Aft cabin not for us

Sailingpeace

Just off a 14 days in an aft cabin on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Did one earlier in the year, on the Zuiderdam. Zuiderdam balcony was big and on every other deck, was even bigger , enough for lounge chairs in addition to regular chairs. Not the case on NA. Some people love looking at the trail the ship leaves in the ocean. We did for a while but prefer view from the side of the ship. Also we found it noisy and it annoyed us sometimes when relaxing on the balcony. One on deck four, one on deck five.

We also felt somwtimes some vibration that we have not experiences mid-ship.

Wonderful cruises, but good news for people who love those cabins, we won't be trying to get one from now on.

Edited by Sailingpeace

Our problem with Aft cabins are the L-O-N-G hallway walks.

We had one deck 6 on the Zuiderdam and loved it. Next month have one on deck 7 on the Westerdam. Walking the long halls helps me get my steps in for the day. We always do stairs instead of elevators. Need to keep from gaining weight from all the good food

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just off a 14 days in an aft cabin on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Did one earlier in the year, on the Zuiderdam. Zuiderdam balcony was big and on every other deck, was even bigger , enough for lounge chairs in addition to regular chairs. Not the case on NA. Some people love looking at the trail the ship leaves in the ocean. We did for a while but prefer view from the side of the ship. Also we found it noisy and it annoyed us sometimes when relaxing on the balcony. One on deck four, one on deck five.

Wonderful cruises, but good news for people who love those cabins, we won't be trying to get one from now on.

I could not agree with you more. We had one once and the vibration was so bad that we felt we could not fully enjoy the cruise. We got very little sleep on that cruise.

Never again.

Terri

Issue I have with Aft Cabins is the "shimmy" vibration motion compared to the nice Rolling Motion one gets toward the Bow. Of course not having any issues with motion sickness helps.

I do enjoy watching the wake, but not as much as I love hearing the waves crash against the bow with the Cabin door open. Sounds like being at the Beach.

To each their own, but we always book a Balcony toward the Bow.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I could not agree with you more. We had one once and the vibration was so bad that we felt we could not fully enjoy the cruise. We got very little sleep on that cruise.

Never again.

Terri

Funny how different people like things...we slept extra well with the vibrations. I think they are felt more on the lower decks, however. I think we felt less movement of the ship

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Add me to the anti aft list! We got a free upgrade from a SS to the SB aft wrap suite on Rotterdam deck our first HAL cruise.

We were lucky that first cruise on Noordam. Went from a Balcony to a cheap paid up sell to the SS. Double checked the docs online before heading out and our boarding passes were changed. No warning.. nothing .. just now everything was for the SB Suite. We were excited.

Except... while we loved the balcony we didn't like the rumble and the shudder the room did. Loved the room except when the seas were rough. We could feel it back there.

It worked though.. fell in love with the Neptune Lounge and the other perks. So now we try to go for the SC on Rotterdam deck for the cost and location.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Aft cabins have a lot of fans. And there are also those of us that prefer not to have them. You are not alone. It's not our location of choice either.

We prefer to be more midship for a smoother ride, less vibration, etc.

Issue I have with Aft Cabins is the "shimmy" vibration motion compared to the nice Rolling Motion one gets toward the Bow. Of course not having any issues with motion sickness helps.

I do enjoy watching the wake, but not as much as I love hearing the waves crash against the bow with the Cabin door open. Sounds like being at the Beach.

To each their own, but we always book a Balcony toward the Bow.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It has often been pointed out here on this forum that leaving the balcony door open causes other cabins in your section, especially insides, to become sweltering. All the cool air will rush to your cabin trying to cool it down while the surrounding cabins heat up as a result.

I'm sure you didn't realize that or you wouldn't have mentioned leaving the door open here. I am so glad that I learned that little fact here on CC right after we booked our first balcony. As much as I love hearing the water rush by, I limit the pleasure to when I am actually sitting on the balcony.

We tried an aft cabin once and it was nice for a few days. Then we got tired of always looking at where we had been.

It was on our first Bermuda cruise and while docked in Hamilton, instead of a street view or a lovely harbour view, we were treated to the view of the commercial dock behind us. We sat on the balcony and watched containers being unloaded.

On our return trip to Bermuda we made sure we had a side balcony with a lovely harbour view.

Just to clarify, this thread is referencing aft-facing cabins. It is not about port and starboard aft cabins.

We were on the Niew Amsterdam earlier this year and I noticed more than the usual cavitation/vibration at times while in the MDR.

Just to clarify, this thread is referencing aft-facing cabins. It is not about port and starboard aft cabins.

We were on the Niew Amsterdam earlier this year and I noticed more than the usual cavitation/vibration at times while in the MDR.

Our absolute favorite cabins are those wonderful deck five aft wraps on the vista class ships. Those wonderful aft wrap neptune suites have the features of both.

The cabin I was referring to was an aft facing cabin.

We love aft cabins. Noise and vibrations have never bothered us, but I suppose it depends on ship and what deck you are on.

You can still people watch from one of these cabins, and there is no concern for which side will be facing the pier - you can watch the activity on the pier and on the harbor side as well.

On most ships the balconies are larger back there too.

One more thing, we love watching the dolphins play in the wake, they can usually be seen on the sides too, but the biggest show is in the wake.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. So it all works out. However, because there are so few aft cabins, they cannot satisfy the demand by those who love them.

No matter how many posts you put up correcting the terminology, people here will continue to refer to aft facing cabins as aft cabins. It is a colloquialism here, even if is not technically correct.

No matter how many posts you put up correcting the terminology, people here will continue to refer to aft facing cabins as aft cabins. It is a colloquialism here, even if is not technically correct.

Thanks, Tom. I know that you get it. I only try because there may be a newbie that could be confused. :D Actually I noticed a change - for a short time- the last time.

Edited by Heartgrove

Speaking of aft-facing cabins, any more recent reports about the ones lately installed on the Prinsendam?

They faced a litany of complaints on prior threads, so I wonder if those have abated or still continue. Noise and vibration seemed to top the lists.

Last year I also noted aft-facing cabins on the Prinsendam appeared to be available at a less than premium price, compared to the other traditional verandah locations. Was that acknowledgment they also knew these remained problematic cabin choices?

Speaking of aft-facing cabins, any more recent reports about the ones lately installed on the Prinsendam?

They faced a litany of complaints on prior threads, so I wonder if those have abated or still continue. Noise and vibration seemed to top the lists.

Last year I also noted aft-facing cabins on the Prinsendam appeared to be available at a less than premium price, compared to the other traditional verandah locations. Was that acknowledgment they also knew these remained problematic cabin choices?

The problems seemed to be less than other cruises on our last cruise from what I heard.

the huge inside cabin (which is about the size of an SY) had no issues. (Of course that is an original P'dam cabin that was just moved).

Part of the issues were solved though because the pool was not completely filled and we had later docking times.

I did hear complaints still but they did not match prior cruises and it seemed to vary by cabin. Still issues there for many, and one still needed a "sleeping" cabin but some seemed to have no problems.

There was a comment on another thread where OP stated they didn't like aft balconies because they didn't like facing away from the direction of travel, ie, travelling backwards.

Some one asked if they ensured their chairs in the MDR faced the bow?

And? I am missing the point here.:confused: