Aft cabin not for us

Sailingpeace

We will be in an act facing cabin next week for the first time. We specifically chose this cabin based on stuff I read here. I love the idea of the aft wrap balcony. We are not too concerned about the view ..I mean it's all water right...side,front or rear? Maybe it will matter , we shall see..and about the vibration as well. I'm glad we decided to try it. Hoping we love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will be in an act facing cabin next week for the first time. We specifically chose this cabin based on stuff I read here. I love the idea of the aft wrap balcony. We are not too concerned about the view ..I mean it's all water right...side,front or rear? Maybe it will matter , we shall see..and about the vibration as well. I'm glad we decided to try it. Hoping we love it.

Aft cabins seem to be something that people love or strongly dislike, there doesn't seem to much middle ground. My wife and I love them.

Let us know when you come back what you think.

And? I am missing the point here.:confused:

Many of us were also confused. The poster and wife did not want an aft facing cabin since they would be uncomfortable not sitting where they faced the direction of travel. They were asked how they dealt with that issue in the MDR? Did they insist on having two chairs that both faced the direction of travel? Did they walk backwards when they were travelling from the bow to the stern?

We had one deck 6 on the Zuiderdam and loved it. Next month have one on deck 7 on the Westerdam. Walking the long halls helps me get my steps in for the day. We always do stairs instead of elevators. Need to keep from gaining weight from all the good food

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We will be in aft wrap on westerdam 7th floor in June, can't wait to hear how it goes, we have 24 days in there so I hope they are awesome!

Sent from my VS986 using Forums mobile app

I remember my favorite spot on a 50 day Rotterdam cruise (Passage to Indonesia) when we had an ocean view cabin was on the lower aft decks - looking out over the roaring seas as we steamed towards our fabulous new destinations. We were looking backwards at the memories of what we had just seen, trying to hold on them just a little longer.

However, the obviously only place to be when coming into Port Said and the entrance to Suez Canal that hot, sultry early morning at 4am was forward. Crows Nest it was. But for just sheer laziness on sea days, that aft view was pretty dramatic.

Edited by OlsSalt

Just to clarify, this thread is referencing aft-facing cabins. It is not about port and starboard aft cabins.

We were on the Niew Amsterdam earlier this year and I noticed more than the usual cavitation/vibration at times while in the MDR.

So.. As you pointed out, this is about aft facing balconies. What the heck does your MDR experience have to do with that?

I'm just saying!

So.. As you pointed out, this is about aft facing balconies. What the heck does your MDR experience have to do with that?

I'm just saying!

I believe Heartgrove referred to the MDR because on the Niew Amsterdam, and most ships, it is at the very rear end of the ship.

However, the MDR is on a much lower deck than rooms with balconies, so it stands to reason that it would have more noise and vibration.

While on the aft wrap on Noordam it also bothered me that the wake wasn't even on both sides. My side was substantially more "wakey. "

The wrap around views were fantastic other than the lopsided wake. [emoji3][emoji3]

Edited by IndyDenise

While on the aft wrap on Noordam it also bothered me that the wake wasn't even on both sides. My side was substantially more "wakey. "

The wrap around views were fantastic other than the lopsided wake. [emoji3][emoji3]

Were you cruising in the northern or southern hemisphere?. Water flows more readily down hill, you know. :p

"We will be in aft wrap on westerdam 7th floor in June, can't wait to hear how it goes, we have 24 days in there so I hope they are awesome!"

Well, we will be in an aft wrap this coming Saturday (Dec 10), also on deck 7, also on the Westerdam. We will let you know..:)

"We will be in aft wrap on westerdam 7th floor in June, can't wait to hear how it goes, we have 24 days in there so I hope they are awesome!"

Well, we will be in an aft wrap this coming Saturday (Dec 10), also on deck 7, also on the Westerdam. We will let you know..:)

We loved the deck five aft wrap on Westerdam. The walks are good for you.

We loved the deck five aft wrap on Westerdam. The walks are good for you.

That's what we keep telling ourselves! We love our aft-facing balcony staterooms, but, dang, sometimes I think they stretch the ship over the course of the cruise!

That's what we keep telling ourselves! We love our aft-facing balcony staterooms, but, dang, sometimes I think they stretch the ship over the course of the cruise!

My wife likes to walk and climb stairs. I have been known to tell her go ahead, I'll meet you in the Lido.

My wife likes to walk and climb stairs. I have been known to tell her go ahead, I'll meet you in the Lido.

You sound like my hubby. He's not a fan of the stairs, but I more or less force it on him...penance for all the eating and drinking. ;)

Hope the anti-aft campaign gathers strength. That way I can reserve mine and, if demand goes down, maybe deals get better.

Seriously, we all have our likes and dislikes. But I love aft-balcony cabins, as long as the balcony is deep. Had one aft on MSC trans-Atlantic from FLL to Kiel that was so small it was unusable.

Now here is a twist. In less than 14 days we'll being an Antarctica sail-by on the HAL Zaandam. Now that itinerary is tailor-made for aft balconies. I'm looking forward to our cabin on Dec 7. It is a lowly OV but it overlooks the ship's wake. And just a few steps away is a wonderful terrace that allows a 180-degree sweep. (Our cabin is a bit obstructed by steps to the Lido level but we can live with that. Too cold for lots of people to move around outside.

Here is a picture of the terrace: https://goo.gl/images/KFs9d4

Edited by barante

If you want to see an aft balcony, look at the third frame from the left on the top row.

Edited by RocketMan275

• 2 weeks later...

Please do, hope it's a great time!

Sent from my VS986 using Forums mobile app

Just off the Nieuw Amsterdam this Sunday. Had our first aft cabin, 4180. We had booked a guarantee balcony and that is what we were assigned. We really liked it! From VH to VB category, worked for me! My perception was that the interior of the cabin was a little larger than a standard balcony cabin. We didn't mind looking at the wake nor did we mind feeling the side to side motion, in fact my husband said it was like being rocked to sleep. Found the location to be soothing and peaceful when at sea and interesting when we were in port watching the dock activity. We liked that the dining room was just below and easy to get to, and didn't find it too far to walk to the front of the ship either.

We just got home from 14 lovely days on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I will be posting a review soon.

We were in 8163 which is a VF quite near the stern. We were not much bothered by vibration, motion, or noise from the pool area. While this is not particularly relevant to this thread, the following may be.

While on board, we booked the 12/2/17 18 day Circle Hawaii on the Oosterdam (Cyber Sale!). After careful deliberation, we picked an aft-facing cabin on deck 5. Since the cruise has 10 sea days, the deep, protected balcony sounded like a good idea.

I will report back on our experience in a little over a year from now...