Norwegian Escape Internet Package

AMOCruiser

Just over 4 weeks ago, had unlimited. It was ok for general web browsing, email etc. Varied depending on where we are (around Tortola it was hideous, on the sea day back to Miami pretty decent)

VPNs do not work or at least mine was blocked from connecting. No streaming either due to latency.

sorry to ask again, but just for clarification for me. The internet package that ,is for basic email and browsing, does work? reasonably well? I only ask this again because it is important for me to have a daily email from home that my elderly parents are ok. It gives me peace of mind, and I go to bed at night with a sense of everything is fine at home. Without this ability, I would not cope well on a 7 day cruise.

So are you all saying that the basic internet that includes email and basic browsing works ok? because I keep hearing how bad the internet on board is, but my needs are basic, so just wondering. Thanks for any input in this regard.

sorry to ask again, but just for clarification for me. The internet package that ,is for basic email and browsing, does work? reasonably well? I only ask this again because it is important for me to have a daily email from home that my elderly parents are ok. It gives me peace of mind, and I go to bed at night with a sense of everything is fine at home. Without this ability, I would not cope well on a 7 day cruise.

So are you all saying that the basic internet that includes email and basic browsing works ok? because I keep hearing how bad the internet on board is, but my needs are basic, so just wondering. Thanks for any input in this regard.

The internet on most ships is ok for email and basic web surfing. Is it as good as home,,,, no. Is it similar to what you get in a hotel,,,, sure. Is it good enough for skype voice and FaceTime voice,,,, yes.

NCL did an upgrade to their internet over the summer. The ships that we have been on with the upgrade have been good. They have done a bunch to improve the perceived speed. It will always be satellite internet with latency for new requests.

I can't speak to the Escape. The last time we were on her in May, before the upgrade, the service was the worst in the fleet. Unusable. And I spoke to the hotel director both times we were on the Escape.

Edited by BirdTravels

You can register as many devices as you wish, whether it's a time/MB-based or unlimited plan with NCL - the usage meter will keep running until you logged off ("you will be burning money" if you forgot to sign out on the device or via browser on the PC/laptop or netbook, etc.)

*** For those with elderly/loved ones, in good or frail health and feel better with daily/nightly checks - I highly recommend having a backup plan, using looking into using your home cellular provider's SMS or text messaging plan, incoming TXT can be as little as 50 cents or 25 cents each (free in some cases) while outgoing might be a little higher, maybe $1 USD per MSG (not MMS) - it doesn't use roaming data & you don't need to worry about getting a WiFi plan ... for a typical 7 nights sailing, 3 or 4 messages daily could run as little as $20 to $30 only vs. one of the smaller 300 MB data plan offered only on the Breakaway, for $59 (which is more than adequate for basic email & light web surfing) instead of a typical unlimited plan, around $210 or less for the full 7 days - that's only good while you are "glued" to the ship's tower.

I was on Escape last week (11/19 sailing) and had the unlimited internet plan. My father was on board as well with the unlimited plan. The first two days it was particularly spotty -- we had to keep logging on which could take up to 20 min or more. The 'upgrade' NCL made was essentially an added protocol that was fine when it worked . . .but added extra time when logging in and often the login would time out. And you had to open your device up to potential privacy concerns -- akin to an extra port - without security/protection.

By Monday -- we were really frustrated at having spent $210 without getting reliable - even if slow- service. Logging in would time out and connecting was near impossible.

Having said that, the service improved by Tuesday and remained 'ok' throughout the remainder of the cruise. It still took a while to login when you get bumped off.

Internet on Oasis class Royal is super fast and you can use all kinds of streaming including live broadcasting. Whereas NCL reminds me of the old aol days circa 1995 - dial up- with less reliability. -- To answer your question, I was able to check email everyday. I did not try to VPN to my work network, so can't comment -- but I would imagine the latency issues would make that difficult.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone back from 11/26 or 12/3 sailings that purchased one of the Internet Packages care to provide a review of it?

I had it on the 12/3 sailing and was surprised with how fast it was. Not as fast as home - but I wouldn't consider it slow either - and definitely quicker than when we had Internet on another ship a few years ago which was painfully slow.

There were maybe 3-4 times that I didn't have a connection but it lasted very briefly - like a minute or two - and then I was able to log in. Some times were slower than others, but I was able to do whatever I wanted. At one point I made a video on my phone and uploaded it onto a website and put it into an email and sent it and it went quickly - I was surprised. I also had no issues Imessaging with my kids.

Edited by ljrfrm

With the unlimited plan would you occur any Verizon charges?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I kept my phone on airplane mode the whole time and had no charges. I was surprised that even when I wasn't logged in to the Internet (we shared the plan with multiple devices so only logged in on my phone occasionally) I still was able to Imessage with my kids. I was worried I'don't somehow have charges but didn't have any.

I kept my phone on airplane mode the whole time and had no charges. I was surprised that even when I wasn't logged in to the Internet (we shared the plan with multiple devices so only logged in on my phone occasionally) I still was able to Imessage with my kids. I was worried I'don't somehow have charges but didn't have any.

I thought in airplane mode you can't do anything with your phone. ??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just got off of the 12/10 Escape cruise.

little hint...

I waited until Monday to sign up for the unlimited and it was prorated.

Day 1 at the departure port, we had access to cell service in Miami

Day 2 was Sunday and I just "toughed it out" with no wifi :D

Day 3 I had a client that needed something so rather than spend $125, I spent $159 for the remainder of the cruise. So, I basically had unlimted for 6 of the 7 days.

Also, if you have AT&T cell, you will have pretty decent service at no charge in St Thomas.

TexasDallas is correct. I did feel that the service was spotty and took quite a bit of time to log in. Make sure you "logout" when done or you will eat up your minutes.

Yes. A, T and T in St. T was pretty good service.

We were on Allure of the Seas in early spring it was MUCH better.