When? (Travel Protection, Air, Pre-cruise, Excursions, Post-cruise)

bUU

When is the earliest that Holland America generally makes cruise line excursions available through the customize your cruise tool for Alaska cruises? (There is at least one excursion we want that apparently sells out as soon as it is offered, so I need to know when to start checking daily.)

When is the earliest that Holland America generally make cruise line airline arrangements available for Alaska cruises? (My HAL PCP said twelve months prior, but I don't see how that's possible given that the airlines don't allow you to book until 330 days prior.)

When is the latest Holland America allows you to add/remove/change Travel Protection? (I'm a little surprised that HAL PCP booked the cruise without even trying to sell me on the Travel Protection.)

When is the earliest that Holland America make pre-cruise packages available? (Is it true that these arrangements aren't locked-in until final payment, so if something better comes along we can change until then?)

I have seen excursions offered anywhere from 4 months to 12 months prior. There is no one schedule. You just have to watch the website.
How about more than 12 months prior? Or can I take it easy for six months or so before I have to get vigilant?

For my Caribbean cruise coming in January, I was able to book excursions 13 months ahead of time. Also was able to buy liquor packages at that time.

But I was not able to make a PG dinner reservation until 3 months prior to embarkation.

For excursions, I think it all depends on when their tour operators are willing to make commitments. In my case we made our reservations for our excursions way in advance, but over time they kept adding new excursions.

I have never cancelled anything, but I understand you can do that anytime before embarkation.

We have been able to book excursions anywhere from 7 - 8 months out for Alaska. But there is no set rule when HAL will have the excursions available.

I make all our own air and hotel arrangements -- cheaper than HAL -- plus I use points to book the hotels.

We have always been able to purchase HAL's CPP Platinum insurance 1 day before final payment. We also buy other medical insurance.

We have been able to book excursions anywhere from 7 - 8 months out for Alaska. But there is no set rule when HAL will have the excursions available.

I make all our own air and hotel arrangements -- cheaper than HAL -- plus I use points to book the hotels.

We have always been able to purchase HAL's CPP Platinum insurance 1 day before final payment. We also buy other medical insurance.

Just did this! Had them add it Wednesday, final payment yesterday.

I couldn't touch the price to be honest. Spent eons of time on Insure my Trip and other sites. HAL won which surprised me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Other medical insurance?

Cruise line medical insurance is usually amazingly low. HAL's Platinum plan gives only $10,000 medical insurance. I doubt that would even cover a simple broken bone. Unless you have medical insurance that covers you outside of the US or are independently wealthy, $10,000 is not enough.

I wonder if our medical insurance would cover us in Alaska.

It is a US state and thus you should be okay but would not hurt to check- even Medicare covers you in Alaska!

Extra insurance may be for the possibility of being treated / off loaded in a Canadian port for your cruise. The HAL insurance is way too low, as stated, so I also get extra medical insurance for foreign ports.

The biggest risk you take going without extra medical insurance, is if you have to airlifted in a medical evacuation. This can cost more than $100,000 and is not covered in normal insurance. Travel Insurance from one of the top insurance companies covers this possibility along with cancellation insurance.

The insurance I recently purchased from Allianz thru my travel agent covers a maximum $1 million medical evacuation. Also it covers cancellation (due to several reasons) of the cruise fare, airline tickets and hotel. The cost was $400 for two people on an 11 day cruise. But cost depends on age and physical condition.

I used to never buy insurance at all, but we are older now, and I need to start thinking of stuff that can happen.

If you are young (under 60), and have no medical issues, I would not worry about insurance.

If you are young (under 60), and have no medical issues, I would not worry about insurance.

What about an accident? I have a friend who was taking dance lessons on board a ship. She fell resulting in a compound fracture of her arm. She had to be taken to hospital in the next port, have surgery, and then fly to next port. That could happen to anyone at any age.

Just did this! Had them add it Wednesday, final payment yesterday.

I couldn't touch the price to be honest. Spent eons of time on Insure my Trip and other sites. HAL won which surprised me.

The difference between the coverage from HAL vs anything thru Insure my Trip are not even in the same planet... the difference in coverage is huge!

What about an accident? I have a friend who was taking dance lessons on board a ship. She fell resulting in a compound fracture of her arm. She had to be taken to hospital in the next port, have surgery, and then fly to next port. That could happen to anyone at any age.

Yes, there is always the possibility of something like that happening. However the odds are very low, and I was willing to take that risk. As you get older, the odds change, and the risk becomes greater. I don't like to buy insurance, so I never do, in low risk situations unless it is required. I always buy the minimum required for auto insurance. But that is just me, others buy lots of insurance, so they can relax and enjoy the cruise.

We have cruised for many years without any insurance at all, but now we are older and the risk is greater, so for the first time I have purchased a very comprehensive policy.

To the OP, keep in mind that while you are at sea, you are in a foreign country, and you won't be covered by your insurance. I believe the one exception would be if you are very close to the US shoreline. I believe your insurance is good if you are within 13.8 miles of the US shoreline, which occurs quite a bit during most Alaska cruises.

We have always been able to purchase HAL's CPP Platinum insurance 1 day before final payment.

I believe we purchased HAL's cancellation insurance when we made final payment, which was a day or two before the due date.
For most of our cruising life you had to buy the Platinum CPP (that is, the one has some medical) within 10 days of booking if you wanted it to cover pre-existing conditions. That changed a few years ago, and now the deadline is 1 day before the final payment is due. Edited by jtl513

To the OP, keep in mind that while you are at sea, you are in a foreign country, and you won't be covered by your insurance. I believe the one exception would be if you are very close to the US shoreline. I believe your insurance is good if you are within 13.8 miles of the US shoreline, which occurs quite a bit during most Alaska cruises.

My medical insurance covers me anywhere in the world, so you can't make a blanket statement about all policies. I *do* buy travel insurance but more for the what if I have to fly home because of a death in the family scenario more than covering medical costs.

My medical insurance covers me anywhere in the world, so you can't make a blanket statement about all policies. I *do* buy travel insurance but more for the what if I have to fly home because of a death in the family scenario more than covering medical costs.

Dear Alwaysfrantic, this blanket statement is wise and correct advice for the majority of posters on this website. Your coverage is rather unusual and everyone should start with the idea that they do NOT have Medical Insurance protection until (like you) they research their current coverage, benefits and deductibles and determine they either have or do NOT have coverage.

It is amazing to me that so many cruisers just assume (often wrongly) that they are covered by Medicare, their employers coverage etc. and while many credit cards have some protection the limits of coverage are often very low, with restrictions that need to be clearly understood.

I would not want a New Cruiser to read your Blanket Statement and assume they too are covered.

Each cruiser should investigate their own situation and not ASSUME a broken leg in Barbados or a Heart Attack in Italy is a risk that is covered or affordable.

PS and Evacuation Coverage which can runs 10's of thousands of dollars is a whole other topic!

Edited by JVilleGal

My insurance actually covers some things while in other countries as well. But the benefits are much reduced than if I was in the US. It will only cover a trip to the emergency room or doctor, but has a small maximum amount it will pay. There is no coverage for a hospital stay, surgery, lab work, or medications.

So I should have said everybody should check what their insurance will cover. I think it is a good bet that 90% or more policies have reduced, or no coverage in foreign countries.