Car rental drop off near Tampa cruise port

caneable

We are taking a cruise out of Tampa early January. We found our most direct and least expensive option to Florida was to fly direct to Orlando, stay one night and then drive to Tampa next morning. That is all booked. However, now we have a problem. All the car rental sites seem to only allow us to select a drop off at Tampa airport. I was wondering if people know of a rental company operating out of, or near, Tampa cruise port. I realise that we could get to Tampa airport and taxi in but it looks like that option is quite slow and costly. Thanks for any suggestions.

Actually a taxi from TPA to the port takes about 15 minutes and costs only $25+tip

A couple of long blocks from the port are both a Hertz and Avis office - these are located in large hotels; also there is an Enterprise office within a couple of miles (look for a Channel side or Ybor City location). You might pay a higher rate to use these offices compared to the TPA airport locations - price it out.

We are taking a cruise out of Tampa early January. We found our most direct and least expensive option to Florida was to fly direct to Orlando, stay one night and then drive to Tampa next morning. That is all booked. However, now we have a problem. All the car rental sites seem to only allow us to select a drop off at Tampa airport. I was wondering if people know of a rental company operating out of, or near, Tampa cruise port. I realise that we could get to Tampa airport and taxi in but it looks like that option is quite slow and costly. Thanks for any suggestions.

We drop at the Avis in the Embassy Suites all the time. Look for location code QD6. I just made a reservation yesterday. They have a free shuttle to the port also, however sometimes they get busy and you have to wait a bit for the shuttle. Taxi to the port is $6pp, flat fee.

Edited by clarea

We drop at the Avis in the Embassy Suites all the time. Look for location code QD6. I just made a reservation yesterday. They have a free shuttle to the port also, however sometimes they get busy and you have to wait a bit for the shuttle. Taxi to the port is $6pp, flat fee.

Thanks for posting this. We were also looking into a similar option for February. Which Embassy Suites is this? the airport or the other one?

Thanks for posting this. We were also looking into a similar option for February. Which Embassy Suites is this? the airport or the other one?

The Embassy Suites in downtown Tampa, near the convention center.

We are renting at Tampa airport, driving the car to Embassy Suites-

We have two free nights there due to accumulated Hilton points- but will have to pay for parking at hotel.

Someone said it is only a 10 minute walk from hotel to cruise terminal? My dh was going to drop me off with the luggage around 9:30 am, then go back to hotel to return rental car.

If we do the above, is the wait to get into the terminal under any shade?

Would it be better just to return car together and pay the $12 for a taxi rather than wait for a shuttle from Budget if they really have one?

We just want the easiest procedure, since the cost for a taxi is minimal.

Embassy Suites convention center suggest Blue One transport- I called them up at 813 927 3602--

Was told they charge $5.00 per person each way- hotel to cruise port-

They said they come by about every 15 minutes at back of hotel-

I'm still contemplating just calling a taxi from hotel to cruise port. Are there plenty of taxis lined up at the cruise port and easy to grab?

I'm just thinking that I don't want to wait forever for my dh to walk the 20-30 minutes to the hotel, then have him get the rental car to then come back to pick me up- I may be waiting for 1- 1 hour 30 minutes then. Hmmm

Embassy Suites convention center suggest Blue One transport- I called them up at 813 927 3602--

Was told they charge $5.00 per person each way- hotel to cruise port-

They said they come by about every 15 minutes at back of hotel-

I'm still contemplating just calling a taxi from hotel to cruise port. Are there plenty of taxis lined up at the cruise port and easy to grab?

I'm just thinking that I don't want to wait forever for my dh to walk the 20-30 minutes to the hotel, then have him get the rental car to then come back to pick me up- I may be waiting for 1- 1 hour 30 minutes then. Hmmm

Yes, plenty of taxis. I'd not wait for a shuttle when the taxi is $6pp flat rate.