In-Room safes

khewston

That seems unusual in this day and age! If I discovered there was no safe, I'd ask the front desk to store my money and passport in the hotel safe (I've never been in a hotel that didn't make that offer). Personally I wouldn't worry about my boarding pass but since it doesn't take up much room, fold it into your passport. Just don't forget to claim your stash when you check out!

I'm looking at hotels in Fort Lauderdale and I'm finding most of them do not have safes in the rooms. I have not traveled in a very long time. What do you do with passports, boarding passes and cash while you are exploring the area?

Those in-room safes are also known as "the maid's safe" because guess who gets to open them when somebody checks out and hasn't left the same open?

I travel a fair amount. Some hotels have the room safes, some don't. It is usually indicated on the hotel's website. And it is far rarer for the hotel not to offer a safe deposit box set up behind the front desk. But we have experienced safe deposit box set ups that are too small for tablets, so that is sometimes a problem.

It seems to us to be the cheaper hotels tend not to have safes, but that may be too broad a generalization. But we think maybe 50% have safes...overall.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Invest in a neck pouch. You can use it while cruising too. DH carries one on all our travels. Sometimes it just stays empty in the room. Other times it's hidden under his shirt at a port of call or busy city. That way you don't need to worry about safe or not. Or bother with waiting at the front desk to get into the boxes there.

If doing a beach trip, there are some that are very waterproof too. You don't want to leave things of value on a chair while you walk the beach.

Edited by eandj