Platinum vouchers

tlreze

Can anyone tell me if you get charged the 18% gratuity when you use the Platinum meal voucher now that the speciality restaurants are charging a la carte?

Didn't get round to making reservations in time on our cruise last September so "missed out" on three dinners for two.

Not that we were worried but just interested whether they apply the service charge on the Platinum perk.

No, they don't do an automatic charge for gratuity. You just give your voucher to the hostess when you check in for your reservation.

has any solo cruiser used the dinner voucher for two dinners for themselves or is that not allowed?

There was a thread about that a few days ago. It appears that the answer is maybe. Different people on different ships have had different responses. I'm thinking the maitre d at the restaurant has a lot to do with it. Give it try. You can't be in any worse position, if they say no.

has any solo cruiser used the dinner voucher for two dinners for themselves or is that not allowed?

My wife and I travel with our daughter and all three of us are Platinum, so we get three vouchers for dinner for two. So six meals in total

We have asked if we could use them as two meals for three but they wouldn't let us. So if we went as a threesome twice we would have had to pay for an extra meal for our daughter.

As CruisinHarvey says, it doesn't do any harm to ask though. They may do the second one but with only one bottle of wine for both occasions.

Having done most of the speciality restaurants several times, this isn't a big deal for us so we don't bother.

I would rather go out for a meal on a separate occasion rather than pay extra unnecessarily on the ship. I've already paid once for food and ship restaurants are rarely better than land based places. We're usually more than happy with the included restaurants.

In saying that if there's a reason to do so such as the Illusionarium show or the Teppanyaki then that's something that we would normally do ashore so it's worth doing.

Edited by tony@stanton19.freeserve.

There was a thread about that a few days ago. It appears that the answer is maybe. Different people on different ships have had different responses. I'm thinking the maitre d at the restaurant has a lot to do with it. Give it try. You can't be in any worse position, if they say no.

Thanks. I found it. [emoji7]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Can anyone tell me if you get charged the 18% gratuity when you use the Platinum meal voucher now that the speciality restaurants are charging a la carte?

Didn't get round to making reservations in time on our cruise last September so "missed out" on three dinners for two.

Not that we were worried but just interested whether they apply the service charge on the Platinum perk.

No additional charge. You give your voucher to the hostess so she gives you the right wine menu. You get 1-1-1 (one appitizer, one entree, one dessert) each plus a bottle of wine. We always order a couple of extra appitizers and pay the difference, if asked.

No additional charge. You give your voucher to the hostess so she gives you the right wine menu. You get 1-1-1 (one appitizer, one entree, one dessert) each plus a bottle of wine. We always order a couple of extra appitizers and pay the difference, if asked.

Thank you for your answer. It's useful to know and we haven't had a Platinum meal since they changed the charging system.

• 9 months later...
One other thing - we used to just jam the bag full with the slip but a few trips back they sent it back and wanted us to mark down the number of items in each category on the slip. I'm o.k. with that but just was a change.
We had to mark the number of items, as well on our very recent trip. I think it's to prove that they returned all your items in case of a dispute.

We had to mark the number of items, as well on our very recent trip. I think it's to prove that they returned all your items in case of a dispute.

We always fill out slip. Why Not? It's both your way and their way to verify they give everything back. Never even thought about just throwing the slip in without filling it in. It has nothing to do with a platinum benefit. It's just common sense.

We always fill out slip. Why Not? It's both your way and their way to verify they give everything back. Never even thought about just throwing the slip in without filling it in. It has nothing to do with a platinum benefit. It's just common sense.
I always fill out the slip as well.

As a follow-up, I have been on several cruises since my query in January. I have been denied using the voucher for two solo meals. You have to give the certificate you get in your cabin to the hostess with the first meal.

But I often smile and try to charm the wait staff by innocently querying if I could "Please get two appetizers. They look so delicious." I'm saving them money by not ordering a second entree (if i had company). They usually smile and say something like, "that's ok. I'll take care of it." But my last meal the waiter said it wasn't ok, but he'd take care of it.

I watched as he gathered the bill. He had to take it to someone out of view before returning to the computer to do a final print. Maybe I should talk to the maitre'd so the wait staff doesn't have to make the decision.

As far as laundry goes, you get a voucher for that too on the first day that should be placed in the laundry bag. I once didn't bother filling out the quantity of clothing on the laundry slip because it was all Zero cost, but I got it sent back to fill out. Must be a protocol thing. I also write PLATINUM FREE BAG on slip and PLATINUM on bag.

And on this last transatlantic, 14 days, they gave us an extra free bag of laundry, but not a second voucher. They said to just write Platinum on the laundry slip.

As a follow-up, I have been on several cruises since my query in January. I have been denied using the voucher for two solo meals. You have to give the certificate you get in your cabin to the hostess with the first meal.

But I often smile and try to charm the wait staff by innocently querying if I could "Please get two appetizers. They look so delicious." I'm saving them money by not ordering a second entree (if i had company). They usually smile and say something like, "that's ok. I'll take care of it." But my last meal the waiter said it wasn't ok, but he'd take care of it.

I watched as he gathered the bill. He had to take it to someone out of view before returning to the computer to do a final print. Maybe I should talk to the maitre'd so the wait staff doesn't have to make the decision.

As far as laundry goes, you get a voucher for that too on the first day that should be placed in the laundry bag. I once didn't bother filling out the quantity of clothing on the laundry slip because it was all Zero cost, but I got it sent back to fill out. Must be a protocol thing. I also write PLATINUM FREE BAG on slip and PLATINUM on bag.

And on this last transatlantic, 14 days, they gave us an extra free bag of laundry, but not a second voucher. They said to just write Platinum on the laundry slip.

They no longer let you use voucher for second meal if sailing solo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 4 weeks later...

If what you say is true here, I have been cheated. My husband and I only get one set of vouchers for 2 platinum members. We should each get vouchers. I wonder if we just have to question it, I could have used an extra laundry coupon on my last back2back. :D

If what you say is true here, I have been cheated. My husband and I only get one set of vouchers for 2 platinum members. We should each get vouchers. I wonder if we just have to question it, I could have used an extra laundry coupon on my last back2back. :D

Each gets one bag laundry

Dinners are per cabin now not per guest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No cheating. You get one set of vouchers per room. You do NOT get one set each. Two dinners total.

You can get another laundry voucher if you want from the Cruise Next desk,,,, or just write PLATINUM with a zero balance on the slip when you turn it in.

You weren't cheated. Since the changes it's one set per cabin but if you look at the laundry voucher it says you can get another one from desk. However I simply printed Platinum on the laundry list. No problems. I used my name for the first bag and hubby's name several days later for the second bag.

Were your b2b cruises booked as two different cruises? If so you should have gotten another voucher set for the second cruise.