Booking in Canadian dollar

Does anyone know what the exchange rate is with Carnival? Thank you

Hi

Carnival does not book in CDN$. If you book with their website, your credit card will be charged in US$ and you will pay the current rate your card charges. If you call them they can tell you the rate.

If you book through a TA, they will book through Carnival in US$ and your TA will control the exchange. Again, ask ahead what the rate will be.

Best option when you are paying in US$ is to get a US$ credit card linked to a US$ savings/checking account. You will always know what your exchange rate is, you will also be able to get interest to your account. Also with the US$ credit card, for any US$ purchases, you will never be paying additional exchange fees.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

I just made final payment this week for my upcoming cruise and when it hit my CC was charged 1.38 which is pretty crappy but it's a family cruise, so I didn't want to back out. Even with a USD account, the exchange rate is less than 1% better and you have to maintain a minimum of $2,000 US at all times in the account. That is with TD bank. My only consolation is that my flight and hotel room worked out to be free with all the points I had on my card. Can't win them all!

Hi

Carnival does not book in CDN$. If you book with their website, your credit card will be charged in US$ and you will pay the current rate your card charges. If you call them they can tell you the rate.

If you book through a TA, they will book through Carnival in US$ and your TA will control the exchange. Again, ask ahead what the rate will be.

Best option when you are paying in US$ is to get a US$ credit card linked to a US$ savings/checking account. You will always know what your exchange rate is, you will also be able to get interest to your account. Also with the US$ credit card, for any US$ purchases, you will never be paying additional exchange fees.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

I just made final payment this week for my upcoming cruise and when it hit my CC was charged 1.38 which is pretty crappy but it's a family cruise, so I didn't want to back out. Even with a USD account, the exchange rate is less than 1% better and you have to maintain a minimum of $2,000 US at all times in the account. That is with TD bank. My only consolation is that my flight and hotel room worked out to be free with all the points I had on my card. Can't win them all!

My Amazon Rewards Visa has been charging at 1.35 all week...are you sure you aren't getting hit with hidden exchange fees? That's what happened with me and Scotiabank...in order to find the fee I had to read my agreement which linked to another agreement which linked to another agreement where I finally found the charge which was in excess of 2% and built into the conversion so you'd never see it.

Carnival charged me CAD funds, I talked to Personal VP and she was able to bill me in CAD funds. My receipt and credit card charge are both In Canadian funds. As to what exhcange rate they used, I am not a 100% sure, I would assume the current rate was used at the time.

Edited by DoogieCan

Does anyone know what the exchange rate is with Carnival? Thank you

I have a US Dollar Credit card and I booked my cruise on that and I have a US Dollar bank account all thru BMO and pay it off that way. I can always go to the currency exchange and get better rate on the exchange and convert money that way and pay off my CC in US cash. You can manage the exchange rate a little better this way. I can "buy" US cash when the dollar is better and keep in my US Dollar account. On my 2013 cruise was charged on my Canadian Credit Card in US dollars- but at that time the dollar was at par so it did not matter.

I closed my USD account when my bank started charging a fee if you maintain less than 2K in the account. That works out to just under 3K CDN with the current exchange rate. This is nothing more than greed on the bank's part. I choose to pay for the cruise on my first class Visa as I get cancellation insurance and medical coverage on it plus I get 3 points for ever $ charged. The insurance itself is worth a lot.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Forums mobile app