Water proof phone holder for diving

B-Diddy

Hi,

There are several water proof phone cases that are rated to 100' depth. We're considering one as an inexpensive option for being able to take a few pics while diving. We understand they won't be great quality. Has anyone had this work for them? We own a dive camera but the actual camera died so now it's a fancy case and light that's useless. Are there any good "disposable" options that will make it to 60' and back?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Hi,

There are several water proof phone cases that are rated to 100' depth. We're considering one as an inexpensive option for being able to take a few pics while diving. We understand they won't be great quality. Has anyone had this work for them? We own a dive camera but the actual camera died so now it's a fancy case and light that's useless. Are there any good "disposable" options that will make it to 60' and back?

I have seen some disposalbe cameras that will work to 50 or a 100 ft.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

There are several water proof phone cases that are rated to 100' depth. We're considering one as an inexpensive option for being able to take a few pics while diving. We understand they won't be great quality. Has anyone had this work for them? We own a dive camera but the actual camera died so now it's a fancy case and light that's useless. Are there any good "disposable" options that will make it to 60' and back?]

If you don't really care about what happens to the phone, then you might give this a try. The odds of a leak and ruining the phone are not favorable.

Scott & Karen

Hi,

I've never heard of these being good for actual use of the camera underwater, only for just holding the phone and keeping it dry. What provisions do the cases have for actually operating the camera on the phone while underwater?

We actually have what was once a nice diving camera setup. Unfortunately the camera died and with the newer tech it's not worth fixing. Hoping Santa brings something. We found a disposable rated to 60 and the rental shops assure us that the dive masters will have a camera just for people like us for a price of course. The cell phone can be set to take pics with the side buttons which you can press through the waterproof cover but I agree that the quality couldn't be very good. Ultimately a Go Pro and wrist mounted light are in our future but diving is expensive as I'm sure you all know. One thing at a time right now. Just got my open water Dec 9th. Can't wait for our cruise!!

We actually have what was once a nice diving camera setup. Unfortunately the camera died and with the newer tech it's not worth fixing. Hoping Santa brings something. We found a disposable rated to 60 and the rental shops assure us that the dive masters will have a camera just for people like us for a price of course. The cell phone can be set to take pics with the side buttons which you can press through the waterproof cover but I agree that the quality couldn't be very good. Ultimately a Go Pro and wrist mounted light are in our future but diving is expensive as I'm sure you all know. One thing at a time right now. Just got my open water Dec 9th. Can't wait for our cruise!!

If you just got certified, I would concentrate more on the diving and let your DM or others on the dive take photos to share with you. Your first ocean dives are going to be so special...don't miss anything because you are messing with a camera instead of looking around. Have fun.

If you just got certified, I would concentrate more on the diving and let your DM or others on the dive take photos to share with you. Your first ocean dives are going to be so special...don't miss anything because you are messing with a camera instead of looking around. Have fun.

Thanks! This is our honeymoon and we really just want a picture of us for the memories. Not even thinking of messing with a camera while in progress. I had a hard enough time managing a light on our last dive! Thanks for all of the great replies and information.

I bought a Seashell case that holds an I/phone 4 or 5.

The pictures aren't great, but I have used it over 20 times. No leaks.

You have to choose picture or video before you put the phone in the case.

It is good to 40 meters

I was down 105 feet yesterday in Cozumel and it was fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app