Panama New Locks

Fuzzyape

So I was checking on the Princess website. I didn't see any full transit through the new locks for the next couple of years. If I'm incorrect please let me know. Does anyone know when I might be able to get a full transit through the new canal?

So I was checking on the Princess website. I didn't see any full transit through the new locks for the next couple of years. If I'm incorrect please let me know. Does anyone know when I might be able to get a full transit through the new canal?

Here's a link to a current thread about the new locks which probably won't see many full canal crossings by non-Panamax ships because the new locks are more expensive.

Princess only has 10-day partial canal trips roundtrip from Ft Lauderdale beginning in October 2017.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2427388

Edited by Astro Flyer

My understanding has been that most cruise ships that would require the use of the new locks are also too tall to fit under the Bridge of the Americas. I'm not sure how accurate that is. The only post-Panamax vessel I have seen announce a full transit thus far has been NCL with intention to send the Bliss from Europe to Alaska via the new locks. That sailing is not yet bookable.

Princess does not intend to deploy a post-Panamax vessel from the US East coast to Alaska for 2017 or 2018, so for the foreseeable future they will only have the Carribben Princess doing the partial transit using the new locks round trip Ft Lauderdale. The Island and Coral will continue to use the old locks.

Additionally the demand for full canal transits on post-Panamax ships may not be there. Many lines have decreased the number of full transits in recent years.

Thanks to all the responders.

Disappointing....but maybe I'll keep my fingers crossed. Saw some of the gates when we did the full transit. Which peaked my interest for the new locks. Ah well. Will just have to keep my eyes peeled.

Counting down the days.

Very simple answer: itineraries are planned two years in advance and the new Panama Canal locks were delayed multiple times. Princess couldn't plan itineraries until the Canal was opened or they were sure it would open. The new locks opened just this past July. Thus, no itineraries through the new locks could be planned for the next year as those itineraries were released well over a year ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for the information!

Will keep an eye out for dates in 2019 :)

Pam you are right, the new locks had many delays (when we were going through the old locks, the workage had been stopped on the new locks. What I loved (as we were touring the old locks, a question had been asked about the timeline for the new, and our guide [working the tourist speak] had stated that they would be done by Dec 2015). I chuckled to myself.

Counting down the days.