Explorer of the Seas - Review - South Pacific - Nov

Boarding Day:

Caught train to Wynyard Station and then changed trains to Circular Quay stations. Both stations have lifts so easy peasy with heavy luggage. Short flat walk from Circular Quay station to OPT.

Boarding time for my deck was between 11-12noon. Gave luggage to RCI porters before entering OPT terminal. Guided upstairs. Lengthy queue for boarding passes etc. Customs were quick though. After customs, went thru security where my Pandora bangle set off the security alarm.

The boarding photo was optional this time and easy to skip. Last time I was on Voyager, you had no option but to have your photo taken as it was at the entrance to the ship. This time it was along the outside "corridor" and do not impact on boarding.

Went straight to Windjammer for lunch. Lengthy queue but moved quickly. Hand gel was heavily promoted at the entrance to the Windjammer and didnt see any passenger skip it during the cruise.

Had no issue getting a table. About 1pm, they announced that cabins on my deck were available and by 2pm, all cabins were available.

Cabin:

I have cruised twice before, first time was in an inside. Second time was in a balcony. I booked this cruise fairly late so my options were limited - inside, inside with virtual balcony or junior suite.

I booked a Virtual Balcony and I have to say I loved this concept. The vision from the virtual balcony was crystal clear, it gave light to the room during the day and it was great to wake up and see what the weather was and what the seas were doing.

I would not hesitate to book a virtual balcony again.

Bed was super comfy.

Mini bar was empty. No snacks or alcoholic drinks in cabin. The only thing stocked was 2 bottles of Evian water on the counter.

No tea or coffee at all in cabin. Tea equip. could be supplied by your room steward on request. Coffee had to be ordered from room service.

My room steward was excellent.

Muster Drill was a 5.15pm. Our muster location was the Sapphire Dining Room. I thought this was excellent as everyone could see the life jacket demontration and hear all the info clearly. Previous muster drills have been on the outside decks which have been crowed and made things difficult to see/hear.

Sailaway was at 6.45pm approx. on pool deck. Music and dancing. Glorious sunset.

Most people went to Main Dining Room or Speciality Restaurants for dinner.

I booked too late to get My Time Dining and my assigned dining time was 8.30pm which was too late for me. So, I mostly ate at the Windjammer Buffet.

As expected, dinner at the Windjammer Buffet was very quiet on boarding night and there were plenty of tables. Food theme was mexican.

Day 2 - Sea Day

9am brekky in the Windjammer. Very busy but I had no probs finding a table.

Invite in cabin for Meet & Mingle at 10.30am in Dizzys. Well attended although everyone was seated which makes it difficult to mingle. The RCI staff member who ran the raffle did a great job and made it alot of fun. Midway thru raffle, we were interrupted by a rather lengthy spiel on the speakers from the Cruise Director. It went on and on...raised quite a few chuckles. Captain and Hotel Director put in an attendance and welcomed us all aboard. It lasted til about 11.45pm. There were nibbles and water (as well as the RCI raffle items) supplied by RCI.

It seemed half the attendees were from cruise critic and the other have were from a FB group.

Immediately after the meet & mingle, I went to the Solo cruisers lunch in the Sapphire Dining Room at 11.50am. This was my first solo cruise. Surprised that the Solo cruiser's lunch was hosted by RCI. The RCI staff member who hosted the lunch was lovely but very quiet imo. Everyone else was very friendly and chatty and it was an enoyable hour's lunch.

The honeymooners meet and greet lunch was on at the same time as ours and there were quite a few of them.

Afternoon was spent relaxing on the pool deck with music provided by "Men of Culture" reggae band. I thought they were very good.

RCI now provide young children with floatation vests free of charge on the pool deck and supervision of children is heavily promoted on the big screen by cartoon visuals throughout the day. There are also 2 RCI staff in attendance at all times during the day whose sole job is to keep watch on the main pools.

Tonight's Dinner was formal.

$100.00 OBC for our cancelled port visit to Lifou showed up on the onboard account today. I had opted not to pre-pay gratuities, so they were charged $13.50 per day to my onboard account.

Day 3 - another day at sea and the sea was again flat as a tack.

Decided this morning to do laps of the running track. Walk one side. Run on the other. I did the suggested 9 laps for 1 mile. Nice way to start the day.

Windjammer brekky at 8.30am. No probs finding a table. Happy to find the vegemite today (which I couldnt find yesterday).

Spent morning in Adult Solarium. No probs getting a deckchair. Need your seapass card to get a RCI towel and your seapass card is checked again when you return the towel. $25 fee for non-returned towels.

There is supposedly a 20min policy on leaving unattended towels on deck chairs. This is definately not enforced by staff. On several occasions I had empty chairs next to me with towels on them for hours....in both the solarium and the pool deck.

Buffet provided on the pool deck which was popular. I went to the Windjammer for lunch and had no probs getting a table.

Returned to the Solarium again in the afternoon because I enjoyed relaxing in the adult pool so much.

Not sure why RCI decided to show "The Shallows" on the Big Screen (Shark Attack movie) when we were going to the South Pacific to swim and snorkel...thought it was best to avoid watching that one:)

Headline show at 7pm & 9pm. Leo Ward Magician. Cant remember whether he was good or not but I think I enjoyed it.

70s Disco Inferno Street Party on the Promenade at 10.15pm.

Day 4 - another sunny day and seas lovely and calm. Today, we were supposed to be at Lifou but it was another sea day due to itinerary change which we were notified of before the cruise departed.

Windjammer for brekky and lunch. Staff out the front ensuring everyone used the hand gel in a very friendly, non-forceful way which everyone complied with.

At breakfast, I was lucky enough to get a window seat for a first time. Then I saw a lady who was struggling to get into her chair by herself as her husband had gone off to get their breakfast. After I got up and helped her, I realised I had left my bag in my cabin. I use my bag to mind my table when I get a cup of tea. I didnt want to give up my window table so I had a brainwave and asked the lady who I had helped if she would mind if I borrowed her walking stick for a second to reserve my table. So problem solved and it worked a treat.

This afternoon, Leo Ward, the magician from last night was a doing another show in the Main Theatre at 1pm. "Leo Ward & His Ten Assistants"-meet the man behind the magic. Basically, it was just him and a screen showing him some magic tricks, a bit of audience participation and him doing ALOT of talking about himself.

Tonight's shows were at 7pm & 9pm The RCI Orchestra & singers & dancers in Fast Forward - a homage to the 70s & 80s. I gave this a miss.

I watched "Now you see me 2" on the big screen instead. Thankfully, it was a warm night so it was pleasant to watch it on the pool deck in the open. Having seen the first movie, I enjoyed the sequel.

The Quest (adult game show) was on in Studio B at 10.30pm.

Day 5 - Vila, Vanuatu.

Lovely sunny day and humid.

Up early, so went up to the top deck to watch the sail in to Vila which was quite stunning. Got some great photos.

From the ship, we could see there were tonnes of markets set up on the dock.Tonnes of them.

Got off the ship earlish, and walked thru the markets, every single one was the same as the next. Seriously, with the exception of about 2 stalls, every one sold the same magnets, caps, jewellery, Vanuatu beach bags....

Then you had the Vila taxi drivers walking thru the markets touting for business. Thankfully, I knew this in advance so after perusing the stalls, I made a hasty retreat to the ship.

I headed up to the pool deck and from 9am to 10am I had the main pool all to myself. It was bliss. I just did laps of the pool under the watchful eye of the "lifeguard" who must have been bored out of his mind! Then a few families arrived so I relaxed on the chairs facing the windows and watched all the watersports outside. The jetski tours like alot of fun!

At 12.15pm, it was time to join my RCI tour which was leaving from the dock. When you disembark the ship at Vila, you head left if you are doing an independent tour or head right if you have a tour booked with RCI.

At midday, it was quite hot and humid on the dock, and RCI had only provided one shaded canopy for the waiting area....

Eventually, our tour was called. I had booked the Coral Cove sail & snorkelling adventure.

Not sure why RCI decided to show "The Shallows" on the Big Screen (Shark Attack movie) when we were going to the South Pacific to swim and snorkel...thought it was best to avoid watching that one:)

Headline show at 7pm & 9pm. Leo Ward Magician. Cant remember whether he was good or not but I think I enjoyed it.

I suppose they are not thinking about the film content, still it is better than the Titanic.;)

I would suggest he was neither or you would have remembered.:p