Trip insurance for daughter on kidney transplant list

Nancy717

I have been researching, but have not found anything to address this specific question.

We booked a cruise while on board ,Celebrity last Feb (2016) , for March 2017 We did not take any insurance at the time. Please no judgement

Since that time my youngest daughter , she is 25 has developed ESRD ( end stage renal disease ) and is on the UNOS transplant list.

The final payment is due in a few weeks.....we do not know when she will get the call, of course we can cancel, but would like to go,if we can.

Does anyone have any experience with an insurance that would cover this situation ?

Thanks

I have been researching, but have not found anything to address this specific question.

We booked a cruise while on board ,Celebrity last Feb (2016) , for March 2017 We did not take any insurance at the time. Please no judgement

Since that time my youngest daughter , she is 25 has developed ESRD ( end stage renal disease ) and is on the UNOS transplant list.

The final payment is due in a few weeks.....we do not know when she will get the call, of course we can cancel, but would like to go,if we can.

Does anyone have any experience with an insurance that would cover this situation ?

Thanks

Why don't you ask Steve, at

http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

He's the go-to guy for specific info, because if he doesn't know the answer, he'll check directly with the various insurers to find one that works, if possible.

Obviously (as you now know, I hope) you should have taken out the insurance within the several days (10-21 depending upon insurer) of first payment, to make sure all pre-existing conditions are covered.

This assumes the travelers are "fit to travel" the day the insurance is started.

This situation is too "iffy" for us civilians to give an answer (and you shouldn't rely upon anonymous internet postings for something this important).

Not only is the possible surgery a concern, but your daughter's medical/travel condition now.

Ask Steve about CSA coverage.

That *might* be one way to go.

Good luck!

And Good luck with the surgery when it happens!

Interesting issue. Our first question would be what does your DD's Nephrolosist say about taking a cruise. Is there a concern about the high sodium content found in institutional food such as served on cruise ships? And if were my DD, we would be very concerned about not being within a few hours of the transplant center...in case a match were found. Regarding insurance, you would have to carefully read the language associated with pre-existing conditions. Also keep in mind that cruise ships do not routinely carry dialysis machines (if that became an issue).

Hank

My DD is not going on the cruise....I am concerned if her surgery is scheduled between final payment and sailing date.

Ah.... this is actually a much better situation for you to be in with respect to travel insurance than if your daughter had been planning to travel with you.

But PLEASE do call Steve (or one of his associates) ASAP.

You've still got the same problem about not getting the insurance started within those critical 10-21 days after first payment.

However, CSA is among the insurers who do cover pre-existing conditions if insurance is started WITHIN 24 HOURS of final payment (which is defined very specifically for obvious reasons).

Because you haven't made that final payment yet, you are probably okay.

BUT CHECK WITH STEVE (or at least with some other insurance professional).

The really difficult situation sometimes raised here is when someone has already made the final payment, and is much closer to departure, etc.

There is typically not much that can be done then IF pre-existing condition coverage is desired.

Note: Often, that "pre-existing condition" issue is for the travelers, not family members, so that is certainly promising.

What would absolutely NOT be "okay" in terms of now getting insurance is if you already had a date for the transplant surgery and knew it would interfere. (That's like waiting for a house to catch on fire, and then trying to get insurance, etc. :( )

My guess is that you will be able to get coverage, but it is only that - my guess.

Good luck, and please report back, so we all can learn something also.

From Csa's Custom plan's covered reasons for cancellation:

"18. Receiving official notification of an organ match

available for immediate transplant, provided the

transplant is considered medically necessary, the

notification is received while coverage is in effect,

and in the written opinion of the Physician the

transplant surgery and/or recovery is so disabling as

to prevent you from taking the Trip;"

So if the insured is the one receiving the transplant you'd be covered. If not, I kind of doubt it. Call CSA directly to see where you stand. Better yet send them an email so you get a written response. I would not rely on the opinion of anyone other than someeon from CSA irself.

From Csa's Custom plan's covered reasons for cancellation:

"18. Receiving official notification of an organ match

available for immediate transplant, provided the

transplant is considered medically necessary, the

notification is received while coverage is in effect,

and in the written opinion of the Physician the

transplant surgery and/or recovery is so disabling as

to prevent you from taking the Trip;"

So if the insured is the one receiving the transplant you'd be covered. If not, I kind of doubt it. Call CSA directly to see where you stand. Better yet send them an email so you get a written response. I would not rely on the opinion of anyone other than someeon from CSA irself.

Again suggest contacting Steve.

He can check with *several* insurers he's previously vetted (those are the only ones whose policies he sells), and find the best fit policy, including best price IF there is more than one suitable coverage.

(And help you compare the precise terms/differences in that case.)

Once you've found a suitable insurer/policy, then by all means, if you wish, contact the insurer directly also.

But you *should* be able to SEE THE PRINTED TERMS that would cover you, and NOT need to rely upon a telephone call with a phone rep at any insurer.

(It might not do much good later to need to say, "But the rep I spoke with at your company SAID it would be covered....!")

And importantly, for some policies/insurers, the "pre-existing condition" concerns are different, and much less onerous, for family members who are NOT traveling, vs. the rules for the travelers.

• 1 month later...

I did not see your thread and just started one asking a similar question. I am more concerned about not being able to cruise due to the fact that my parents are elderly and not in good health.

I know that there is such a thing as cancel for any reason coverage which should work for you. I don't know if these medical policies would cover that.

Edited by molly361

I did not see your thread and just started one asking a similar question. I am more concerned about not being able to cruise due to the fact that my parents are elderly and not in good health.

I know that there is such a thing as cancel for any reason coverage which should work for you. I don't know if these medical policies would cover that.

Molly, Sounds like you certainly need a decent Trip Insurance Policy.....not a Travel Medical Policy. You have lots of options for cancellation policies and should take a little time to look at the various options. Besides the typical policies sold by the cruise lines you could certainly call Steve (see above) or do some of your own comparison on sites such as Squaremouth.com and insuremytrip.com. Its usually wise to buy most cancellation policies around the same time you book the cruise since that is often a requirement to cover pre existing conditions.

Hank