just paying the per use charges is probably the cheapest option.