Live From The Mariner, Villages of the Amazon, 26 Nov - 21 Dec

TahoeTraveler

Butler Charlie in the black tails is a man. Charlie knows the passenger privacy rules. He's no first timer at cruising. Charlie may have caught you once 'Nu et sans vêtements' and enjoyed the catch. He can't pass your cabin now without the overpowering male compulsion to burst in for another peek. The door tag display may work, but I doubt it. Mike's going to have greet him in shorts at the door and deliver the Don't Distrurb sign in person. It will be a peek Butler Charlie won't forget.

Jack, I have been on a cruise ship for 15 days now, and I can assure you that no man in his right mind would want to take a peek, much less two, at my greatly enlarged figure. I cannot complain about the food on board, that is for sure!!! But perhaps Mike and I should plan a "surprise Charlie" party, where Mike is just standing there in his skivvies...that would probably fix the problem once and for all!!!!!

Thanks for your detailed response. I spent the last hour looking at other itineraries but know that my DH wants to do the Amazon. I'm also looking at "vests" that take ice and water that I could possibly wear when ashore (I am such a wimp :o

It has been well worth dealing with the heat TC. I can't say I'd do it again, but I'm very glad we've done it...heat and all. And remember, if you really are that sensitive to heat, you can always stay on the ship in the tender ports (which are more remote and tend to have tour buses that are not air conditioned) and let your DH go ashore and deal with the heat.

Dear Tahoe Traveler -

Thank you so much for your detailed trip report which we are using to help us decide if we want to do the Amazon next year. We already have a deposit on the October trip on Crystal.

I guess what we really want to know is: other than being on a luxurious cruise ship for 3 weeks, is the AMAZON experience worth all the discomfort (bugs, heat & humidity, tendering, hot buses, etc.)?

We will be extremely interested in your comments and overall thoughts once you are back in the Caribbean. Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dear Tahoe Traveler -

Thank you so much for your detailed trip report which we are using to help us decide if we want to do the Amazon next year. We already have a deposit on the October trip on Crystal.

I guess what we really want to know is: other than being on a luxurious cruise ship for 3 weeks, is the AMAZON experience worth all the discomfort (bugs, heat & humidity, tendering, hot buses, etc.)?

We will be extremely interested in your comments and overall thoughts once you are back in the Caribbean. Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interestingly enough, we were just talking about how bugs have been absolutely no problem whatsoever. There was one morning when we could not open our balcony door because there were a bunch of little flying bugs out there, but other than that, we really haven't seen much in the way of insects. There has been absolutely no issue with mosquitoes (we were told they usually come out at night), for which I am grateful as I tend to be a mosquito magnet for some reason.

As for the heat, it has been bad, but a nice cool shower and a cold beer when getting back on board has done the trick for us!!! Honestly, it hasn't even been miserable (with the possible exception of yesterday getting to and from the Boi Bumba show)...just a bit uncomfortable. And we have had nice air conditioned buses in all ports but Parintins...you just have to choose your excursions wisely if heat is an issue for you (for example, the boat tours are cooler than the hiking tours).

So to answer your question, yes, for us the Amazon experience has been absolutely, positively worth every little inconvenience. Would we do it again? Probably not. But we are very, very glad we did do it.

Just finished catching up on your thread. Thank you so much for taking precious time from your vacation to keep us all informed. Thanks to you, we will add an Amazon cruise to our bucket list. Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Z and TB

Gee, now I'm glad we don't have a butler this time! The few times we've had one, that's certainly not been a problem, nor with room stewards.

I would just talk to him directly about this, and tell him not to do it! He knocks, waits, then cracks the door open and calls to see if it's okay to enter.

The A/C on the ship has been fantastic (we have an aft Horizon View suite in the very middle, so are neither aft nor starboard). No problems whatsoever, even in this sometimes unbearable heat. I have to warn you though...when I say unbearable, I mean it. I grew up in southern coastal Georgia, so am used to high humidity and temperatures...and I have been just about put at my absolute limit a few times. The worst has been the tenders...with no ventilation and a long wait to load and unload, the tenders are almost unbearable for me. But I have to consider the benefits at the end. Also, Mike and I really like the more casual pool bar...but have often had to forego it when we are in port, because it is simply too hot. When the ship is moving, it is pleasant because there is a breeze blowing. But when it is still? UGH. That being said, we have just "sucked it up" and dealt with the heat, even if it meant being less than comfortable at times. You will always be able to find a cool spot on the ship to hang out...but sometimes, we just choose to be a bit uncomfortable just for the company or ambience.

As for the cruise, we have loved it. We really had no expectations, other than it was Regent and with that comes some assumptions, and we have not been disappointed. Seriously...it has been fantastic. If I have given the impression otherwise, I apologize. We have been having the time of our lives, and I am now a bit depressed realizing how little time we have left on board the beautiful Mariner.

Please feel free to ask any questions!!!

You suggested questions, Tami, and here are a few of mine.

1. How would you rate the stage performances so far? Are they in keeping with the shows you enjoyed on other cruise ships?

2. Earlier you described the Regent's hallway meeting with the bridge officers. Was that event something your praise highly . . . or what? A good touch or unnecessary?

3. Are you buying any of the expensive wines at dinner time or going with the wines that came with your regular fare?

4. You know my current interest in wheelchairs. What's the wheelchair traffic like on Mariner? Heavy, lite, no problem?

I do wish we were there.

Jack

Gee, now I'm glad we don't have a butler this time! The few times we've had one, that's certainly not been a problem, nor with room stewards.

I would just talk to him directly about this, and tell him not to do it! He knocks, waits, then cracks the door open and calls to see if it's okay to enter.

On the other line we frequent the butler calls us and tells me he will be there in five minutes if we ordered anything which is a nice heads up or he will call during cocktail hour would we like anything or need anything? No intrusion of our privacy. No problems.

On the other line we frequent the butler calls us and tells me he will be there in five minutes if we ordered anything which is a nice heads up or he will call during cocktail hour would we like anything or need anything? No intrusion of our privacy. No problems.

As it should be -

gnomie :)

Personally, I would prefer that our butler knock at our door vs. calling. In all of our cruises (most with butlers), we have not had a problem with butlers coming into our suite without knocking a few times and giving us plenty of time to respond. Obviously if we are on the balcony or in the shower and can't hear the door, they will come in but they are very sensitive to our privacy.

A simple word with your butler will solve the issue immediately.

You suggested questions, Tami, and here are a few of mine.

1. How would you rate the stage performances so far? Are they in keeping with the shows you enjoyed on other cruise ships?

2. Earlier you described the Regent's hallway meeting with the bridge officers. Was that event something your praise highly . . . or what? A good touch or unnecessary?

3. Are you buying any of the expensive wines at dinner time or going with the wines that came with your regular fare?

4. You know my current interest in wheelchairs. What's the wheelchair traffic like on Mariner? Heavy, lite, no problem?

I do wish we were there.

Jack

Jack,

Here are my answers:

1. Entertainment has been mostly good, but not great. Last night's 007 James Bond event was excellent (best show we've seen yet). We did not go to the Cirque show because of my accident that day, but were told by some folks on board who have the same taste in entertainment as we do that it really wasn't very good...but to hear others talk about it, it was great. As with food, it is highly subjective.

2. Block party is, IMO, and excellent touch and great way to meet your neighbors.

3. No, we have only sampled the included wines, and have found some very good ones.

4. We have only seen about 10 wheelchairs...but I may be adding another one, thanks to another accident I had last night. Will elaborate in my daily post.

Personally, I would prefer that our butler knock at our door vs. calling. In all of our cruises (most with butlers), we have not had a problem with butlers coming into our suite without knocking a few times and giving us plenty of time to respond. Obviously if we are on the balcony or in the shower and can't hear the door, they will come in but they are very sensitive to our privacy.

A simple word with your butler will solve the issue immediately.

I think he has gotten the hint, as he now knocks and then opens the door a crack and asks if it is okay for him to come in. And I agree, in all our cruises with a butler, we've never had one just barge in like he was doing earlier in the cruise. Very strange...but this cruise has been very unique for me with all my accidents anyway!

I think he has gotten the hint, as he now knocks and then opens the door a crack and asks if it is okay for him to come in. And I agree, in all our cruises with a butler, we've never had one just barge in like he was doing earlier in the cruise. Very strange...but this cruise has been very unique for me with all my accidents anyway!

Is there not a 'security' setting on your door lock? We just got off Riviera and there is a small, well, knob, for lack of a better word, at the bottom of the handle on the inside (cabin side) which can be rotated after we closed the door.

I thought this was a lock that meant the door couldn't be opened with only the card key, which would require the butler to knock to gain entrance.

I figured that in an emergency there was some type of override key that would click open the security/safety lock.

Now I'm thinking I was wrong about that extra lock.

Jack,

Here are my answers:

1. Entertainment has been mostly good, but not great. Last night's 007 James Bond event was excellent (best show we've seen yet). We did not go to the Cirque show because of my accident that day, but were told by some folks on board who have the same taste in entertainment as we do that it really wasn't very good...but to hear others talk about it, it was great. As with food, it is highly subjective.

2. Block party is, IMO, and excellent touch and great way to meet your neighbors.

3. No, we have only sampled the included wines, and have found some very good ones.

4. We have only seen about 10 wheelchairs...but I may be adding another one, thanks to another accident I had last night. Will elaborate in my daily post.

Knowing you and Mike (as I often think I do) tells me you two always have good times no matter the conditions. I think back to your months in the Middle East with the heat, sand, and God only knows what else, and you two emerged smiling and better for the experiences.

Your item in #4, Tami, re: wheelchair need, is bothersome. I have my fingers crossed that whatever happened will dissipate quickly and you'll return to your dancing on table tops shortly. Jack

Is there not a 'security' setting on your door lock? We just got off Riviera and there is a small, well, knob, for lack of a better word, at the bottom of the handle on the inside (cabin side) which can be rotated after we closed the door.

I thought this was a lock that meant the door couldn't be opened with only the card key, which would require the butler to knock to gain entrance.

I figured that in an emergency there was some type of override key that would click open the security/safety lock.

Now I'm thinking I was wrong about that extra lock.

Whatever lock there might be for we who huddle in cabins can always be simply and quickly breached by staff. It has to be that way otherwise emergencies requiring swift entry would require breaking down the metal door or crawling over balconies.

One night on a HAL cruise to Alaska, our Port side suite received a flooding on the 7th deck from rains and wind. Our carpet was wet from balcony to the door to the hall. We were in bed at the time, our door secure, and a Don't Distrub tag outside; we were unaware of the flooding. Early in the AM we awakened to a door knock and before we could sit up, three staff members apologized as they walked past us to the balcony. It was dark in the room and the men sloshing by in the soggy carpet were but shadows. They stepped outside, establish a tarp outside, and reentered. A fourth man walked in, still in the dark, carrying a large heater floor fan. Moments later, after another brief apology, the four disappeared from the cabin. We never saw their faces, didn't catch their names, and were stuck with an expensive suite that swooshed when we walked and a fan that did funny blade clicking noises as it spun all night.

We joked about the experience the next morning. Freda laughed saying, "I thought you were going to be gang raped and I might get the hell kicked out of me."

We did complain and HAL gave us one of their coffee table books on travels in Alaska for our troubles. Big deal!

Jack

-------

Sue and I have been following this thread, as we will do a similar itinerary beginning at Miami on May 23, 2017. Good information. We have cruised on all Regent ships beginning in 2007. Actually, our first-time on Explorer will be Miami to Venice B2B, March-April, 2017. Then, back to our Redmond, WA home for a few weeks before back on a plane to Miami.

Sailed on Navigator, Fall Foliage 2012 Montreal to NYC cruise. Navigator is a unique ship, in several respects. Very-loyal crew. Enjoyed every aspect of that experience; and anticipate a similar 2017 result while cruising the Amazon. Fortunately, our Brazilian Visas remain current--thus saving about $450.00. Did a Mariner Cape Town to Rio combination safari and cruise, November-December, 2015. All that money for about 36 hours in Rio.

Thus is the cruising experience.

Regards to all, and perhaps see some of you either on Explorer or Navigator in 2017.

GOARMY!

Yes, the key to justifying the cost of a Brazilian visa is amortization!

We obtained our visas in 2014 for a Rio to Barcelona cruise on the Mariner that included stops in Recife and Salvador. We didn’t expect, or frankly, want to go back to Brazil, but then we found ourselves on the same Mariner Cape Town to Rio safari / cruise you took last year (which we enjoyed immensely, BTW). With another stop in Rio.

We thought we were done with Brazil and then we decided to go on the Mariner’s November 2017 Amazon cruise . . . so there’s our third use of the visa, driving that average cost per use down significantly.

Speaking of which, if you are Canadian and are retired, be forewarned that to obtain a Brazilian visa you are now required to provide three months of bank statements and a copy of your latest CRA Notice of Assessment as proof of funds. I know at least one retired person who was not comfortable sending this information to Brazil and has elected to forego the Amazon trip.

And I am not sure had we been required to produce this information in 2014 that we would have done so.

-------

Sue and I have been following this thread, as we will do a similar itinerary beginning at Miami on May 23, 2017. Good information. We have cruised on all Regent ships beginning in 2007. Actually, our first-time on Explorer will be Miami to Venice B2B, March-April, 2017. Then, back to our Redmond, WA home for a few weeks before back on a plane to Miami.

Sailed on Navigator, Fall Foliage 2012 Montreal to NYC cruise. Navigator is a unique ship, in several respects. Very-loyal crew. Enjoyed every aspect of that experience; and anticipate a similar 2017 result while cruising the Amazon. Fortunately, our Brazilian Visas remain current--thus saving about $450.00. Did a Mariner Cape Town to Rio combination safari and cruise, November-December, 2015. All that money for about 36 hours in Rio.

Thus is the cruising experience.

Regards to all, and perhaps see some of you either on Explorer or Navigator in 2017.

GOARMY!

Good points GOARMY. Just want to add that people with dual citizenship (U.S./U.K.) can use their European passport and will not need the visa. While my DH uses his U.S. passport 99% of the time, for Brazil he changes to his European passport. Note: He has to change his passport information with Regent and does carry both passports so that when he returns to the U.S. there are no problems.

Ka Honu: Love your comment regarding being port or starboard. I forgot that the ship turns around and returns from whence it came. We are in a port side suite for our Amazon cruise but it obviously doesn't make much of a difference.

Sorry for the very late posting...things have been a bit crazy the last couple of days.,

Mike and I opted not to get on the tenders yesterday and go to Alter do Chao. Although it is considered the "Caribbean of the Amazon" thanks to the beautiful beaches and water (it is not on the Amazon, but is on an adjoining river, the Rio Cupari, which is much clearer), we just really didn't want to spend the time and effort getting there and back for a simple beach stop. It looked like a lovey little place from the ship, and perhaps had we been more "beach" people, we would have enjoyed it. But apparently the stingray were in full force there, as we heard of at least 3 people who got stung while walking in the water (and one lady was in the infirmary this morning because her sting looked like it had gotten infected...I certainly hope she is okay).

So instead of going ashore, we did a bunch of on board activities and had a great day. The evening show was actually a 6:00pm James Bond 007 Martini event, which is something Lorraine honchos. It was an absolutely fabulous bit of entertainment, and was so well done. It was our favorite "show" by far, and kudos to the entire staff for pulling it off.

Because there was no 9:30 show, they had a movie playing in the theater. We never go to the movies, but we headed there and watched the movie Jason Bourne and ate horrible popcorn (seriouslly...it was the worst popcorn ever!!). It was such a great night...until I decided to head to the casino after Mike went to bed. The casino wasn't the problem...my shoes were, apparently.

And thus we come to accident number three. As I was heading back to the cabin around midnight after a very successful night at the casino, I rounded a corner, and somehow my foot slid in my strappy sandals (with heels)...and went sideways. I heard a snap and knew I'd done something bad. Luckily I was just about 5 feet from our cabin, so I was able to hobble in.

Long story short, after a rather restless night with a very painful foot, I headed to the infirmary this morning...where x-rays confirmed that I have broken a bone in my foot. It is extremely painful, and there is little anyone can do about it. I have it wrapped up, but cannot walk on it at all. I did try crutches, but with the sea swells (especially with no stabilizer out yet, as the water is still too shallow), I am afraid I'm going to fall and break or hurt something else. So we got a wheelchair and Mike is now wheeling me everywhere. I have become quite the celebrity on the ship, as the resident cruise klutz. Somehow I should have known this would happen. 2016 has been the absolule worst year of my life (Mike went through a tremendous upheaval in his job in January, I lost my dad in May and my nephew in October), and why in the world I thought it would get any better once I got on board the Mariner, I have no idea. But I was so hopeful!!

Anyway, it looks like Devil's Island is out for me, as it involves a rather rocky trail and some steps, but if Mike heads there I will try to report back his observations.

We had dinner with Anatoli Makaev, the GM, and several other very nice couples tonight. We are having dinner with Lorraine in Setti Mari tomorrow night, and with Captain Serena on the 15th. We have also asked the head chef to prepare a special German dinner (Mike's German, so this is something we always ask for) for us and 6 of our closest friends (not sure who they are yet!!!) on the 16th. So I may not be able to walk, but I'll darn sure be eating well the next few days!!!

I have honestly had the most fun just being on the ship and doing the activities. I have met the nicest people and cannot believe that I haven't even finished one chapter in my book yet!!! It has been a fantastic cruise, accidents and all.

Sorry this is a bit truncated, but I am tired, my foot hurts, and I need to hit the sack. Hopefully I'll have more to post tomorrow.

Edited by TahoeTraveler

Forgot to mention, tonight's show was a British singer/comedian, and she was great! Very funny, very spontaneous, and a lot of fun. We enjoyed it immensely. But when she stumbled and fell on the steps of the stage, I truly cringed. All I could think of was, "Oh dear God, don't let her pull a Tami!!!" She was fine, thankfully.

Sorry for the very late posting...things have been a bit crazy the last couple of days.,

Mike and I opted not to get on the tenders yesterday and go to Alter do Chao. Although it is considered the "Caribbean of the Amazon" thanks to the beautiful beaches and water (it is not on the Amazon, but is on an adjoining river, the Rio Cupari, which is much clearer), we just really didn't want to spend the time and effort getting there and back for a simple beach stop. It looked like a lovey little place from the ship, and perhaps had we been more "beach" people, we would have enjoyed it. But apparently the stingray were in full force there, as we heard of at least 3 people who got stung while walking in the water (and one lady was in the infirmary this morning because her sting looked like it had gotten infected...I certainly hope she is okay).

So instead of going ashore, we did a bunch of on board activities and had a great day. The evening show was actually a 6:00pm James Bond 007 Martini event, which is something Lorraine honchos. It was an absolutely fabulous bit of entertainment, and was so well done. It was our favorite "show" by far, and kudos to the entire staff for pulling it off.

Because there was no 9:30 show, they had a movie playing in the theater. We never go to the movies, but we headed there and watched the movie Jason Bourne and ate horrible popcorn (seriouslly...it was the worst popcorn ever!!). It was such a great night...until I decided to head to the casino after Mike went to bed. The casino wasn't the problem...my shoes were, apparently.

And thus we come to accident number three. As I was heading back to the cabin around midnight after a very successful night at the casino, I rounded a corner, and somehow my foot slid in my strappy sandals (with heels)...and went sideways. I heard a snap and knew I'd done something bad. Luckily I was just about 5 feet from our cabin, so I was able to hobble in.

Long story short, after a rather restless night with a very painful foot, I headed to the infirmary this morning...where x-rays confirmed that I have broken a bone in my foot. It is extremely painful, and there is little anyone can do about it. I have it wrapped up, but cannot walk on it at all. I did try crutches, but with the sea swells (especially with no stabilizer out yet, as the water is still too shallow), I am afraid I'm going to fall and break or hurt something else. So we got a wheelchair and Mike is now wheeling me everywhere. I have become quite the celebrity on the ship, as the resident cruise klutz. Somehow I should have known this would happen. 2016 has been the absolule worst year of my life (Mike went through a tremendous upheaval in his job in January, I lost my dad in May and my nephew in October), and why in the world I thought it would get any better once I got on board the Mariner, I have no idea. But I was so hopeful!!

Anyway, it looks like Devil's Island is out for me, as it involves a rather rocky trail and some steps, but if Mike heads there I will try to report back his observations.

We had dinner with Anatoli Makaev, the GM, and several other very nice couples tonight. We are having dinner with Lorraine in Setti Mari tomorrow night, and with Captain Serena on the 15th. We have also asked the head chef to prepare a special German dinner (Mike's German, so this is something we always ask for) for us and 6 of our closest friends (not sure who they are yet!!!) on the 16th. So I may not be able to walk, but I'll darn sure be eating well the next few days!!!

I have honestly had the most fun just being on the ship and doing the activities. I have met the nicest people and cannot believe that I haven't even finished one chapter in my book yet!!! It has been a fantastic cruise, accidents and all.

Sorry this is a bit truncated, but I am tired, my foot hurts, and I need to hit the sack. Hopefully I'll have more to post tomorrow.

I hate to see you miss Devil's Island, Tami. So much French prison history evolved from this terrible place. Some say there really is not much to see but just being there is half of the story. I've read so much about it and then there is the movie that brought it to light most recently. A broken bone in the foot would be the only reason I'd skip the place. I just hate to see you miss one of the key stops along the way.

Have you noticed that two of your accidents have resulted from your choice in shoes? Both times you really were hurt and with lasting consequences. Maybe you should think shoes for the rest of your cruise.

You mentioned the casino and said that it had been a 'very successful night'. What exactly is the meaning of successful when gambling in games in which the odds are so stacked against gamblers. Could it mean not losing as much as expected? Breaking even but having a great time? Maybe, winning a few dollars over and beyond the money you brought to the game? God forbid you won enough to pay for the return flights to Nevada.

Your reporting is first class. You should be a professional writer and turn this pastime of yours into another of your incomes.

Jack

Edited by 2old4this