What is new/different on HAL from several years ago???

LuAnn

We just got off 40 days on the Koningsdam. Found it excellent in every respect. We will sail on her again in June 2017.

On every cruise with 2500 or so passengers, there are about 300 who complain about something, and about 100 who complain about everything.

A lot of what you read here is posted by the 100.

I do not believe that this poster has been on the Koningsdam, but still bad mouths it!

I doubt very much that Tante Amalie is a chronic complainer as you imply here having achieved 5 star status on HAL. This issue here is how HAL has changed over the years. As a long time devotee of HAL yourself, surely you must have noted a decline in quality.

I doubt very much that Tante Amalie is a chronic complainer as you imply here having achieved 5 star status on HAL. This issue here is how HAL has changed over the years. As a long time devotee of HAL yourself, surely you must have noted a decline in quality.

I have noticed a CHANGE in the cruise experience. But CHANGE does not automatically indicate DECLINE.

Nothing I would complain about or go elsewhere.......

5 stars can complain too....

I'm just grateful to be able to afford to cruise and have the health to do so! People need to think about the majority of people who will never have the opportunity to experience what a great vacation a cruise is and stop complaining about such trivia.

I refuse to be negative when I have been so blessed. Over 40 cruises since 1980 and NEVER had a bad one!!

Cruise on positive people!!

i'm just grateful to be able to afford to cruise and have the health to do so! People need to think about the majority of people who will never have the opportunity to experience what a great vacation a cruise is and stop complaining about such trivia.

I refuse to be negative when i have been so blessed. Over 40 cruises since 1980 and never had a bad one!!

Cruise on positive people!!

+1 !

So go elsewhere!

A pointless comment - which ignores facts.

If you look at my post #44 on this thread, you will note that I expressed the view that HAL remains superior to other mass market lines. You will also note the specific cutbacks I cited which have been implemented in recent years.

If you have not noticed those, or comparable, cutbacks you have simply not been paying attention. The unfortunate thing is that there is NO elsewhere to go among mass market lines: they have all been engaged in the same effort - to attract larger numbers of cruisers to fill their growing fleets of ever larger ships. by holding down costs. They have all dumbed down what used to be delivery of a standard high-quality experience.

A pointless comment - which ignores facts.

If you look at my post #44 on this thread, you will note that I expressed the view that HAL remains superior to other mass market lines. You will also note the specific cutbacks I cited which have been implemented in recent years.

If you have not noticed those, or comparable, cutbacks you have simply not been paying attention. The unfortunate thing is that there is NO elsewhere to go among mass market lines: they have all been engaged in the same effort - to attract larger numbers of cruisers to fill their growing fleets of ever larger ships. by holding down costs. They have all dumbed down what used to be delivery of a standard high-quality experience.

Spot on. I think your previous post was as well. I still had a good time on my last 22 day cruise but it is still okay to comment about the changes, as there have been so many since my first cruise on HAL in 2004. Times change, the cruise market has changed and <script id="gpt-impl-0.5872799760761809" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_106.js"></script>of course HAL has changed. HAL isn't magical to us anymore, but where does it stand to the competition, which has also declined. It is perplexing why the HAL cheerleaders get so defensive if anyone points out any deficiencies. Thanks for your post.

My only HAL sailing was just over 6 years ago - 14 nights on Zaandam RT to Hawaii from San Diego. I absolutely loved it! I would've returned to HAL but, honestly, I just can't afford them. I often sail solo and paying 200% is no fun.

I just sailed #26 on Carnival. I've enjoyed every single one but I'm ready for some variety. It will be interesting to see if I feel things have declined on HAL in the past six years. I'm betting I won't notice a thing.

You should read the whining about CUTBACKS on the Carnival board! They even complain non-stop about the gifts given to the upper-tier loyalty-program members. Good grief. It's a gift. If you don't want it, give it away or leave it in the cabin! :rolleyes:

I had a look recently at the cost of my first cruise, which was on Carnival in 2001. There are similar cruises offered today at LESS (real dollars) than it cost in 2001. Yet people expect the same level of service and quality of food.

As a CCL shareholder, I'm torn. I want to continue to cruise. Since I sail mainly for the itinerary, I'm fine with costs being kept lower. I'd rather sail three times a year than only once with maybe slightly better food. And as long as my cabin is serviced daily, I'm fine with that, too.

Everyone says they'd pay more to retain those higher levels, yet I don't see them jumping to the luxury lines. What they really seem to want is the same level at rock-bottom prices, which is not going to happen. It just isn't economically feasible for the companies.

You should read the whining about CUTBACKS on the Carnival board! They even complain non-stop about the gifts given to the upper-tier loyalty-program members. Good grief. It's a gift. If you don't want it, give it away or leave it in the cabin! :rolleyes:

I guess when Carnival took over Carnival, it is just not the same. :cool:

(***This is an old joke around here, about Carnival taking over HAL and things just not being the same - which by now happened decades ago)

Great attitude. Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful cruise - we loved the Zaandam too.

Spot on. I think your previous post was as well. I still had a good time on my last 22 day cruise but it is still okay to comment about the changes, as there have been so many since my first cruise on HAL in 2004. Times change, the cruise market has changed and <script id="gpt-impl-0.5872799760761809" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_106.js"></script>of course HAL has changed. HAL isn't magical to us anymore, but where does it stand to the competition, which has also declined. It is perplexing why the HAL cheerleaders get so defensive if anyone points out any deficiencies. Thanks for your post.

I do not consider myself the "cheerleader" type, but someone has co counter the nit-pickers and chronic complainers that populate these forums. I have just gotten off 40 days on the Koningsdam, and really did not find time to "gather deficiencies".

I do not consider myself the "cheerleader" type, but someone has co counter the nit-pickers and chronic complainers that populate these forums. I have just gotten off 40 days on the Koningsdam, and really did not find time to "gather deficiencies".

The topic of this thread is "What is new/different about HAL from several years ago". A number of posters (myself included) have responded - totally on topic. I have indicated that I still believe that HAL is superior to the competition - while pointing out the changes - which can only be seen as cuts and reductions. We are not gathering deficiencies - we are objectively addressing the topic.

Your decision that you have to "counter the nit pickers and chronic complainers" --- a childish way of identifying people who have mentioned the changes OP asked about -- indeliably identifies you as a cheerleader.

Please --- give it a rest!

The topic of this thread is "What is new/different about HAL from several years ago". A number of posters (myself included) have responded - totally on topic. I have indicated that I still believe that HAL is superior to the competition - while pointing out the changes - which can only be seen as cuts and reductions. We are not gathering deficiencies - we are objectively addressing the topic.

Your decision that you have to "counter the nit pickers and chronic complainers" --- a childish way of identifying people who have mentioned the changes OP asked about -- indeliably identifies you as a cheerleader.

Please --- give it a rest!

I will if you will!

Holland America has really gone downhill in the last few years. It's a shell of its old self. They ask the crew to clean more rooms, wait on more tables, serve more drinks, etc. They do their best, but it's a losing battle. The food has deteriorated badly. The service is strained to the limit. They eliminate every activity that doesn't turn a profit. What a shame for a fine old line.

Just got off 40 days on the Koningsdam. As you can see by my signature, we have averaged two Hal cruises a year. Here is my take on the "deterioration".

Food

MDR service and decor were outstanding. Prime rib (rare) as good as ever, lobster much better than in previous years, duck excellent, wife ate lamb and fish - no complaints. Otherwise not much difference, portions a little smaller (you can always ask for more), not as many choices (you can only eat one at a time). Our table (anytime dining, same table for 34 nights -couldn't be better.

Tamarind -best food, service, and decor on the ship!

Canaletto much better than in the past. Better food, decor and service

Dutch Cafe - best Pea Soup this side of Amsterdam

NY Deli and Pizza -Deli sandwiches really comparable to NE US, pizza good and fresh baked

Lido - completely redesigned, lost more choices, takes getting used to

Also available Sel de Mer seafood, Pinnacle

Ship appearance/decor -much brighter and roomier

Entertainment

World Stage is a knockout - AV and seating better than ever. Cast shows more talent than ever (still too loud), lecturers high quality, always a full house. Magicians and singers, well they were magicians and singers

Lincoln Center the hit of the cruise, really talented group, always full. We went every night they were on.

Billboard, the new Queens Lounge with BB King Blues

Activities Ships Tours, Cooking classes. Wine Blending, Religious Services all there for those who want them.

Promenade - still there for walking

Edited by Tennessee Titan

Since it has been awhile since we were onboard a HAL ship I do appreciate all your insights and comments!!! And since we are returning to the Oosterdam...long after she was home-ported here in SD...it appears she will look a little different?

Every cruise we have been on...mostly on the "older" ships was a joy...and we look forward to a return to HAL...and TBH...while we have mostly sailed X (as our "main stream line") changes have occurred there as well....in fact we just returned from a T/A on "Sillie"..and I think it will be our last T/A with them....just far too crowded for the "Elite Plus" members (hate the name...but does show we have sailed them enough to know their product).

Since our longer cruises (a T/P and a re-po from FL to Montreal) were on the older ships I think self-service laundry is not on Oosterdam, right? We never worried about that when home ported here in SD...as they were many, many 7 night cruises to Mexico and laundry was not an issue...but for this long holiday cruise it might be!!!!

We have actually 2 cruises "cobbled" together...one a cruise over to HI..and then a Mexico cruise...sold as separate and also together by HA( we have booked the "together one" )...can you advise me what it would be like to get off in SD to go home...(I live 10 minutes from the port) and then get back on...???? I have never done this type of "B2B" before....I'm in the same cabin...so do I just get off and get back on....or what do you think the procedure would be like????? I know that customs/etc can be a "bear" in SD!!! LuAnn

Edited by LuAnn

The HAL laundry packages are a pretty good buy for the ships that do not have self-service laundries like the Oosterdam, and a heck of a lot more convenient. You can stuff a blue laundry bag for a fixed price - was $20, not sure what it is now.

And with some creative stuffing you can get a lot in one of those. Plan on a 48 hour turn-around, but often they come back the next day or even same day. But when you are out of underwear, things could get critical so it is good to conservatively plan ahead.

Welcome back to HAL - we have always found it to be very pleasurable, traditional and homey cruising. Sometimes old fashion predictability is a good thing. HAL remains a very good value choice and some of the best itineraries out there -which is one aspect where "unpredictability" translates as the joy of travel

The fact is: mass market cruise lines have changed to accommodate the changes in the attitudes of mass market cruisers. When the typical cruiser does not want to spend up to two hours at dinner, with first class service and good quality food, possibly engaging in good conversation with table mates, listening to well played background music, and dressing for the occasion; .

Honestly, this type of dinner would horrify me (especially every night and with strangers)! I am so glad things have changed or I would not be cruising at all.

Yes- what used to be a quality, all-inclusive experience has devolved into a bare-bones minimum, with extra charges for all the small touches which used to make HAL special. They have run the brand into the ground with their efforts to be all things to economy-minded cruisers.

They have held down costs, which makes cruising more frequently possible -- but by doing so, they have reduced the reason for wanting to do so.

To me, this seems like a very fair assessment.

My husband and I have had a standing joke for years that at the end of the cruise I'm going to chain myself to the bow so I don't have to go home. Just can never get enough of being at sea. But after our most recent cruise, not only was I glad to see it end, but we are reassessing plans we have for an East Coast/Canada fall cruise. We think we might prefer a driving trip with hotels, instead of a cruise.

We are 4-Star with HAL and Platinum with Princess, and to me both lines have changed a lot. I know we'll still take to the seas again if the itinerary is best done from a ship (Panama Canal, I'm looking at you!) but cruising may not be our first choice in future. Dollar for dollar, I'd rather stay in nice hotels than bump up to a luxury cruise line. Just our preference.

Honestly, this type of dinner would horrify me (especially every night and with strangers)! I am so glad things have changed or I would not be cruising at all.

Of course, it's not for everyone - but a leisurely meal with a group (who are less "strangers" every evening) to share experiences and ideas - something like a serial dinner party - is an experience not available anywhere else. Frankly, I like the introduction of my-time, or free-style: people who do not like that sort of social interaction select themselves out --- with the result that those of us who do prefer traditional cruise ship are far more likely to find themselves with a compatible group.

I frankly am horrified by the concept of two weeks worth of fast food, in and out in 20 minute dining, surrounded by people who feel uncomfortable when wearing anything more formal than tee shirts, flip flops and shorts.

It is a good thing that choices are offered.

I frankly am horrified by the concept of two weeks worth of fast food, in and out in 20 minute dining, surrounded by people who feel uncomfortable when wearing anything more formal than tee shirts, flip flops and shorts.

I have NEVER experienced this on HAL and, in any venue. Of course I do not cruise in the Carribean, where this might happen.

Edited by Tennessee Titan

I have NEVER experienced this on HAL and, in any venue. Of course I do not cruise in the Carribean, where this might happen.

Fortunately, that does not happen on HAL - I had been responding to a poster who expressed horror at the concept of traditional (assigned) dining as still fairly well provided on HAL. The extreme opposite to traditional is what is practiced on NCL - and the conditions I mentioned are pretty much all there is in their main dining rooms.

Of course, it's not for everyone - but a leisurely meal with a group (who are less "strangers" every evening) to share experiences and ideas - something like a serial dinner party - is an experience not available anywhere else. Frankly, I like the introduction of my-time, or free-style: people who do not like that sort of social interaction select themselves out --- with the result that those of us who do prefer traditional cruise ship are far more likely to find themselves with a compatible group.

This thread is about what has changed on HAL over the years. Many people have been posting that they do not like these changes. My point is that many people like the changes and we cruising because of these changes. I only started cruising in 2013 and, for the most part, I like what HAL has to offer. I find long meals to be a chore. There are many other things that I can be doing on a cruise (or on land) than eating for two hours. Perhaps, this is why I prefer eating at the Lido? In fact, maybe HAL would get even more business if they took out the MDR entirely. Times changes and long sit down meals may be the way of the Passenger Pigeon.

Edited by ChinaShrek