Aft cabin not for us

Sailingpeace

Back to report on the Aft Facing Neptune Suite #7142.

We LOVED it..loved the balcony that wraps around the ship..loved the room (although it is a tad smaller).

You can feel a little vibration but it was not at all intrusive to us. You can feel the motion as well but we loved it.

The rocking was minimal (except for the last night, seas a bit rough but even then, kinda cool.), it is a different motion than other cabins we've had but we really liked it..We will book an aft facing Neptune suite EVERY time we are able! If that is on the Westerdam, we would choose a deck 5 aft wrap NS. Much larger and walk won't kill you..:). It's actually near to the aft elevator which goe right to the Lido and near MDR.

Hope you like it too

Edited by dee2673

Over the years we've had several aft balconies and loved them all. We have one in 28 days on the NA and are so looking forward to it. They can get hot since the wind doesn't blow on them but still are they wonderful to relax on. We always book the one on end next to wrap and that way we can see out the side also.

If an aft cabin deck wasn't covered I wouldn't want it. I sat out on the Zuiderdam Sea View Pool deck one morning to read and was pelted with bits of tar coming from the smoke stack. It wasn't hot but it was gooey.

I went to the front desk to show them my clothing and new visor dotted with the tar. They authorized free laundry for the items and laundry removed the gook but it was a hassle I didn't need.

Was surprised to see the negative posts on aft cabins. We have an aft VB balcony upcoming on Eurodam and are excited about it. To me most afts are premium cabins and sell out quickly. I understand that some ships have aft layouts that are not optimal (noise from above, soot from stacks, etc.) but barring that we loved the aft suite we had on an 11 night NCL and look forward to the Eurodam.

What we enjoyed was a sense of privacy, serenity that you have watching the wake with few cabins around you. JMHO

Was surprised to see the negative posts on aft cabins. We have an aft VB balcony upcoming on Eurodam and are excited about it. To me most afts are premium cabins and sell out quickly. I understand that some ships have aft layouts that are not optimal (noise from above, soot from stacks, etc.) but barring that we loved the aft suite we had on an 11 night NCL and look forward to the Eurodam.

What we enjoyed was a sense of privacy, serenity that you have watching the wake with few cabins around you. JMHO

I agree, we love them. However, we don't like uncovered balconies, no matter where on the ship they are located. On some HAL ships aft balconies are uncovered. But on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam they are covered. We have an aft balcony on our upcoming cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

To me most afts are premium cabins and sell out quickly.
We grabbed a port aft suite the day the cruise become available for booking, and have proceeded to watch about two thirds of the mid-ship suites in the same class category book up while the other aft suites remains available, and these are aft suites with wraparound balconies, so I would have expected them to be snapped up quickly like you said. Eight of the ten aft corner suites are still available.

We grabbed a port aft suite the day the cruise become available for booking, and have proceeded to watch about two thirds of the mid-ship suites in the same class category book up while the other aft suites remains available, and these are aft suites with wraparound balconies, so I would have expected them to be snapped up quickly like you said. Eight of the ten aft corner suites are still available.

I'm very happy that other passengers seem to prefer the mid-ship suites. Less competition for the aft-wraps. Wouldn't book anything else if I have a choice.

I'm very happy that other passengers seem to prefer the mid-ship suites. Less competition for the aft-wraps. Wouldn't book anything else if I have a choice.

I am not a fan of aft cabins in general, but an aft wrap is different because you can see to the sides and can look forward.

Edited by Tinknock50

I am not a fan of aft cabins in general, but an aft wrap is different because you can see to the sides and can look forward.

Actually, we didn't use the sides so much because of wind, but the huge balcony was wonderful. As others have said, you could have 40 people there.

Just off the Nieuw Amsterdam this Sunday. Had our first aft cabin, 4180. We had booked a guarantee balcony and that is what we were assigned. We really liked it! From VH to VB category, worked for me! My perception was that the interior of the cabin was a little larger than a standard balcony cabin. We didn't mind looking at the wake nor did we mind feeling the side to side motion, in fact my husband said it was like being rocked to sleep. Found the location to be soothing and peaceful when at sea and interesting when we were in port watching the dock activity. We liked that the dining room was just below and easy to get to, and didn't find it too far to walk to the front of the ship either.

We just booked a 21 day Vancouver to Ft. Lauderdale Panama Canal cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam, in your cabin 4180. Would you possibly have any pictures of the cabin and balcony ?

We just got off of the Oosterdam, 21 days in cabin 4174 (similar location to 4180 on the NA) and we loved it. Compared to standard veranda cabins, there was an extra 4-5 ft between the bed and the desk and sofa. Also, the balcony was around 8-10 ft deep, enough room to have 2 full lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs and a small table. There was about a ceiling 40% coverage, and the rest was open. The best part of deck 4 stern cabins, is when you stand at the railing and look down, all you see is water. You are not peering onto the balconies of the decks below, like you do on deck 5 and up. There was an ever so slight vibration, but only when maneuvering out of port. That is understandable because the azipods are directly under you and they are being turned to move the ship laterally away from the dock. Once under way, no sense of motion at all. If we can get a Neptune aft wrap, wonderful. If not, a deck 4 aft on deck 4 is our favorite.

We just booked a 21 day Vancouver to Ft. Lauderdale Panama Canal cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam, in your cabin 4180. Would you possibly have any pictures of the cabin and balcony ?

We just got off of the Oosterdam, 21 days in cabin 4174 (similar location to 4180 on the NA) and we loved it. Compared to standard veranda cabins, there was an extra 4-5 ft between the bed and the desk and sofa. Also, the balcony was around 8-10 ft deep, enough room to have 2 full lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs and a small table. There was about a ceiling 40% coverage, and the rest was open. The best part of deck 4 stern cabins, is when you stand at the railing and look down, all you see is water. You are not peering onto the balconies of the decks below, like you do on deck 5 and up. There was an ever so slight vibration, but only when maneuvering out of port. That is understandable because the azipods are directly under you and they are being turned to move the ship laterally away from the dock. Once under way, no sense of motion at all. If we can get a Neptune aft wrap, wonderful. If not, a deck 4 aft on deck 4 is our favorite.

Here's the one next door.

http://halfacts.com/4178-nieuw-amsterdam/

Actually, we didn't use the sides so much because of wind
I am hoping that the fact that we'll already be bundled up (or at least have the outerwear at hand) that the wind won't dissuade us. My thinking is that it would extend the period of time during which, for example, a glacier is within our view.

I am hoping that the fact that we'll already be bundled up (or at least have the outerwear at hand) that the wind won't dissuade us. My thinking is that it would extend the period of time during which, for example, a glacier is within our view.

Shouldn't be a problem. The ship probably isn't moving that fast near a glacier. Not like a sea day in the Caribbean.

Actually, we didn't use the sides so much because of wind, but the huge balcony was wonderful. As others have said, you could have 40 people there.

I didn't mean using the sides for lounging, but the ability to see in more directions would be a big plus for me. It would be good for viewing glaciers too.

I didn't mean using the sides for lounging, but the ability to see in more directions would be a big plus for me. It would be good for viewing glaciers too.

The view is fabulous. Those aft wraps on deck five of the Vista class are our favorite cabins. You certainly do have a great view.