Captain's Club - will points increase if you pay for an upgrade?

bertrande

We are currently booked in a S2 for our upcoming cruise in February. We are within final payment (and have indeed made final payment for this cruise). If we pay to upgrade to another suite category, will we be entitled to the CC points of that new suite category or will we still get 8 points a night as per our S2 booking? The upgrade fee would be less than what it initially would cost us to book that cabin, given that we are so close to the cruise so I am not sure if this "discount" would affect the CC points that we would be entitled to.

Thanks in advance for your expertise!

There are upgrades and up sells.

If you initiate a upgrade paying the current fare you recieve the CC points for the higher level cabin.

An upsell is when Celebrity contacts you or your TA offering you the opportunity to move to a higher level cabin for a small amount of money ( much less than the current fare) or in our case last year for free. In this situation you do not get the additional CC points.

There are upgrades and up sells.

If you initiate a upgrade paying the current fare you recieve the CC points for the higher level cabin.

An upsell is when Celebrity contacts you or your TA offering you the opportunity to move to a higher level cabin for a small amount of money ( much less than the current fare) or in our case last year for free. In this situation you do not get the additional CC points.

Thank you! In this case, I initiated the upgrade and am paying the difference between the current fare and what I'd originally paid. For peace of mind I just asked my TA to confirm with Celebrity that it's not considered a reduced rate upgrade and she said CEL informed her it would not be.

From Captains Club:

"Reduced rate upgrades, pre-cruise and onboard, will earn Club Points at the original stateroom category purchased, and NOT the category of the upgraded stateroom"

Yes I had read that prior to posting - I just wasn't sure whether my case was considered a reduced rate upgrade given that I was paying the difference between current pricing and what I had paid but this current pricing was lower than what it would usually cost given that we are well within final payment window. :)

We paid $25pp to upgrade from AQ to S1. We got 8 points/day instead of 5. I want to do this again ........and again.....and again:D

WOW. Ok, we paid a lot more than $25pp for our "upgrade". Really wanted to try the RS and so glad one just happened to pop up today; however really wanted 12 points instead of the 8 given how much we paid. Glad (and relieved!) Celebrity confirmed it wouldn't classify as a reduced rate upgrade. :D Makes our path to Elite slightly shorter!

We had interesting situation. Booked an RS early for a Greek island tour this past summer. About 3 weeks before cruise, the PH was selling for less than we paid for the RS. I called and asked if we could move. Celebrity agreed, sold our RS for a lot less than we paid, and we got the CC points for the PH. Needless to say we were happy for 2 reasons - got the great PH on an M class ship and the points too!

We had interesting situation. Booked an RS early for a Greek island tour this past summer. About 3 weeks before cruise, the PH was selling for less than we paid for the RS. I called and asked if we could move. Celebrity agreed, sold our RS for a lot less than we paid, and we got the CC points for the PH. Needless to say we were happy for 2 reasons - got the great PH on an M class ship and the points too!

I wish that would happen to us! The RS was still a sizeable amount more than our S2 but a lot less than it was when we first booked - and we booked more than a year or so out when itineraries were just released. I figured on a 14 night cruise, we could do with the extra space (our other booking is in an S1 but our group comprises 5 adults and 2 young children) and for DH and I, the unlimited specialty dining. Although with the RS, the two free specialty dinners we got from our S2 booking is rendered redundant, as are the rest of the Go Best perks (apart from the gratuities and the OBC).... oh well, give and take I suppose!