Stinger-pr's fascinating honeymoon, Fascination cruise review- Oct. 16-23, 2016

Stinger-pr

Here are a few shots of the ship and the nice waterfront:

canon%20110hs%20006_zpsbahqolxl.jpg

canon%20110hs%20008-a_zpsp1adxejh.jpg

canon%20110hs%20009_zpsbgpuqsyr.jpg

This is the terminal entrance and where the drop-off point is. At any given time from when debarkation begins until late in the afternoon of embarkation, this will be a very busy place.

canon%20110hs%20029_zpsnebjusna.jpg

We arrived at the pier at 2:20pm, parked the car at the drop-off driveway, handed the porters our two pieces of luggage and tipped them (usually the “norm” around here is $2 per piece). They asked us if we had our tags in place or if we needed them to secure them to the luggage but we were set already so they took the bags away while we took our carry-ons. (FREE TIP: Have your IDs and boarding passes on hand as soon as you exit the taxi or before you get to the checkpoint since they will ask for them before you move forward). My last two trips, especially the first one, the check in lines were very, very long. Second time was a bit better, but this time there was no lines…ANYWHERE!!!!. Not at the check point outside, not at the check-in counter, not at the x-ray machine, not anywhere!! One note, be sure to have your health questionnaire filled out BEFORE you get to the pier to save time and hassle. This is part of the cruise documents you print out when printing your boarding passes. Just after you pass the checkpoint but before you actually enter the terminal, there will be someone asking for them. If you do not have them filled out, there are a couple of tables with blanks and pens to do so. Also, for those of you that like to document your travel, there are no pictures allowed once inside the terminal. Only the “welcome aboard” pics from Carnival (the first of too-freakin’-many pictures we took) are allowed.

At the check-in counter you will be asked for your passes, ID and credit card if you haven’t already set up an expense account online with Carnival. I had set up a cash account online and while I had previously handed the service agent my cash at this point, this time I had the option (since I had prepaid my tips) to add cash once on board at Guest Services or at the kiosks. I opted to do it later at the kiosks since I had bought some cruise cash already anyway and had some on-board credit too. If you have not pre-paid your tips, you need to do so at this point by adding cash or linking your credit card to your Sail and Sign account since tips are debited from there on the second day and you won’t be able to make any purchases on the ship until you do so. Once we finished checking in they told us where to go to go through the TSA scanners and that our room was ready to use.

Beyond the TSA scanners one change was implemented since last year that will affect a select few. Now, by including this part it does not mean that I practice or condone the smuggling of alcohol into the ships. This is a controversial topic with its own various threads here on Cruise Critic so take this as a “Public Service Announcement” for those who incur in this practice. When the Liberty and the Valor were home ported in San Juan, the gangway to board the ship was a long, zig-zagging tunnel where the ship’s security would be at the end, on the deck waiting to confiscate any liquor or beverages over the allowed limit per person. They spot these items at the TSA scanner and place an orange tag on your bags to let security know they needed to check your bag to confiscate any alcohol, etc as soon as you set foot on the deck. On your way from the TSA scanners to the ship’s deck one could cut the orange tag, hide it, hide the bag inside another (if small enough), change the bottles into a different bag….whatever…inside the gangway since there were no cameras, no TSA or security looking. Now you guys are S.O.L. The security and confiscations desk is RIGHT THERE as you exit the scanner and they have you in plain view. No way or time to make any adjustments to hide whatever you’re trying to drink onboard. If you do they WILL see you.

I'm confused 🤷*♀️ lol why would anyone try to smuggle in their carry on bag? I'm assuming this is what you mean?

In Puerto Rico can you still take 1 bottle of wind and a 13 pack of cans per person? In your carry on ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm confused 🤷*♀️ lol why would anyone try to smuggle in their carry on bag? I'm assuming this is what you mean?

In Puerto Rico can you still take 1 bottle of wind and a 13 pack of cans per person? In your carry on ?

It's a way to bring on booze that isn't allowed, to save money on buying drinks. I've never tried in a carry on. I have been successful in bringing on a bottle when at one of the ports.

It's a way to bring on booze that isn't allowed, to save money on buying drinks. I've never tried in a carry on. I have been successful in bringing on a bottle when at one of the ports.

No no I know what smuggling is. I meant why would you be so ridiculous to try to do it in your carry on and not your checked bag. lol

What a great review!

We are taking this cruise in October.

Hey stinger-pr, somewhere in the review you mention working for the Marriott, I believe. We are coming to PR a few days early and want to use our Marriott points for our stay. Can you recommend at which Marriott property we should stay? Which is closer to the port, or is just a nicer property to stay for a few days?

Come on, now... You know I can't really say that in public...lol. I can say this: There are 6 properties under 5 corporate Marriott brand in the Isla Verde/Condado area. The Courtyard Marriott and Ritz Carlton in Isla Verde, AC Hotel, Renaissance La Concha and Marriott Stellaris in Condado and Courtyard Marriott in Miramar. The CY Miramar and the AC are not beach front/resort properties. La Concha is more upscale with a less than stellar beach. Stellaris, CY Isla Verde and Ritz Carlton (pricey, luxury) Isla Verde are full beachfront resorts with the two in Isla Verde having (in my opinion) the best beach.

The Condado hotels are near vibrant nightlife and restaurants and closer to port. The ones in Isla Verde are closer to the airport, on a great beach and close to a bunch of restaurants ranging from fast food to upscale dinning. I'd stay away from the AC and the CY Miramar just because you seem to be looking for more amenities and features and those two lack them. And as a word of caution, during wavy ocean days, the beaches of La Concha and Stellaris are a bit dangerous while the one in Isla Verde is less prone to strong currents and waves during bad weather due to a barrier reef located far from shore. There's an area with a bit of a rip current behind the CY Isla Verde but if you're watchful of the waves you'll be able to identify it's location pretty quickly.

No no I know what smuggling is. I meant why would you be so ridiculous to try to do it in your carry on and not your checked bag. lol

People try to smuggle alcohol on their checked luggage mostly on rum runners (please don't turn this into a yay/nay about them). Otherwise they will more than likely be called to the "naughty room" to have their liquor confiscated. San Juan used to have the strange trait that there was a winding walkway with no cameras or security between TSA (or ports authority personnel) and the ship's alcohol police. Even if flagged at the check point (they'd put an orange zip-tie on the bag containing the prohibited liquid) you could still do a bunch of things to hide the bag or simply cut the zip-tie altogether so as to not be stopped by ship personnel and effectively making it on board with your booze.

Now they moved the ship inspectors desk from the ship to just a few feet away from the checkpoint. So if any bag was flagged, you'd have no chance of hiding it since you'd be in plain view of the ship's personnel. You can still board with a 750mL bottle of wine per adult and up to 12- 12oz. cans of soda or juice per person (including children). But since a lot of people get on and off the ship multiple times, some have had success with bringing more as if they have just bought it and casually bringing their allowance on board for the first time.

• 2 weeks later...
Come on, now... You know I can't really say that in public...lol. I can say this: There are 6 properties under 5 corporate Marriott brand in the Isla Verde/Condado area. The Courtyard Marriott and Ritz Carlton in Isla Verde, AC Hotel, Renaissance La Concha and Marriott Stellaris in Condado and Courtyard Marriott in Miramar. The CY Miramar and the AC are not beach front/resort properties. La Concha is more upscale with a less than stellar beach. Stellaris, CY Isla Verde and Ritz Carlton (pricey, luxury) Isla Verde are full beachfront resorts with the two in Isla Verde having (in my opinion) the best beach.

The Condado hotels are near vibrant nightlife and restaurants and closer to port. The ones in Isla Verde are closer to the airport, on a great beach and close to a bunch of restaurants ranging from fast food to upscale dinning. I'd stay away from the AC and the CY Miramar just because you seem to be looking for more amenities and features and those two lack them. And as a word of caution, during wavy ocean days, the beaches of La Concha and Stellaris are a bit dangerous while the one in Isla Verde is less prone to strong currents and waves during bad weather due to a barrier reef located far from shore. There's an area with a bit of a rip current behind the CY Isla Verde but if you're watchful of the waves you'll be able to identify it's location pretty quickly.

Thanks for the info!!

• 1 month later...
I love this review but Im unable to see any of the great photos everyone is enjoying. Is there something you can do so they are visible again or is it just me. Thanks for such a well written review.

Oh boy!! I hadn't noticed this pictures thing until you pointed it out and I am FURIOUS!!! My pics are (soon they won't be) hosted at Photobucket and they turned the site into a "pay-for-everything" hosting place. This means that unless I start paying $39.99 a month no one will get to see the pictures. Soooooo...... I am debating between two things: Leaving the CC comunity without pictures to got with my three reviews (which would almost render them useless) or copy/paste the whole review, using another hosting site for the pictures. Folks, I'm open to suggestions!!

Glad I wasn't the only one who couldn't see what I assume are amazing photos! I thought it was me... We're off on this cruise in two weeks, so I've been trying to read up as much as I can. I have a question about you getting the conch shell and sand dollar. Did you have any issues getting on the ship with them? My husband and I have been collecting sand from our travels for years, and I have never had an issue, but I also would love a random shell or two, and didn't know if any of the islands had rules against it, or if US customs has a problem with it.

Glad I wasn't the only one who couldn't see what I assume are amazing photos! I thought it was me... We're off on this cruise in two weeks, so I've been trying to read up as much as I can. I have a question about you getting the conch shell and sand dollar. Did you have any issues getting on the ship with them? My husband and I have been collecting sand from our travels for years, and I have never had an issue, but I also would love a random shell or two, and didn't know if any of the islands had rules against it, or if US customs has a problem with it.

I'm still working on a solution for the pictures but it's coming. I starting to migrate the ones I used for this review to another site so I can repost. Too bad Cruise Critic has not offered the original posters of reviews to edit them in lieu of this Photobucket fiasco for the benefit of the ones that read them. Still debating on whether re-posting the whole review or just the pictures.

RE: the shells, I sneaked in a conch shell about 6 inches long and had no problems. But the key word is "sneaked". I had put it on my backpack (after rinsing it as thoroughly as I possibly could and making sure no critters were inside) and nobody said anything at the inspection point when re-boarding the ship. At the time I was ignorant to the fact this is not supposed to be done and that it could be confiscated if they decided to inspect it and had found out it was an un-processed (as in not store bought) shell, they would've confiscated it on the spot. I don't think you'll have any trouble with some small shells and sand. But the bigger conch shells will be at your own risk. Be VERY careful how you handle the sand dollars if you decide to take one. They are extremely fragile and will be left in pieces is you so much as sneeze to hard. I had no luck at all trying to bring back two I had found.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey...I can see your pictures again. Apparently there is a "fix". Just added it on to our Firefox browser. There is also one for Chrome. Head over to the "Photo & Camera Discussions" Boards. It's in the "Photobucket stop 3rd party access" thread, Page 4, Post #76. ;)

Just want you to know that everyone in the islands that are in Irma's path are in my thoughts and prayers. Hoping that somehow it will head north so any damage will be minimal. Stay safe!

Guys thank you so much for your prayers amd thoughts. Fortunately, other than some wind damage, we came out relatively well. Culebra got hit pretty hard with gusts of up to 100mph. Most of PR lost power, some due to the storm, part due to gross mismanagement and lack of proper system maintenance from the local power authority. It's coming back up now, slowly.... I made lemonade out of lemons and bbq'ed what was left of my freezer sock just now....lol. Now my thoughts and prayer go out to those in FL. It appears they're going to be hit hard as well. I have a brother with his wife and 4 month old daughter living in Orlando so it's nervous times for us here for the next few days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

How can we help, Stinger-PR? What can we do?This hurricane is so devastating. I'm so very sad for all the people whose hospitality we recently enjoyed.

kathleen21 thank you for your disposition to help and for your thoughts and prayers. It's definitely sad times, especially for those of us who visit these islands. Be it for a few hours on a port call or those who visit for a few days. Seeing the devastation in places like Barbuda and St. Martin especially (let's not forget the US VI as well) breaks my heart. Appreciated as it is, I urge you and those willing and able to help to turn your focus on those islands. Yes they have help from their respective governments (UK, France) but sometimes help it's about more than food and water and (re)construction materials (and not really about money either). They're going to need hygiene items, clothes, diapers, baby wipes, etc. Look around to see if there's a way you can make your help reach them.

Here in PR there's a major movement going from private boat owners who are collecting all sorts of stuff to take to the nearby, affected islands. Their money, their boats, their time. This was not a government summon or any effort by any agency. These are people that boat to these islands for pleasure from PR and now they're gladly giving back.

kathleen21 thank you for your disposition to help and for your thoughts and prayers. It's definitely sad times, especially for those of us who visit these islands. Be it for a few hours on a port call or those who visit for a few days. Seeing the devastation in places like Barbuda and St. Martin especially (let's not forget the US VI as well) breaks my heart. Appreciated as it is, I urge you and those willing and able to help to turn your focus on those islands. Yes they have help from their respective governments (UK, France) but sometimes help it's about more than food and water and (re)construction materials (and not really about money either). They're going to need hygiene items, clothes, diapers, baby wipes, etc. Look around to see if there's a way you can make your help reach them.

Here in PR there's a major movement going from private boat owners who are collecting all sorts of stuff to take to the nearby, affected islands. Their money, their boats, their time. This was not a government summon or any effort by any agency. These are people that boat to these islands for pleasure from PR and now they're gladly giving back.

Prayers don't help. Supplies do.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Hey, StingerPR, so glad to here from you! What I have seen of the destruction on TV is terrible. Especially ST Martin. Such a loss. Will take your advice. Wish I was a local boat owner!😜

• 5 months later...
Hey...I can see your pictures again. Apparently there is a "fix". Just added it on to our Firefox browser. There is also one for Chrome. Head over to the "Photo & Camera Discussions" Boards. It's in the "Photobucket stop 3rd party access" thread, Page 4, Post #76. ;)

Just want you to know that everyone in the islands that are in Irma's path are in my thoughts and prayers. Hoping that somehow it will head north so any damage will be minimal. Stay safe!

Hey guys... Following up on this "fix" for the dreaded Photobucket fiasco. Since the Fascination has resumed this itinerary after spending about 4 months chartered at St. Criox to house FEMA and other working on the recovery of the US Virgin Islands after hurricanes Irma and Maria, I was pondering on either copy/pasting the whole review or not and came upon this "fix". It works for those of us using Firefox and Chrome. I have not tried for Explorer.

Credit: pghsteelersfan (Thanks Holly!!)

Since we both did reviews that include pictures of our tours with Spencer (Jalousie/Sugar Beach Break; Land, Sea, and Beach Adventure) using Photobucket as a the host site for those pictures, then having our pictures "disappear" because we didn't renew membership for the $400...there is a "fix". Stinger-pr...for some reason the link to your Fascination review isn't coming up (could be temporary glitch of our computer), but your other two are. Guess what? I can see your pictures. Last time I checked, I was still able to see mine too. There was a discussion on another CC board about this and someone posted information on a way to see the pictures that had been "locked"/blocked. Attaching link to that thread (under Photo and Camera Discussions). The solution is on Page 4, Post #76 (link hopefully opening to page 4). clear.png?emoji-wink-1685

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show...2#post53948442

This may be helpful to anyone else interested in seeing pictures taken while on Spencer's tours. I've read Stinger-pr's reviews, all of them, and he's got some great pictures. I also have pictures in my reviews as well. If anyone can see them, by chance, or get's the "fix", I'll be happy to let you know which pages/posts my pictures of Spencer's tours start on. WARNING: the pictures do not do the beauty of Jalousie Beach or St. Lucia justice. It's just breathtaking.

So if you do get this fix and can see the pictures, enjoy!! Things might've changed a bit on some islands appearance-wise but it might be a good reference point for some. Happy cruising!!