No upsell calls, no emails to bid, never any negotiation

gmkgks

So what is wrong with us? We cruise on NCL twice a year, typically one long and one weekend, although this year it was one one week and one two week. Most of the time we book through NCL but some of the time we book with a TA. Sometimes we book a year or two in advance, sometimes only a month or two in advance. We've never received a call for an upsell. We've never received an offer to bid on a better cabin. We've called numerous times and never had any option to negotiate a better price. We are fine in the cabin we are in, I'm not complaining as much as really curious as to why we are NEVER part of the upsell process. Any ideas?

You may never get an upsell call. But if you want to upsell, wait till you are about two weeks out. Call and see if you can get one. If they say none are available call again in a few days. If you tell them what you want, as in a Haven, they usually will give you a quote. We always got one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what is wrong with us? We cruise on NCL twice a year, typically one long and one weekend, although this year it was one one week and one two week. Most of the time we book through NCL but some of the time we book with a TA. Sometimes we book a year or two in advance, sometimes only a month or two in advance. We've never received a call for an upsell. We've never received an offer to bid on a better cabin. We've called numerous times and never had any option to negotiate a better price. We are fine in the cabin we are in, I'm not complaining as much as really curious as to why we are NEVER part of the upsell process. Any ideas?

Probably your itinerary is popular and/or sail date is peak season. But don't lose hope.

Bidding on upgrades are only offered on selected ships. This only started a few months ago.

On other ships, it is up to you to initiate a request for an upsell. Upsells are different that upgrades. Upgrades, you will get a quote for the difference in price. Upsells are usually done within 2 weeks of sailing. And the focus of the upsell group is to fill the Havens/Suites ($750-$2500 pp).

Bidding on upgrades are only offered on selected ships. This only started a few months ago.

On other ships, it is up to you to initiate a request for an upsell. Upsells are different that upgrades. Upgrades, you will get a quote for the difference in price. Upsells are usually done within 2 weeks of sailing. And the focus of the upsell group is to fill the Havens/Suites ($750-$2500 pp).

As I mentioned we have tried to call for an upswell- sometimes months ahead, sometimes in the last week or two before the sailing. For our upcoming cruise I called two weeks out and wanted to upgrade to the Haven. I was told that it works be $6,000 for the four of us to upgrade from and inside to an outside and that there were no options on for the Haven. That cruise is the first week of December which is typically not peak season.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think my husband believed me because he called to see what it would cost to upgrade. He was told that on the Escape all upgrades are done via an email that is sent out to everyone. He said we never got an email and the woman on the phone told him he was wrong.

Again, we are fine with our cabin. I just think the process is bizarre.

Third update- my husband got ticked at the attitude of the person he talked to on the phone and so he called back. (3rd call from us this morning). He got a Balcony Guarantee for $400. Nervous about a balcony with little kids and nervous about not knowing our exact room because I'm really picky about that, but he wanted to try it out.

So I think the moral of the story is that NCL reservations/upsell is a mess, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, and it all depends on who you get on the phone. All of the other cruises we'd call and get an answer and that would be it. I think it's completely unproductive to have a system that encourages people to make multiple calls but it is what it is.

I don't think my husband believed me because he called to see what it would cost to upgrade. He was told that on the Escape all upgrades are done via an email that is sent out to everyone. He said we never got an email and the woman on the phone told him he was wrong.

Again, we are fine with our cabin. I just think the process is bizarre.

Hi, could you tell me if you booked through a TA or NCL?

We were offered an upsell on our cruise last May, it was the only cruise out of thirteen that we were offered one. The cruise was far from being sold out, I was able to upsell from a balcony to a Deluxe Owners Suite for $500 per person ($1000 total).

I called for our cruise this past October, but there wasn't anything available.

I've gone or 15 or 16 cruises and never received a call until about the 9th. Then I had an aft wrap-around balcony and there wasn't a chance I was giving that up! I've gone on three NCL cruises and on the last one I receive an email offering an upsell to the Haven. I was in a balcony and it was $300 pp but I was sailing solo so it was really $600. I turned it down.

Sometimes you're contacted and more often you're not. Anyway that's been my experience. You can always call and see if they can do anything. Sometimes it's a good deal and sometimes it's not worth it to you.

Why do you need to rely on others to call you? Watch for last minute discount and upgrade your cabin at a fraction of the cost.

Only time I ever tried to upgrade when I saw balconies selling for less than I paid for an inside they wanted me to pay the difference between what they cost on the date I originally booked, not at the lower price.

We have been on many cruises (platinum) and have never received a call or email. We are leaving on the Breakaway this weekend for a 2 week cruise. We called the upsell department and was able to upgrade our inside to a balcony.

That is good I hope you didn't have to pay much either this close to sailing.

You have a great cruise!